Poll

How would you feel if U2 played No JT songs on the SOE tour & other rarities instead?

Hallelujah! It's about damn time!  Hooray!
Ok, but I don't want to hear some songs like The Playboy Mansion
Ok, but every U2 show has to have Streets (and maybe a few other JT songs)
No!!! Most of the audience will want the hits and will barely tolerate new SOE songs. Forget about the rarities.
No. I want different rare songs played and/or they shouldn't ignore The Joshua Tree.

Author Topic: SOE tour with Pop album songs, Drowning Man, Lady w/Spinning Head & no JT songs?  (Read 5394 times)

Offline welshguy77

• Babyface
Hope they play as many of the new songs as possible, but they will need to play Streets and WOWY.  I would not be too bothered though if they did not play Pride.

Offline jono2u

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • "i was born to sing for you"
Streets from JT would be enough given they have just played the album all last year. The sooner Please gets back in the set the happier i think we all will be. Could see Discotheque working well on the small stage on this tour.

Offline Billy Rhythm

• Babyface
I think that it's time to abandon the staples that the band "has to" play...  'Sunday Bloody Sunday' has been reworked so many times, signalling the band's boredom of playing it for so many years...  The version that they played on the 'I + E Tour' was pretty sad, in my opinion...  They even got The Edge to sing it during 'PopMart' and Larry played the signature drum beat during 'Please' on that tour...  Songs like 'Bad' just don't sound as good live as they used to...  Drop all of the 'Joshua Tree' songs I say...  The fabulous live rendition of the entire album from last year can't be topped...  it'll pale in comparison should they start dicing it all up again...

Sticking with the newer material is likely what the band wants to do instead and nobody wants them to be simply going through the motions...  I'd even say avoid the 'Achtung Baby' album as well, let it simmer on the back burner then do a 30th Anniversary Tour where they play the whole thing...  I can see them getting excited about that while resurrecting the 'Zoo TV' spectacle in the process...  'Mysterious Ways', once one of their highlight live performances, didn't sound as good when they played it on last year's tour and should be shelved for now, in my opinion...

If they're going to play anything pre-'Zooropa', do something that people won't expect...  Slot in something like 'Hawkmoon 269' (don't know whether Bono could still pull that one off with his aging voice) on some nights, or 'An Cat Dubh' and perhaps a cover version or two of something like they used to on other nights...  Throw in the odd B-Side maybe, as they did last year on a couple of occasions...

'Zooropa's ethereal intro would effectively replace 'Where The Streets Have No Name's and get the same effect...  'With or Without You' is a tough one to substitute something else in for ('Every Breaking Wave' would be my choice and do it like the album version), but a sizeable chunk of the audience has likely seen the band perform before which means they've all ready experienced it live...  Yes, some of the people may only associate 'With or Without You' with U2, but if that's the case then you want to give them a little more of what you got...  From 'Zooropa' through 'Experience' you can effectively cover the gamut of what the band is all about without digging up older relics that just don't shine like they used to... 

If you're gonna throw in one "standard" then it ought to be '40' for the closing of the show...  They didn't play it on the last tour at all (which may even be a first) and it would sound much fresher than, say 'Pride (In The Name of Love)'...  'Zooropa' followed by 'Numb' would be my choices for opening the concert...  I'd like to see them sort of use the same format from 'The Joshua Tree' 2017 tour where they build up to the album...  Of course, they're not going to play the full 'Experience' album but it should be the "centrepiece" of the show, bookended by songs from the past...  Here's my setlist:

Zooropa
Numb
Discotheque
Please
The Miracle (of Joey Ramone)
Volcano/American Soul
Love Is All We Have Left
Lights of Home
The Little Things That Give You Away
The Best Thing About Me
Get Out Of Your Own Way
Ordinary Love
Summer of Love
Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way
The Blackout/City of Blinding Lights
Every Breaking Wave
Stuck In A Moment
Walk On
Magnificent
Moment of Surrender
Dancing Barefoot
'40'

Probably not gonna shake down this way, but that'd be what this U2 fan would like to see...  Kinda moot for they're not scheduled to play anywhere near me this time around anyway...:-)

Offline cocamojoe

• Intellectual Tortoise
Here’s a playlist that I have on my phone:

1. The Blackout
2. Desire
3. Get Out Of Your Own Way/American Soul
4. Vertigo
5. Red Flag Day
6. Drowning Man
7. Summer Of Love
8. One
9. Sunday Bloody Sunday
10. I Will Follow
11. Numb
12. The Fly
13. Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
14. The Showman
15. You’re The Best Thing About Me
16. Mysterious Ways
17. Gloria
18. The Little Things That Give You Away
19. Love Is All We Have Left
20. Where The Streets Have No Name
21. Beautiful Day

22. Discotheque
23. Lights Of Home
24. Mofo
25. City Of Blinding Lights
26. Pride
27. 13
28. With Or Without You
29. 40

Offline andrewau2

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Smack in the centre of contradiction = place to be
We are the fanatical fans - that's why we're on this site.

U2 believes that most of their audience members on the tour want to hear the greatest hits so that is what they'll give them.  The 'typical' audience member is not visiting fan site forums to post their set list wishes.

If U2 thought that most audience goers wanted to hear songs from Pop or Drowning Man or Lady with the Spinning Head, U2 would play those songs.

If U2 thought audience goers were sick of hearing The Joshua Tree songs and would prefer rare songs instead, they would stop playing the Joshua Tree and would play the rare songs.

Offline dougie

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • A Bozo on the bus going nowhere!
It's a long time before the tour. Before SOI tour, each of the two shows in each city were said to be different. Well, things changed after they started rehearsing. I would love to hear several songs off POP. Until that happens, I will not get my hopes high.

Heck, if they decided to  play more of SOE instead of rarities, that's fine by me too. I would love to see a show without JT tunes due to playing it totally on the last tour. And, they seem to fall back on greatest hits on most tours as they roll on- that is my concern.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 08:44:58 PM by dougie »

Offline World71R

• Refugee
  • It's no secret ambition bites the nails of success
Even if they do want to go towards playing more rarities and "newer" or 90s stuff, they still need to have Streets in there. That is the ultimate part of the U2 concert experience and it would not be a U2 concert without it. I'd love it if they could do both Streets and Zooropa in there, or hell even put the two of them next to each other to start the concert. Wouldn't that be cool to see them start with Zooropa, then Love is All We Have Left, and then Streets followed by something like Lady With the Spinning Head? It's a dream at this point but it would be quite a treat.