Author Topic: What was Bono's "mortality crisis"?  (Read 1647 times)

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • Nashville, Montreal 1 & 2
Re: What was Bono's "mortality crisis"?
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2017, 08:08:45 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It was the Beautiful Day video shoot where the plane nearly took out him and the band on the runway. He's been having flashbacks about how dangerous that was.

Bono tried to stop the plane with his music.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2017, 10:36:18 PM »
It was the Beautiful Day video shoot where the plane nearly took out him and the band on the runway. He's been having flashbacks about how dangerous that was.

Your such a fool. Didn't you see when he fell out of the car in the SIAM video. It has to be real it's on YouTube. Sheesh.

....and then gets repeatedly hit.

Or that time he got hit by the van driven by his bandmates on Fallon.

It's gotta be one of those for sure.

Offline 73October

• Numb
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2017, 02:00:34 PM »
Ah! None of us know what the situation(s) are/were.  And unfortunately Edge has inadvertently started a load of speculation.

I just wanted to share something:
The really strange thing about all this for me is that there's this guy I know (this is a real story & not fake for sympathy) who is a well-known (and well-loved) businessman and philanthropist (and from the general area where I live).  In fact, although I've never met Bono but from what I've heard, I reckon this guy I know is probably quite like Bono in general (factor in a shared strong Christian faith too).  My businessman friend is one of these guys everyone wants to talk to at an event, and he knows how to work a room (just like Bono).
He's only a couple of years younger than the band.
Anyway, I'd not seen or heard from him for a while and I assumed he'd taken an extended holiday (age must be catching up) but was slightly alarmed nonetheless.  I just found out this weekend that he has had a pretty major health scare and is at home recovering from surgery.  I know what condition was that he had and respect that he doesn't want things to be made openly public (I heard word of mouth) maybe because he is well-known and loved by many, even in further places.  Fortunately medics dealt with the condition early and he'll make an excellent recovery.  But I guess he will need to look at work priorities and other things soon.

It could be that Bono had a health scare and it was dealt with quickly and successfully, or it could be an incident that he was close to and chooses not to discuss for security reasons.  Whatever the reason, I am thankful that Bono is well.  And also my friend, who I know would leave a hole in many people's lives - even if he is by no means the most well known businessman in the 21st Century.

Maybe we will find out what it was with Bono, or maybe we'll not really know for many years to come.

Offline Catlithco

• Stateless
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2017, 02:14:39 PM »
Whatever happend to Bono that caused him such a "serious moment", just accept when they say "the band won't go into detail on the matter". I'm sure they have reason to react like this.

Offline WhenIsSOE

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • aka The Ultra Beasts (Welcome back!)
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2017, 05:25:56 PM »

Bono tried to stop the plane with his music.
Preferably Elevation.  ;D

Offline WhenIsSOE

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • aka The Ultra Beasts (Welcome back!)
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2017, 05:26:53 PM »
Whatever happend to Bono that caused him such a "serious moment", just accept when they say "the band won't go into detail on the matter". I'm sure they have reason to react like this.
Well why would they even mention it and then say "but we won't talk about that"?!?

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2017, 06:27:42 PM »
I wish they wouldn't have brought it up.  Now I'm worried about him :(

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • Nashville, Montreal 1 & 2
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2017, 06:51:56 PM »
At the pace that he operates at this was bound to happen.

Offline Clarky

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2017, 09:20:06 PM »
^yes, we're lucky he's still alive and doing shows as it is, let alone expecting him to not have dealt with any serious health issues after 35 years of being a rockstar frontman. It was kind of inevitable.

Offline 73October

• Numb
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2017, 01:54:08 PM »
At the pace that he operates at this was bound to happen.

Yes and the pace of his drinking (if Noel is anything to go by) could be a cause for concern?

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2017, 02:58:19 PM »
Bono definitely looks every bit his age.  I am coming at this from a place of concern and am not adding fuel to rumors.  I just hope he's okay.

Offline Catlithco

• Stateless
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2017, 03:19:32 AM »
He looks good, he was on tour, and he will be going again next year, so he really seems to be fine.

Offline tj1968

• Party Girl/Boy
  • We wait all day for night to come...
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2017, 04:26:43 AM »
This has now been highlighted in the sleeve notes to Songs of Experience. Bono mentions an arresting experience, facing a wall with his hands over his head. Is he being literal or metaphorical?

Offline Silver Lining

• Refugee
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2017, 06:07:24 AM »
I'm pretty sure metaphorical.

If he had literally been arrested, I'm sure the media would have had a field day!

The way he writes about it does make it seem to me like a medical issue of some kind, presumably one that could have been serious if not spotted and treated early. But I'm pretty sure that the guys all receive the best health care and screening money can buy, and the fact he was back on tour etc pretty quickly points to it being successfully dealt with.

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I Am Here
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2017, 08:03:51 AM »
I am guessing he had a health scare of some sort eg mild heart attack, needed a stent put in, low grade tumour type issue. Seems more directly personal than Nice and something more recent than the bike accident. Expect it will come out in due course, probably in the lead up to the tour or whilst on tour.