Author Topic: Edge interview with Rolling Stone  (Read 4933 times)

Offline ultravioletlight

• Numb
  • Chicago, IL
Edge interview with Rolling Stone
« on: September 18, 2017, 01:03:10 PM »
Great interview.  One question- Is this "brush with mortality" a reference to the attack in Nice that Bono was near or something else?

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

monopoly

Re: Edge interview with Rolling Stone
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 01:08:37 PM »
Nice interview. I don't get what he means by "best thing" live sounding different from the single mix. Sounds the same to me.

He said they're firm on playing NA and EU...
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 01:10:31 PM by monopoly »

Offline Jswallow

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 01:13:40 PM »
Europe again next year... time to start saving 

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Offline FaltuMiah

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 01:19:48 PM »
Funny how he seems to think 'Streets' was left off the set list on one of their tours.
Nice that he's showing some love for 'Pop'

Offline opening night

• Wanderer
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 01:31:11 PM »
Great interview.  One question- Is this "brush with mortality" a reference to the attack in Nice that Bono was near or something else?

I think he refers to Bono's bike accident.

Offline mattryan94

• Babyface
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 01:31:26 PM »
Glad to hear they'll be resting at least some JT songs next go around. I agree with Edge that there's still a lot to explored with SOI. Raised by Wolves was my favorite song on that tour. Would have loved to hear California, Sleep Like a Baby, TIWYCRMN, and The Troubles. I think for the tour, they should do a healthy mix of SOI and SOE, with some more "experience" songs interwoven. Achtung, Zooropa, Pop (Gone especially), No Line come to mind.

Offline Peter Parker

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 01:32:21 PM »
Europe again next year... time to start saving 

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Scandinavia maybe?

Offline 73October

• Numb
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 01:32:31 PM »
Bono's brush with mortality may help explain why when sung live the line "that any song would re-appear" on Little Things had been changed to "any sun would re-appear".  And also may help to explain "The end is not coming, it's not coming. The end is here. Sometimes'. 
I thought it was about writers block (which it is in part) but other people at the time (May/June/July) thought it was about depression or suicide.  I'm not in any way suggesting that's the reason for Bono's brush with mortality (it may well be something completely different) - but the lyrics make more sense now.  Bono mentioned this incident (in a very similar way to how Edge has in RS) in his interview with the Dutch radio station. 

I'm just glad Bono is still here - the world would be a darker place without him.

Offline ultravioletlight

• Numb
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 01:33:09 PM »

I think he refers to Bono's bike accident.
I thought that too, but that was three years ago... So?

Offline jjcruiser

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2017, 01:41:55 PM »
I think the mortality reference suggests it was last year, probably unreported, and it's doubtful Bono will be able to restrain himself from mentioning it much longer in interviews.  Maybe he had a little heart attack or stroke?  I don't know.  Just agree it's a better world with him in it.

Rest of the interview is great.  Loved hearing the discussion of the production of the album and I'm very gratified that someone with access to Edge to interview him brings up stuff like Please, Gone, and Drowning Man, which imo are all top ten all time songs but a little short changed by the band live, recently (or always).

December 1 can't come fast enough!

Offline morph

• Refugee
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2017, 01:48:38 PM »
"You probably noticed that the version of "You're the Best Thing About Me" that we released is quite different than the one we are playing live, and the final mix is like six weeks away."

So neither the single mix OR the sci-fi mix are on the album?!

#Confused-but-also-encouraged-as-its-a-good-song

Offline MPare1966

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Trying to throw my arms around the world.
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2017, 01:49:02 PM »
This made my day:

We had taken a stab at "Drowning Man" [for the 360 Tour ]. I think it's about finding the right setting for some songs. Although we got close to doing it live, it was something that just didn't fit the moment and the production. I think we will definitely get to that that song live one day, but I think it maybe will have to be in a more intimate setting, maybe with additional instruments. But I'd love to do that. It's one of my favorites. I remember even thinking at the time, "Oh, maybe that's a single." I just love it and have a real soft spot for that kind of thing.

Offline mdewater

• Stateless
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2017, 01:57:47 PM »
Love seeing Pop discussed a bit. Still waiting for the deluxe remasters to be kickstarted again and holding out hope for Pop but assume it will probably be skipped.

Offline ashaiw

• Babyface
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2017, 02:08:52 PM »
The most enjoyable interview from any member of U2 for months/years for my parts. Edge gets straight to every point without all those Bono phrases. I'm now much more excited for the new record than I was before and those Pop mentions were brilliant. Great questions from the reporter. Sure hope they will still include some songs from Innocence on the next tour.

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2017, 02:16:03 PM »
"You probably noticed that the version of "You're the Best Thing About Me" that we released is quite different than the one we are playing live, and the final mix is like six weeks away."

So neither the single mix OR the sci-fi mix are on the album?!

#Confused-but-also-encouraged-as-its-a-good-song

Why would the sci-fi mix be on the album ? Also, curious to have a different version of TBT on the album...on a different note, good to hear SOI might get airplay on next arena tour.