Author Topic: What was Bono's "mortality crisis"?  (Read 1667 times)

Offline WhenIsSOE

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • aka The Ultra Beasts (Welcome back!)
What was Bono's "mortality crisis"?
« on: September 19, 2017, 12:17:53 PM »
The Edge's recent Rolling Stone interview mentioned a mortality crisis, what would that be? I think it might be the biking thing, but I'm not really sure.

Offline missey

• Child of Grace
Re: What was Bono's "mortality crisis"?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 03:00:27 PM »
My guess was the Nice bombing.  He was in a restaurant nearby when it happened.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 02:05:02 PM by missey »

Offline Rasmus

• Stateless
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 03:06:16 PM »
It's not the biking thing. The article specifically mention that it was worse than that - quote: "those setbacks didn't compare to another crisis Bono faced last year"

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 04:02:23 PM »
Sounds like its something that the general public isn't aware of, but if Edge is discussing it, sure it will come to light eventually.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 05:44:09 PM »
I agree that I don't think it's come to light yet.  Bono will probably bring it up soon.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • Nashville, Montreal 1 & 2
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 06:18:29 PM »
It's a vague trick to stimulate our imaginations. I bet you its Nice.

Offline JTNash

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 06:57:08 PM »
It was the terror attacked in Nice France

Offline Catlithco

• Stateless
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 12:01:39 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It was the terror attacked in Nice France

I hope that its the Nice attack, because it means that it's not a health issue. But I doubt it a bit. Why would the others say that they don't go into detail and won't talk about it when Bono already talked about it last year? So it's nothing that isn't know yet.

And would it really cause such a feeling of a "brush with mortality" when you're caught in a restaurant nearby? Is this worse than the bike accident where he almost killed himself? ("those setbacks didn't compare to another crisis Bono faced last year")

We had a guy here in Munich in July 2016 who run amok at a shopping mall. He shot several people in the shopping mall and then outside the shopping mall in front of a McDonalds. Everyone thought its a terroristic attack first. I remember that the hubby of a friend was in the shopping mall at that time, and all the people in the shopping mall were caught in the shopping mall for security reasons until late in the evening. The people couldn't leave before the police found out that it's not a terroristic attack but an amok run by a single young guy, and after the police found the guy dead, as he shot himself.
So the situation is quite similar. I can't remember that my friends' husband told something that he felt agony.

Hmm maybe Bono will talk about it once.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 07:27:46 AM by Catlithco »

Offline 73October

• Numb
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 11:08:28 AM »
Not sure if Bono has talked about the Nice attack.  Lots of accounts that he was just along the road in the lockdown zone were from other people who were there.  All the online reports from newspaper websites say along the lines of 'Bono was not available for comment'  He's not said anything.
On a personal level - probably the incident that comes to mind when I think of a 'brush with mortality' is 29 years ago when I could have quite easily fallen down Mt Snowdon on the decent. The path was rocky and quite undefined.  At one point, I found myself looking down at a scree slope and a few hundred foot drop.  Fortunately someone was with me and shouted an alternative footing across to me and I was safe.  It lasted just a few moments and is not something I talk about much really.
"Tell us about a difficult moment"
"Well I nearly fell off Snowdon but a friend helped me out and now I'm fine"
"When did that happen?"
"Oh about 30 years ago"

Offline Luzita

• Wanderer
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2017, 06:33:29 AM »
Bono talked about the Nice attack in some detail on Charlie Rose. And from what I've read about the airplane door incident they heard a thud but didn't know how serious it was until after they landed. So I don't think it's that either. But I don't think Bono has spoken about the airplane incident himself so maybe there's more to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 73October

• Numb
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2017, 10:43:01 AM »
He specifically mentioned The Blackout in the email interview with RS.  Now wondering if someone has really tried to take a pop at him - there are so many haters out there  :(

Offline mariamontreal

• Running to Stand Still
  • She moves in mysterious ways
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2017, 12:33:16 PM »
I  think its a combination of everything he has dealt with and overcome. Accidents, health issues, dangerous situations.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2017, 03:17:57 PM »
Let's continue to "lift him up" always!

Offline Clarky

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2017, 07:23:52 PM »
It was the Beautiful Day video shoot where the plane nearly took out him and the band on the runway. He's been having flashbacks about how dangerous that was.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • Nashville, Montreal 1 & 2
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2017, 08:06:38 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It was the Beautiful Day video shoot where the plane nearly took out him and the band on the runway. He's been having flashbacks about how dangerous that was.

Your such a fool. Didn't you see when he fell out of the car in the SIAM video. It has to be real it's on YouTube. Sheesh.