Poll

Which album do you enjoy more?

War
The Unforgettable Fire

Author Topic: War or The Unforgettable Fire?  (Read 639 times)

Offline Clarky

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
Re: War or The Unforgettable Fire?
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2017, 07:21:17 AM »
I like the pairing of TUF, JT and R&H.... but yes I also find some sort of enjoyment in finding a kinship between TUF and NLOTH. Both very atmospheric, experimental and unconventional as a whole.

Offline Rising Sun

• Refugee
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2017, 09:40:47 AM »
Unforgettable Fire also wins in the b-side category: Three Sunrises, 60 Seconds In Kingdom Come, Bass Trap, Boomerang I, Boomerang II, Love Comes Tumbling, Wire Remix...

War b-sides: Endless Deep, Party Girl, Two Hearts Remixes...

Offline bfvertigo1

• Wanderer
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2017, 10:08:45 AM »
The unforgettable fire sounds epic...

Offline MysteriousFly

• Babyface
  • I believe in the powers that be..wont overpower me
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2017, 04:33:52 PM »
Tough...Gotta say War just by a hair. I think War has a more cohesive sound and the songs are really tight. TUF is a great record with some excellent songs. I think the earnestness and militancy of War make the songs rise to a level of intensity that is lacking on TUF. The overall theme of the record is very transportive. Hard call though as both albums are great.   

Offline Chip

• Numb
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2017, 09:41:48 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I see War as the end of the first trilogy of U2 albums. The new wave, angry young man, post Clash, post punk era.
The Unforgettable is therefore the start of the second trilogy that leads to the Joshua Tree and "Rock's Hottest Ticket".
Interesting. I’ve never thought about the “album timeline” that way but makes sense for sure. Not sure if I could ever put The Unforgettable Fire and Rattle and Hum in the same category though!

I see TUF's musical brothers as OS1 and NLOTH.

I'm totally with you. OS1 is the techno sequel to TUF. NLOTH is a return to the same overarching ambient genre.

Offline Chip

• Numb
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2017, 09:46:50 PM »
When I was a new U2 fan in the late '80s, War was easily my favorite U2 album. I loved TUF when I got it a few years later, but it took more time to grow on me to the point of passing War (which by then had dropped in my list below AB and Zooropa), but eventually it did.

One thing that I think gets forgotten these days is that War was pretty much unanimously thought of by rock critics in the late '80s as both one of the best rock albums of the '80s and U2's second-best album after TJT. TUF, in contrast, was much less highly regarded, and even made one book's list of the 50 worst rock albums of all time. Times have changed . . .

Offline Moser

• Wanderer
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2017, 10:49:34 AM »
War is soooo, sooo good. It's one of those records where every song is turned up as loud as possible and I sing my heart out. Great album for the car.

Unforgettable Fire is one of albums I put in the background when I'm doing something. The album reminds me of autumn for some reason.

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2017, 03:05:12 PM »
UF by a long long way. You can tell the greatness of the album by the quality of the songs that didn't make the cut.

You know those really great songs that didn't make the Unforgettable Fire? Disappearing Act, Love comes Tumbling, Yoshino Blossom, Boomerang I/II, Bass Trap, Three sunrises, sixty seconds in kingdom come.......great music

You know those really great songs that Didn't make WAR? ......yeah, me either....

Offline Lizard

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Heard a song that made some sense out of the world
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2017, 12:18:06 PM »
I just can't make up my mind.
I love both albums for very different reasons.
TUF is more of a dreamy album where one song leads into the other.
War has so much energy.
Can't say which one I like more.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2017, 06:22:29 PM »
I couldn't make up my mind either.  The truth is I don't listen to either in full any longer.  They are so very different.  Probably TUF is the stronger album, but I think "War" does illustrate a certain kind of U2 that was strident, confident, and brash.

Offline DoYouFeelLoved

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Holy Dunc Space Junk
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2017, 10:22:06 AM »
I only like six songs on War, the rest I always skip. Plenty of weak tunes, whereas TUF is very solid throughout the whole tracklist.

Offline DK46

• Refugee
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2017, 11:10:39 AM »
I love both, but may give the slight edge (no pun intended) to the TUF as it brought them Eno and Lanois, who did them wonders.  I like the abstract experimentation and just the overall ambient sound to the record.  Elvis Presley and America is such an unusual and unique sounding song, especially on some great headphones.  A Sort of Homecoming is a rouser of an opener, so lush and beautiful. 

That said I love the aggressiveness of War.  It's got some great tight instrumentation, and the rhythm section of Clayton and Mullen may have never sounded better.  Lilywhite really helped amplify that and it's what makes the record special.  They also branched out into political music here, which I guess for some people that is a make or break, but I like politics with my music.  What greater way to speak to the masses?  Granted, there was some subtlety there, a certain abstract nature (which can be seen as a positive or negative regarding Bono's lyrics).  I think it gives the music a timelessness, so it works for me and is one of Bono's gifts as a songwriter IMO.  On War, they sounded fierce and polemic and carried a certain swagger they are greatly lacking these days.  Perhaps it was youth, I dunno.

In general, two excellent albums for me. 
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 11:13:57 AM by DK46 »

Offline Rasmus

• Stateless
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2017, 12:20:50 PM »
War for me. TUF will never be my favorite although I really love half of it.

Online MPare1966

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Trying to throw my arms around the world.
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2017, 10:48:32 PM »
I'm very passionate about both. But WAR gets my vote.

Reasons: first time I heard it at 16, it basically changed my life. It has Surender. It has Drowing Man. Not to mention SBS and NYD. And 40. To this day, I still get goosebumps whenever I listen to it. I know it's not their best album, but to me personally, it's their most striking.

As for TUF: it was the first of their's I got on release day. I still vividly remember the precise moment I dropped the needle on the record and heard the notes to ASOH. It has Bad. It has the title song. Not to mention Pride and Wire. And MLK. For me, it ranks Top5, no hesitation.