Author Topic: The Best Thing...enters UK charts at 92 (yes 92!)  (Read 6811 times)

Offline Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
Re: The Best Thing...enters UK charts at 92 (yes 92!)
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2017, 04:23:25 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Nothing against the song, really, but I wasn't expecting it to be a hit, really.

The Best Thing tries to be modern musically, but it isn't in major ways (very rockish and oldschool in songwriting and overall arrangement). Sadly, it's not a masterpiece either, which could help bringing some attention. Bono's voice is too strained and unnatractive in many parts of the song. Also, the marketing wasn't really good enough (more now than ever, you should not only sell the song, but also a lifestyle). Another problem is that U2 isn't really targeting a spefic audience sonically or in their marketing (even because of the history of the band of contradicting what their brand represents), which is bad in a commercial point of view. And then there's all the bad hype around U2 and the fact that they are old.

Nobody was paying attention. Nobody cared.

When you say "all the bad hype around U2" what are you referring to?

The band is seen as uncool by too many people (young people because their new music isn't their cup of tea, but the band "force" it to them, and old people because they don't like the modernized U2), and the dislike is exarcebated because of U2's excessive marketing (Bono was everywhere in the 00s) and then there was the Apple scandal with SOI. So we have a lot of people that are loudly complainers of U2 and Bono in a sea of people that don't care for them (so their imparciality is influenced by other people's vocal opinion).

Most people react with "ew" to U2.

Forgot to thank you for answering my question.

Offline podiumboy

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2017, 05:53:08 PM »
If Taylor Swift had released "Best Thing", it'd be a #1 hit!

If U2 had released "Shake it off", it would've tanked!!

56 year old rock stars simply DO NOT have hits on the Pop charts.  Part of why U2 did so well in the early 00's is because there was a nostalgia movement in general.  Aerosmith had "Jared", Bon Jovi had "it's my life", Metallica had "I disappear", Sting had "desert rose", etc. It was just a thing that was happening at the time, and nobody talks about it. U2 simply will not have any more charting hits in their career.  Thats okay.  Their album will still probably go to #1, and they will continue to sell out arenas and stadiums for as long as they wish to. 

Offline wlomaco

• Stateless
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2017, 07:21:54 AM »
The Sirius XM Spectrum station has Best Thing at #1 this morning, for whatever those charts are worth.

Offline u2dc

• Babyface
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2017, 09:22:01 AM »
I think the best thing has a chance to chart in the U.S hot 100. It is #5 on the hot rock songs chart and number 41 on the digital song sales chart. The top 4 songs on the rock chart are in the hot 100, and certainly being practically in the top 40 for digital sales should mean its somewhere near charting in the hot 100.

Offline SUMNER78

• Stateless
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2017, 11:07:57 AM »
I haven't even heard this song on BBC radio 1 especially Annie Mac show, they play all the new stuff coming out, they did not even mention U2 has a new song or played which I thought was shocking. BBC always plays stuff from U2

Offline sulphur76

• Refugee
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2017, 11:24:00 AM »
I do find it funny that a week ago many people who loved the song raved it was going to be a hit. Now that it doesn't look that way ,  it's all "no one listens to the radio anymore," "streaming charts are where it's at."

Yeesh.

Funny, but I've been on this forum a lot the past couple of weeks and I don't recall many people raving that the song was going to be a hit. I only recall quite a few people saying they like the song and think it's good.

Just a few from the original thread; I didn't go through all 40+ pages. I'm not naming users as I'm not trying to troll people. My comment is just an observation of the inability to admit when the band has made a misstep.

"However better than Blackout and best chance of chart success in years."

"I love the bridge. I think it's a nice departure from what they have put out as the first single on the last few albums. And by looking at the negative reviews on here, I'd say it will probably be a hit too."

"it's got legs folks... it's a good one... and **** has provided a very helpful analysis to counter those who see this as a simple pop song, musically speaking"

"Best Thing is gonna be huge I think."

"I have a serious ear worm from this song and it just keeps departing in my head. I feel it's going to be a hit."

Congrats, you found some examples of people predicting a hit. (Though one of your examples, the one starting "it's got legs," doesn't really do that.) I went back and browsed the original thread (though not all 40 pages) wondering if maybe I misremembered the tenor of the conversation but from what I saw, no. Some people were saying they liked the song, and on repeated listens found it more complex than they originally thought. There were also plenty saying they hated the song and expected better from U2.

Perhaps the instances in which people predicted a hit just stood out to you more than they did to me.

I never said the majority of people loved the song, I'm not disputing the tenor of the conversation.

I said "many people who loved the song raved it was going to be a hit." And the examples I provided were not from the entire thread. For that matter, they were taken from only one thread, not the multitude of threads about Best Thing. I'm not playing a game of "gotcha." I made an observation that some people, not all, have trouble accepting that this band is not going to have a hit song again, at least one of any lasting success.

Offline Jswallow

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2017, 12:04:26 PM »
I haven't even heard this song on BBC radio 1 especially Annie Mac show, they play all the new stuff coming out, they did not even mention U2 has a new song or played which I thought was shocking. BBC always plays stuff from U2
It's getting played on Radio 2

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Offline SUMNER78

• Stateless
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2017, 12:59:39 PM »
It's getting played on Radio 2

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Oh Thanks Nice to know

Offline Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2017, 01:16:27 PM »
I do find it funny that a week ago many people who loved the song raved it was going to be a hit. Now that it doesn't look that way ,  it's all "no one listens to the radio anymore," "streaming charts are where it's at."

Yeesh.

Funny, but I've been on this forum a lot the past couple of weeks and I don't recall many people raving that the song was going to be a hit. I only recall quite a few people saying they like the song and think it's good.

Just a few from the original thread; I didn't go through all 40+ pages. I'm not naming users as I'm not trying to troll people. My comment is just an observation of the inability to admit when the band has made a misstep.

"However better than Blackout and best chance of chart success in years."

"I love the bridge. I think it's a nice departure from what they have put out as the first single on the last few albums. And by looking at the negative reviews on here, I'd say it will probably be a hit too."

"it's got legs folks... it's a good one... and **** has provided a very helpful analysis to counter those who see this as a simple pop song, musically speaking"

"Best Thing is gonna be huge I think."

"I have a serious ear worm from this song and it just keeps departing in my head. I feel it's going to be a hit."

Congrats, you found some examples of people predicting a hit. (Though one of your examples, the one starting "it's got legs," doesn't really do that.) I went back and browsed the original thread (though not all 40 pages) wondering if maybe I misremembered the tenor of the conversation but from what I saw, no. Some people were saying they liked the song, and on repeated listens found it more complex than they originally thought. There were also plenty saying they hated the song and expected better from U2.

Perhaps the instances in which people predicted a hit just stood out to you more than they did to me.

I never said the majority of people loved the song, I'm not disputing the tenor of the conversation.

I said "many people who loved the song raved it was going to be a hit." And the examples I provided were not from the entire thread. For that matter, they were taken from only one thread, not the multitude of threads about Best Thing. I'm not playing a game of "gotcha." I made an observation that some people, not all, have trouble accepting that this band is not going to have a hit song again, at least one of any lasting success.

We seem to be talking past one another a bit. I didn't mean to imply that you implied (jeez) that the majority of people loved the song; that wasn't my point at all. I did feel, however, that saying "*many* people who loved the song raved it was going to be a hit" was an overstatement. It implied the conversation was primarily about whether the song would be a hit as opposed to being primarily about whether people liked or disliked the song.

As I said before, perhaps the instances in which people predicted a hit just stood out to you more than they did to me. I do get your point that some people may have trouble accepting that the song may not become a big hit.

Offline Neil Young, man!

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2017, 10:24:10 AM »
I secretly hope U2 loses enough popularity with casual fans so that they start playing smaller arenas that don't sell out. Assuming they would still continue as a band, they could then focus on the die hard fans instead of trying to be relevant to the modern music scene. That does not mean they have to sound like dinosaurs from another time, they can still push the envelope on new sounds etc, just not chase hits on the radio which apart from being next to impossible for a band of their age, is very unattractive.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 02:16:53 PM by Neil Young, man! »

Offline MattD

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2017, 02:24:16 PM »
So Edge, what's the point in 'following the culture' - i.e. mindlessly following the crowd, when the crowd won't listen?

Just make great music and stop trying to pander to the widest audience for f*** sake. It's not working so give it up and get back to your more ambitious and mystical roots please before we all bore to death from bland Ryan Tedder bile like You're The Best Thing.

Offline Scarlet2016

• Wanderer
« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2017, 02:40:51 PM »
The band are doing what they want to do, who can argue with that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2017, 03:05:21 PM »
All I know is that I saw this song LIVE last night, and it was great...much better than I expected.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2017, 06:12:30 PM »
Edge lives way too much in his head.  I don't know, his words always sound way too measured, considered, reconsidered for effect.  I'd rather listen to Bono rave on.

Offline wlomaco

• Stateless
« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2017, 06:48:22 PM »
Edge lives way too much in his head.  I don't know, his words always sound way too measured, considered, reconsidered for effect.  I'd rather listen to Bono rave on.

Ha, ha, at least you always know exactly what he thinks.