Author Topic: The Best Thing...enters UK charts at 92 (yes 92!)  (Read 7096 times)

Offline AchtungPop

• Staring at the Sun
  • Walk On
Re: The Best Thing...enters UK charts at 92 (yes 92!)
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2017, 04:24:59 PM »
Apparently that's only from 2 days worth of tracking. Everything is done on a Friday, so only Wed/Thurs of that chart counted for them.

Really though, rock music doesn't chart well anymore no matter what they do. Recent good singles from The Killers, Foo Fighters, & Paramore didn't chart on the Hot 100.

Offline kango

• Desert Rose
  • I know I'm not a hopeless case.
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2017, 05:38:38 PM »
I'm sorry those days of regularly cracking the top 5 - and usually going straight in at #1 with the lead single - are over but at the same time, sort of not sorry when I see what is being pumped into the charts today and how it is being consumed.

The lads had a great run and achieved things no other band their age could. Remember SYCMIOYO going to #1? That and scoring two #1s from the same album was mightily impressive for a band in their mid 40s. 

Whilst it's shocking to see how things have slipped, it reflects the way music is being streamed now rather than the quality of the song. But why no physical format? The physical chart is still one U2 can potentially top and I would have loved this on 7". 12 years ago, I was buying 3 copies of a new U2 single (the 3 varying formats all being counted towards sales). This week I've bought 0 copies of Best Thing because what is the point of buying an okay quality download when I can just stream it now and later own the lossless quality track when I have the album. And if a fan and U2 completist like me isn't buying U2's single, who is?

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2017, 07:10:51 PM »
This should be a surprise to no one. U2 has two things going against them at this point: 1) what's currently popular (a lot of electronic, auto tuned trash) and 2) their age. When's the last time a band with members in their upper 50s charted high? It doesn't happen. U2 could release the catchiest pop song and it would not chart because of their age.

Sadly, U2 seems unwilling to accept this. So they keep releasing pop rock after pop rock "hit" single. First "Get On Your Boots", then "The Miracle", and now "You're The Best Thing About Me". None did that well on the charts. They want another "Beautiful Day", they want another "Vertigo" and it's just not happening.

I don't know why they can't just accept this and be happy about the fact that they're still selling out stadiums (very few bands can do that on their own) and that they still have millions of fans. These are guys who still have it musically, who put together can make great music, but instead are cheapening themselves for the next hit. They could make a few more great albums if they just got back to writing the music they're capable, instead of what they think might "chart".

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2017, 07:30:21 PM »
Radio play charts are rigged and paid for, that's a fact. Want to know how a song is really performing these days? Number of downloads, first. Word of mouth second (being played at cafes, social, etc). Downloads can be quantified and are a decent indicator of popularity (streaming doesn't enter it, nor do illegal downloads). Word of mouth is just friggin' impossible. 30 years ago, sure -- everyone was talking about U2 in the 1980s and early 1990s. Now it's TayTay and Kanye. sh** happens, I guess.

Offline Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2017, 08:22:15 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Nothing against the song, really, but I wasn't expecting it to be a hit, really.

The Best Thing tries to be modern musically, but it isn't in major ways (very rockish and oldschool in songwriting and overall arrangement). Sadly, it's not a masterpiece either, which could help bringing some attention. Bono's voice is too strained and unnatractive in many parts of the song. Also, the marketing wasn't really good enough (more now than ever, you should not only sell the song, but also a lifestyle). Another problem is that U2 isn't really targeting a spefic audience sonically or in their marketing (even because of the history of the band of contradicting what their brand represents), which is bad in a commercial point of view. And then there's all the bad hype around U2 and the fact that they are old.

Nobody was paying attention. Nobody cared.

When you say "all the bad hype around U2" what are you referring to?

Offline Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2017, 08:27:29 PM »
I don't know a lot about the charts but I know contemporary ones use several different metrics. Depending on the chart it could be airplay or sales or streaming or a combination.

I think the UK singles chart is sales only.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 09:56:17 AM by Luzita »

Offline sierrra

• Wanderer
  • Throw a rock in the air, you hit someone quilty.
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2017, 03:14:31 AM »
Who cares? Just enjoy the song. (or not) Most of the best music never reaches the charts.   

Offline robgalloway

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2017, 06:20:32 AM »
I'd like to second Edge's Cat ... Radio plays are usually bought and paid for now. And it costs a lot of money.

When I released my album I was advised to buy Pluggers/PR/etc... and it's beyond belief how much it costs ... and there is no guarantees that the DJ will play it ... it's just to get it into their hands.

Every inch of the music industry you have to buy. U2 are probably able to still trade on a 'legend' status but ultimately the likes of Beiber/Swift etc... have the money and record company backing to buy all that exposure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Smee

• Numb
  • Im Eddie and im a Monkey
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2017, 06:44:39 AM »

Good. Maybe U2 will finally drop this pandering mentality if this song fails to chart well.

We can live in hope.

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2017, 06:46:52 AM »
I'd like to second Edge's Cat ... Radio plays are usually bought and paid for now. And it costs a lot of money.

When I released my album I was advised to buy Pluggers/PR/etc... and it's beyond belief how much it costs ... and there is no guarantees that the DJ will play it ... it's just to get it into their hands.

Every inch of the music industry you have to buy. U2 are probably able to still trade on a 'legend' status but ultimately the likes of Beiber/Swift etc... have the money and record company backing to buy all that exposure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
you technically can't buy radio airplay that was a scandal of our past.  But if you get say an iHeart to play your song you get immediately millions of plays.  So there is some rigging to it but it's not money.  The thing is no one is listening to radio anymore.  So I don't even know why these charts make a difference at all

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2017, 06:48:48 AM »
Let's face it if U2 wants to reach their fans via radio they could do an interview on NPR.  Their fans are not listing to top 40 radio

Offline Smee

• Numb
  • Im Eddie and im a Monkey
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2017, 06:50:22 AM »
Lets not kid ourselves. Its not the 60s, 70s, or even 80s anymore. The days of selling millions of singes to reach number one are long gone. Its relativley easy to chart these days. It seems that there is just no appetite for the new song, outside some of the u2 fanbase.

Just got this off the internet, relating to 2010

"sales of around 30,000 were often sufficient to reach the top ten, and a single selling over 6,000 copies could make the top forty."

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2017, 07:29:36 AM »
I'm sorry those days of regularly cracking the top 5 - and usually going straight in at #1 with the lead single - are over but at the same time, sort of not sorry when I see what is being pumped into the charts today and how it is being consumed.

The lads had a great run and achieved things no other band their age could. Remember SYCMIOYO going to #1? That and scoring two #1s from the same album was mightily impressive for a band in their mid 40s. 

Whilst it's shocking to see how things have slipped, it reflects the way music is being streamed now rather than the quality of the song. But why no physical format? The physical chart is still one U2 can potentially top and I would have loved this on 7". 12 years ago, I was buying 3 copies of a new U2 single (the 3 varying formats all being counted towards sales). This week I've bought 0 copies of Best Thing because what is the point of buying an okay quality download when I can just stream it now and later own the lossless quality track when I have the album. And if a fan and U2 completist like me isn't buying U2's single, who is?
Good point about the vertigo era. I was surprised with the success of those singles, because I didn't think they were that great and also like you say they were 'has beens' at that age even, in the pop world..

Offline lucas.homem

• Numb
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2017, 08:52:25 AM »
Nothing against the song, really, but I wasn't expecting it to be a hit, really.

The Best Thing tries to be modern musically, but it isn't in major ways (very rockish and oldschool in songwriting and overall arrangement). Sadly, it's not a masterpiece either, which could help bringing some attention. Bono's voice is too strained and unnatractive in many parts of the song. Also, the marketing wasn't really good enough (more now than ever, you should not only sell the song, but also a lifestyle). Another problem is that U2 isn't really targeting a spefic audience sonically or in their marketing (even because of the history of the band of contradicting what their brand represents), which is bad in a commercial point of view. And then there's all the bad hype around U2 and the fact that they are old.

Nobody was paying attention. Nobody cared.

When you say "all the bad hype around U2" what are you referring to?

The band is seen as uncool by too many people (young people because their new music isn't their cup of tea, but the band "force" it to them, and old people because they don't like the modernized U2), and the dislike is exarcebated because of U2's excessive marketing (Bono was everywhere in the 00s) and then there was the Apple scandal with SOI. So we have a lot of people that are loudly complainers of U2 and Bono in a sea of people that don't care for them (so their imparciality is influenced by other people's vocal opinion).

Most people react with "ew" to U2.

Offline patternshirt170

• Wanderer
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2017, 09:32:42 AM »
Our (UK/Eire) charts are based on sales and streams, radio play has nothing to with the official charts here.

Re: The 2004/2005 Bomb singles? back then you had a dedicated fanbase buying 2 CD singles, a DVD single and various other formats to send them into the Top 10 first week, that is mostly gone now and few people of that era want to buy a 'track' they can own plus several others in eight weeks or so. And btw - #92 is pretty galling, I was expecting maybe #15 o4 mid 20s or so based on the fact this was a brand new song, but as I said, you put a solitary track out and your base which grew up in an era of mulitple formats and bonus material probably won't touch it unless it's exceptional.