Author Topic: TJT 2017 then and now review  (Read 362 times)

monopoly

TJT 2017 then and now review
« on: September 23, 2017, 10:26:00 AM »
I had the Privelige of not only attending rose bowl but also the last show in America last night. Here's my review of the GA process, and the songs, and staging

First off...
I went to the rose bowl craziness where people were fainting in the 1000 people GA line. I busted my a** early in the morning to get there and wait all day for that "perfect" spot and hopefully rail then. I didn't get any rail at the rose bowl. In fact I was about 3 people away from any point at the tree stage. This was the result of waiting 16 hours or whatever time it was.
That setlist at the rosebowl was cool on the first leg. They did ASOH and were trying to find a place for Bad. Bad and I will follow closed that show I went to. It was a pretty standard u2 show.

Last night I went to San Diego. However, I didn't wait all day for the GA because I couldn't nor did I want to. I got in line an hour before the Gates opened just to be safe with CC scanning machines. So where did I end up? - well walking in an hour before got me 3 rows away from the main stage a little to the right of bono. I was and wasn't in shock because people here well telling me this and i wasn't sure how true it was. But it was. This might change the way I do GA. All those numbered people from Wednesday were only 1 person in front of me...

The show hasn't really changed other than Bad having its permenant place in the opening and Vertigo being added to the setlist. They didn't do mysterious ways which they did in Europe. Also because I was towards the front I COULD NOT SEE THE TREE STAGE. But I think I enjoyed the main stage far more. They definitely spend far less time on the tree now than back then.

The songs themselves are the same as back at the rose bowl. However I noticed the band actually using the entire stage so much more. Adam went to Edges far stage side way more often. Bono occasionally came over right in front of me maybe for 4-5 songs. And Edge did maybe 3 songs at the far right end of that stage. In fact Bono and Edge did most of One Tree Hill under the moon at the far right.

"The best thing": I was really confused when I saw Edge grab an acoustic. I thought they were going to do ordinary love. But he actually started playing the sci fi mix. The crowd was dead quiet but they clapped after... I kinda doubt it will stay acoustic. But I wouldn't mind it as a bonus track.
Vertigo was a nice addition. It has the same effect as elevation.

The negatives of the night: the people around me. Once again I have drunk idiots ruining my night. People constantly pushing, one fighting broke out to my right. Security had to jump the barriers twice to get into the GA field. I also had people leaning on my back so they could take selfies with the band in the background. One woman rested her hands on my head because she got tired of holding her phone that long. I constantly had to fight for my personal space.

Overall I liked it more this time. It's clear they have the setlist down now and there's little variation. I wasn't exhausted from lining up and was able to enjoy the show this time.

Offline cabral255

• Stateless
Re: TJT 2017 then and now review
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 10:31:58 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I had the Privelige of not only attending rose bowl but also the last show in America last night. Here's my review of the GA process, and the songs, and staging

First off...
I went to the rose bowl craziness where people were fainting in the 1000 people GA line. I busted my a** early in the morning to get there and wait all day for that "perfect" spot and hopefully rail then. I didn't get any rail at the rose bowl. In fact I was about 3 people away from any point at the tree stage. This was the result of waiting 16 hours or whatever time it was.
That setlist at the rosebowl was cool on the first leg. They did ASOH and were trying to find a place for Bad. Bad and I will follow closed that show I went to. It was a pretty standard u2 show.

Last night I went to San Diego. However, I didn't wait all day for the GA because I couldn't nor did I want to. I got in line an hour before the Gates opened just to be safe with CC scanning machines. So where did I end up? - well walking in an hour before got me 3 rows away from the main stage a little to the right of bono. I was and wasn't in shock because people here well telling me this and i wasn't sure how true it was. But it was. This might change the way I do GA. All those numbered people from Wednesday were only 1 person in front of me...

The show hasn't really changed other than Bad having its permenant place in the opening and Vertigo being added to the setlist. They didn't do mysterious ways which they did in Europe. Also because I was towards the front I COULD NOT SEE THE TREE STAGE. But I think I enjoyed the main stage far more. They definitely spend far less time on the tree now than back then.

The songs themselves are the same as back at the rose bowl. However I noticed the band actually using the entire stage so much more. Adam went to Edges far stage side way more often. Bono occasionally came over right in front of me maybe for 4-5 songs. And Edge did maybe 3 songs at the far right end of that stage. In fact Bono and Edge did most of One Tree Hill under the moon at the far right.

"The best thing": I was really confused when I saw Edge grab an acoustic. I thought they were going to do ordinary love. But he actually started playing the sci fi mix. The crowd was dead quiet but they clapped after... I kinda doubt it will stay acoustic. But I wouldn't mind it as a bonus track.
Vertigo was a nice addition. It has the same effect as elevation.

The negatives of the night: the people around me. Once again I have drunk idiots ruining my night. People constantly pushing, one fighting broke out to my right. Security had to jump the barriers twice to get into the GA field. I also had people leaning on my back so they could take selfies with the band in the background. One woman rested her hands on my head because she got tired of holding her phone that long. I constantly had to fight for my personal space.

Overall I liked it more this time. It's clear they have the setlist down now and there's little variation. I wasn't exhausted from lining up and was able to enjoy the show this time.
I went in after the gates opened in Buffalo and I was about 10 rows from the stage. I wouldn't bother with the numbered system.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

monopoly

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 10:59:49 AM »
I'm reading some other reviews and I guess there was a lot that was new to the tour last night. The singing heads during BD were new. One tree hill only had one moon at the rose bowl but this time it was three. They also put the picture of Omaima moving through the stadium on the screen as it was happening.

Offline GoldenStateGirl

• Wanderer
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 11:01:17 AM »
Wonderful review!  I was also at Rose Bowl and Qualcomm. Seats in Pasadena (we had our kid with us; he has autism, GA is not the place for him) but GA last night. My husband has a bit of claustrophobia so he had zero interest in queueing all day just to get smushed later. We walked in close to 7pm. Tree stage. Pretty close!  I was pretty stunned by the amount of misbehaving drunk people. There was also a level of aggression Id not previously experienced at a U2 show. The last time I was in GA was at Elevation (Anaheim). THAT was easily one of my favorite shows ever. Peaceful audience. Still, at SD  I stood near some nice people with the same passion for U2 that I have. That was special. I am going to miss this tour SO MUCH.   :'(

monopoly

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 03:50:01 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Wonderful review!  I was also at Rose Bowl and Qualcomm. Seats in Pasadena (we had our kid with us; he has autism, GA is not the place for him) but GA last night. My husband has a bit of claustrophobia so he had zero interest in queueing all day just to get smushed later. We walked in close to 7pm. Tree stage. Pretty close!  I was pretty stunned by the amount of misbehaving drunk people. There was also a level of aggression Id not previously experienced at a U2 show. The last time I was in GA was at Elevation (Anaheim). THAT was easily one of my favorite shows ever. Peaceful audience. Still, at SD  I stood near some nice people with the same passion for U2 that I have. That was special. I am going to miss this tour SO MUCH.   :'(

I hear ya, I walked out shocked how aggressive the SD crowd was. LA crowd is surprisingly not as crazy. Despite Qualcomm being so run down, I was amazed how intimate it was comapred to the Rose Bowl. U2 may not sound the best in a baseball stadium, but everything feels so close.

Offline miracle_al

• Babyface
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 05:13:38 PM »
Great post.  I was at both shows, too (as well as a couple of others).  We had GA's in San Diego, but the people around us were pretty mellow.  We tucked in right behind the Red Zone.  We did this in Chicago, too.  And we didn't wait in line for any of the shows.  The only downside is that we had pretty much the same viewing perspective for every show that we attended, except for Rose Bowl 1, for which we had seated tickets.  I, too, already miss the TJT 2017 Tour.  It was an absolutely gorgeous production.  I'll definitely pick up the DVD for this one when it's released.