Author Topic: U2 JT tour vs Guns N Roses 2017 tour  (Read 1605 times)

Offline achtung child

• Headache in a Suitcase
Re: U2 JT tour vs Guns N Roses 2017 tour
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2017, 12:51:31 AM »
The comparison is a bit impossible.  I saw GNR last year, and it was pretty incredible.  I was a bit wary of it all, but they smartly played into the Illusion-Era Guns.  After Izzy left, it was only three original members anyhow.  It was as if they picked up right off where that left off.  The improvement was night and day.  They still played most of the same set from a '92 or '93 show, but the pacing and selection was much better.   Slash and Duff have aged incredibly well, given previous habits.

The only thing I can say Guns did better than any of U2's shows is they dug deeper.  They could have easily ignored any of the albums outside of Appetite and a few other hits and covers, but they played Coma.  That would be like if U2 played God pt. 2 or Acrobat.  It's ten minutes long with three interludes that only diehards know, but the entire crowd went nuts. They were clearly out to play what they wanted to and weren't self conscious about pandering to what the audience wants.

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2017, 09:06:07 AM »
Axl has reclaimed the "Ultimate Frontman" crown from Bono/Jagger/Etc in my opinion.

Now I haven't seen U2 on JT30 (I intend to on the resumed I/E tour), I did see GnR in this tour. 2:45 if a few too many covers they are a really good nostalgia show. As for frontman...I don't know. Axl keeps running backstage (oxygen?) and vocals if at times good I feel at times he sounds whiny, I feel Jagger (Bruce as well) is better. Or, someone closer to that age, Dave Gahan from DM.

Offline CrisSky

• Babyface
  • Hello, I love U2! I am a singer as well.
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2017, 12:57:48 PM »
Ok, so now I have experienced both shows in question. Now, while I believe both bands are performing at a really high level at the moment and both tours are top notch. The Joshua Tree show just did way more for me. After reading lots of criticism on these boards about this Joshua Tree Tour I went in with no expectations. I was blown away. Maybe New Orleans just had a great crowd and a slightly better set list now that "Miss Sarajevo" is out of the encore and we also got a last minute "I Will Follow". The sound on the floor was massive and very clear. Yeah, while I respect other opinions on this subject, for me it's U2, and not just in general, but on their current tours as well. With that in mind, they are completely different bands and it's kinda hard to compare. Just depends on the person and what they like to even what state of mind they are in. I'm just glad they are both in fine form.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 01:01:25 PM by CrisSky »

Offline aviastar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2017, 01:53:04 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Ok, so now I have experienced both shows in question. Now, while I believe both bands are performing at a really high level at the moment and both tours are top notch. The Joshua Tree show just did way more for me. After reading lots of criticism on these boards about this Joshua Tree Tour I went in with no expectations. I was blown away. Maybe New Orleans just had a great crowd and a slightly better set list now that "Miss Sarajevo" is out of the encore and we also got a last minute "I Will Follow". The sound on the floor was massive and very clear. Yeah, while I respect other opinions on this subject, for me it's U2, and not just in general, but on their current tours as well. With that in mind, they are completely different bands and it's kinda hard to compare. Just depends on the person and what they like to even what state of mind they are in. I'm just glad they are both in fine form.

I can't speak for Guns and Roses (not my type of music), but the U2 TJT tour has been a pretty smashing success.  I saw 2 shows and it was fantastic both times.  I just don't think anyone puts on a show quite like U2 does.

Offline Krazejeff

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2017, 07:51:31 AM »
I'm going to make a fair assessment. I'm a gnr fan and was Ga at U2 in Toronto rogers centre and row 21 for guns in front of slash for gnr.

Axl puts a lot of effort in to his music and considering the last year or 2 what he has did he is really kicking butt for his age.

Bono was low key very mellow for U2.

I think the fans were 10 times more of a party for gnr, but look at the fans, there is a major difference, gnr was absolutely s show but fun. U2 fans were much more mature in behaviour.

One thing to note gnr put their best effort in, fans waited a long time for this also, slash is a legend.

U2 it was just another concert.

I see U2 as a very political, and world issue band, and Bono is playing writing songs about what he finds relative in the world.

Guns n roses songs are about drugs, women, partying, and just good sex drugs and rock n roll.  The purpose meaning of their music is different they both need to be appreciated for their position in the musical landscape.

I highly recommend gnr because they are doing everything they can to make sure fans get a great show.

I highly recommend U2 because their ship may be sailing soon.

Gnr may never do another tour after this one so see it if you haven't, because they will not let you down.

Offline bwm231163

• Stateless
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2017, 05:45:21 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I see U2 as a very political, and world issue band, and Bono is playing writing songs about what he finds relative in the world.

Guns n roses songs are about drugs, women, partying, and just good sex drugs and rock n roll.  The purpose meaning of their music is different they both need to be appreciated for their position in the musical landscape.

I donít entirely agree with this. As well as some of the lighter numbers, anyone attending a GNR show will hear songs about marital breakdown (Estranged), suicide (Coma) and addiction (Mr Brownstone). Axl has written his share of meaningful lyrics over the years.

I havenít seen a JT show, so canít directly compare tours. But I do think they are both excellent bands. The biggest difference is the woeful lack of new material from GNR. Since 1993, they have released 1 studio album, compared to 5 for U2.

Offline Gavin82

• Refugee
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2017, 02:03:14 PM »
I seen GnR in Stockholm 1 of the longest shows in EU having grown up with U2 GnR & DC it was AMAZING they did everything bar Get In The Ring they did 31 tracks Slash totally kicks ass he works so hard how on earth he wears them leather trousers ill never  know his solo was 10/10 of course Axl sounds different now he is getting older Friends Arena is a closed venue BUT also seen them out doors & it was much much better im really hoping we get Arenas nx year in EU its a total cash cow tho & LN Sweden are terrible was messed around loads by them.

Seen U2 in Twickenham while this is only my 2nd tour i loved seeing R H M T & I G C & R T S S live for 1st time just the screen in day light was a let down for me these are 2 totally  different shows GnR are full of energy & fast paced while id say the is JT has its moments

See Guns while you can if your a fan

Offline the_chief

• Refugee
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2017, 07:07:30 AM »
Saw both.

Both were great. Two of the best gigs I've seen. Can't compare a high energy heavy rock band with an all rounder band. May as well compare Slipknot with Simon and Garfunkal then.

One thing I will say....To the poster who said earlier that Axl's voice is currently better than Bono's, I want whatever drugs you're on. It is anything but!

Offline Kazaer

• Babyface
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2017, 02:20:56 AM »
I've seen them both perform in 2017. While the JT show was very nice, it does rank as my second to last U2 show (360 being the absolute worst). G'n'R really knocked it out of the ball park. I absolutely rate that show higher this year than U2.

Offline redrunningred

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Planet Earth Is Blue
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2017, 09:38:40 AM »
I don't think Axl's voice is better then Bono's now.  Bono's has aged but I think it has aged well. Axl might be able to hit certain notes but he sounds like an awful air raid siren while doing so.  GnR's show didn't have the power and intensity of U2's.