Author Topic: The Best Thing...enters UK charts at 92 (yes 92!)  (Read 4134 times)

Offline lucas.homem

• Numb
Re: The Best Thing...enters UK charts at 92 (yes 92!)
« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2017, 07:33:32 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
So Edge, what's the point in 'following the culture' - i.e. mindlessly following the crowd, when the crowd won't listen?

Just make great music and stop trying to pander to the widest audience for f*** sake. It's not working so give it up and get back to your more ambitious and mystical roots please before we all bore to death from bland Ryan Tedder bile like You're The Best Thing.

Following the culture is very important for any serious artist. This is not a bad thing.

Offline TheFlyMacphisto

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2017, 10:59:57 PM »
Man, I hate to sound like the cynical one, but could the fact that the song is pretty average have anything to do with this? ;)

Offline eviltimeban

• Wanderer
  • Pop is the best U2 album
« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2017, 06:37:41 AM »
Personally I didn't buy it primarily because I didn't think it was that good, but mostly because I'm going to be getting the album. I hope to get the vinyl, if the album sounds worthy, and hopefully that'll come with a download code so I can add it to my iTunes. Presto, saved myself 1.29, and having to look at artwork for just one song in My Music.

I suspect most fans will be doing the same thing. And I can listen to it any time I want on Spotify anyway.

But the album will be a definite purchase, one way or the other. If it sounds average I'll just download it and save my vinyl money for something else.

Offline aviastar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
« Reply #63 on: September 21, 2017, 07:12:11 AM »
Man, I hate to sound like the cynical one, but could the fact that the song is pretty average have anything to do with this? ;)

I don't think it's a great song either...but I think it's a good song and when I look at what's currently on the Billboard Hot 100 it's as good as at least 25 of the songs on there...so I would think that it would make it on the charts at some point.  I mean, I can run through singles on the Hot 100 and I feel that it's better songcraft and writing than a lot of these tunes..
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 07:15:38 AM by aviastar »

Offline TheFlyMacphisto

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2017, 07:47:28 AM »

I agree with you there!

I don't think it's a great song either...but I think it's a good song and when I look at what's currently on the Billboard Hot 100 it's as good as at least 25 of the songs on there...so I would think that it would make it on the charts at some point.  I mean, I can run through singles on the Hot 100 and I feel that it's better songcraft and writing than a lot of these tunes..

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2017, 08:29:40 AM »

I agree with you there!

It was really, really good at the show Tuesday...

Offline Luzita

• Stateless
« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2017, 09:08:59 AM »
Edge lives way too much in his head.  I don't know, his words always sound way too measured, considered, reconsidered for effect.  I'd rather listen to Bono rave on.

Ha, ha, at least you always know exactly what he thinks.

Edge is so calm and cerebral, Bono so passionate and intuitive. It's almost preposterous how perfectly yin and yang they are. I think that's one of the reasons the band is so great; they really complement each other.

As for always knowing exactly what Bono thinks -- he's a funny one. He seems to always totally spill his guts but I think, at the same time, he manages to hide a lot.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #67 on: September 21, 2017, 11:06:52 AM »

You clearly don't know how this all works. What you need to do is listen to the song hundreds of times and then convince yourself it's good.  ;)

Offline julez728

• Wanderer
« Reply #68 on: September 21, 2017, 12:09:20 PM »

You clearly don't know how this all works. What you need to do is listen to the song hundreds of times and then convince yourself it's good.  ;)

Actually, after listening to it hundreds of times you just give up & say it's good just so you can stop listening to it.  ;) :P

Offline Rasmus

• Stateless
« Reply #69 on: September 21, 2017, 12:24:30 PM »
The song is bad... at this point it just gets more annoying when I listen to it especially the chorus. Just so repetitive and lame lyrics. Only Adam shines on it and the bridge with Edge is great.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2017, 03:21:56 PM »
Edge lives way too much in his head.  I don't know, his words always sound way too measured, considered, reconsidered for effect.  I'd rather listen to Bono rave on.

Ha, ha, at least you always know exactly what he thinks.

Edge is so calm and cerebral, Bono so passionate and intuitive. It's almost preposterous how perfectly yin and yang they are. I think that's one of the reasons the band is so great; they really complement each other.
Very insightful, Luzita.  I think you're right about the yin and yang part.  Also, for as much as he talks on and on, I do agree that Bono hides lots of things.  He does have this tendency to communicate in soundbites.  I'm sure it's a protective device from having been burned once or twice.  When he speaks from the heart, Bono is unmatched.

As for always knowing exactly what Bono thinks -- he's a funny one. He seems to always totally spill his guts but I think, at the same time, he manages to hide a lot.

Offline Smee

• Numb
  • Im Eddie and im a Monkey
« Reply #71 on: September 22, 2017, 11:01:40 AM »
Ive had a strange relationship with this song. On first hearing, i was very underwhelmed. Then, mostly the guitar part, became a bit of an earworm for me, for about a week. But, the song now seems nothing more than a distant memory. Its not very memorable

Offline 73October

• Numb
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #72 on: September 22, 2017, 04:18:54 PM »
And now it's left the charts.

Not sure if this 'punk Supremes' thing has gone down well at all.  I just looked at a load of Supremes videos.  Yes it's there a little.
Personally I think U2 are punk rock - they are so anti-fashion and yet gloriously defiant. 

Offline MattD

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #73 on: September 22, 2017, 04:27:49 PM »
It's just a dreadfully dreadfully dull song.

Ryan Tedder induced sleepiness - I'm really not sure how stupid the band have to not realise he is an exceptionally boring musician who fronts one of the most blandest pop outfits in living memory.

Hope this shoddy shameful collaboration comes to its rightful end once this album is over. He's just awful.

Offline padrepio

• Wanderer
« Reply #74 on: September 22, 2017, 04:43:07 PM »
This should be a surprise to no one. U2 has two things going against them at this point: 1) what's currently popular (a lot of electronic, auto tuned trash) and 2) their age. When's the last time a band with members in their upper 50s charted high? It doesn't happen. U2 could release the catchiest pop song and it would not chart because of their age.

Sadly, U2 seems unwilling to accept this. So they keep releasing pop rock after pop rock "hit" single. First "Get On Your Boots", then "The Miracle", and now "You're The Best Thing About Me". None did that well on the charts. They want another "Beautiful Day", they want another "Vertigo" and it's just not happening.

I don't know why they can't just accept this and be happy about the fact that they're still selling out stadiums (very few bands can do that on their own) and that they still have millions of fans. These are guys who still have it musically, who put together can make great music, but instead are cheapening themselves for the next hit. They could make a few more great albums if they just got back to writing the music they're capable, instead of what they think might "chart".
great post