Author Topic: Joshua Tree DVD  (Read 1784 times)

Offline habib2343

• Wanderer
Joshua Tree DVD
« on: September 16, 2017, 03:17:55 PM »
Ok, so this has probably been covered in a thread elsewhere but does anyone have any inside infor on a jt 2017 dvd ? Rumours have it they will be filming in Sao Paulo at the end of the tour-4 shows give them plenty of opportunity to film...

with this being a retrospective tour, is there a chance there will not be one ? Plus have dates for next year been confirmed ?

I don't believe u2 have been as productive in the last 3 years than they have since the 80's....the 90's were pretty bare ...3 albums and 2 tours...the 00's saw 3 albums and 3 tours,,,since 2014, we've had SOI, I&E, JT 2017, SOE & E&I....a very indian summer period of productivity...

Offline jenniferh aka jen

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
Re: Joshua Tree DVD
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 03:38:44 PM »
These are all speculative rumors about the video and nothing from U2 has ever been said to substantiate these rumors.

No tour dates have been announced either. Any official announcements will always be on u2's website.

Offline MadRob360

• Refugee
  • Jealousy Is A Disease
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 09:32:12 AM »
I'd say the sao paulo dates are a sure thing because it's a 4 night run, Hamish hamilton has been spoted at several JT2017 shows therefore you'd think he'll be scoping out camera positions and lighting etc. There will be a dvd.

Offline fresno dave

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • "You wanted violins.." about.me/davewainscott
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 09:07:34 PM »
Link:
Anton Corbijn is rumoured to be working on the tour film for The Joshua Tree 2017. Corbijn’s visuals are firmly connected with the original album, and his visuals form the basis for much of the current tour, especially the 11 songs from the original album. Corbijn is no stranger to working on tour films, as he’s directed Depeche Mode’s Devotional film in 1993, and their Live in Berlin film in 2014. Corbijn has been at the last few tour stops and has been filming some footage. The rumour shared with us is that the two shows in Buenos Aires are the two that are being filmed this tour. That gives the band and Corbijn two shows to get the shots that they require for the tour documentary. But it appears some pre-production work is being done already at various shows in the USA.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Billy Rhythm

• Babyface
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 09:58:58 AM »
If it's gonna be a DVD of a single show then it should be from one earlier on (Opening Night Vancouver gets my vote) for the performances are much better, in my opinion...  I've listened to/watched most of the concerts that were recorded/filmed from the tour and, it's pretty clear that the band was losing a little bit of enthusiasm playing these songs as the tour progressed...  There's a rawness to the Vancouver show that had dissipated somewhat afterwards, as well as some other key differences...

First off...  The iconic moment where the band stands in silhouette under the tree to the haunting cathedral opening to the album was soon altered dramatically by Bono as he chose to recite Martin Luther King's speech overtop of the intro as they stood there, instead of before the tree lights up at the end of 'Pride (In The Name Of Love)' like he did in Vancouver...  "The Moment" was far more effective with them just standing there without Bono's added chatter...  It's not the first time that he's spoiled the elegant intro to 'Where The Streets Have No Name' by yapping either...  the performance at Chicago in 2005 comes to mind...

A lot of people, including the band itself, felt that the encore needed tweaking after opening night but I disagree...  Choosing 'Beautiful Day' to begin the finale after the emotional performance of 'Mothers of The Disappeared' was absolutely the right call, especially with the rays of light protruding from behind the tree mimicking a sunrise for added effect...  Closing the proceedings by playing the last two songs on the B-Stage seemed an appropriate finish to mirror the start of the show as well...

The song selection in Vancouver was also spot on, in my opinion...  It was the only time on the tour that they played 'MLK' and it made 'Pride's punch in afterward much more effective...  'A Sort Of Homecoming' sounded better on this tour than 'Bad' did to me and, 'The Little Things That Give You Away' was a great way to end a great show...  I also prefer the sound of Larry walking out to the tune of 'A Rainy Night in SOHO', which was soon replaced by 'Whole of The Moon' for subsequent shows...

The "rough spots", which are to be expected on Opening Night, are minimal and some would even make the highlight reel...  such as The Edge appearing to unplug his guitar setup while getting animated during 'Where The Streets Have No Name' before a roadie hands him a replacement...  All in all, I think that the Vancouver show would make the better DVD...  I'd also give the Amsterdam performance consideration too, or perhaps a "hybrid" collection stemming from different shows...  I'd also like for them to revisit the 'Rattle & Hum' formula of having it shown in black & white before the intro to 'Where The Streets Have No Name', and again for the last two songs on the B-Stage...  Wouldn't be surprised to see the DVD surface just before the new tour starts to arouse more interest...  We'll see...:-)     

Offline BlueSquirrel

• Wanderer
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 10:07:26 PM »
I hope there will be an official DVD as well.

Offline welshguy77

• Babyface
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2018, 07:09:35 AM »
Hope this happens to, and would love it to be Sao Paulo.