Author Topic: The Best Thing Video  (Read 4535 times)

Offline JFW

• Numb
  • Wondering why I still walk the earth
Re: The Best Thing Video
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2017, 11:57:02 AM »
I was waiting for references to Amsterdam. There was one, but nkt a very proud one ;).

O, and New York was former New Amsterdam, of course

Offline Messenger

• Running to Stand Still
  • The universe is beautiful but cold.
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2017, 12:01:53 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Okay they have obviously given up on music videos.

How much return on investment do you think they got with those two SFS videos?

Can't remember the last time I actually watched a music video to see the video....wait it was the Katy Perry - Swish Swish video just to see how terrible it was.

Offline GEMF

• Babyface
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2017, 12:13:04 PM »
Funny how it is a much more enjoyable experience reading the youtube comments than the @u2 forum comments.

This forum is really not representative of what the mass of people like about U2.

Offline wik73

• Numb
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2017, 12:15:31 PM »
Funny how it is a much more enjoyable experience reading the youtube comments than the @u2 forum comments.

This forum is really not representative of what the mass of people like about U2.
This.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline RunningtoStandstill (The League of Extraordinary BonoPeople)

• Airborne Ranger
  • There is no end to love.
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2017, 12:20:17 PM »
To be fair, U2's music videos have never exactly been their strong suit. I mean, SOI and NLOTH's were god awful. It's a shame because with a good director (totally not pitching myself *waves**over here!*) their music could have really outstanding visuals.

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2017, 12:24:20 PM »
Sorry, i don't want to turn into another negative poster in the forum, but i honestly can't stand the video and not seeing how NY ties to the lyrics. like a lot of people i thought this song was about family.  i'm tired of u2 sucking up to the US and especially to a city or way of life that most of the country doesn't identify with. disappointed big time.

Offline JFW

• Numb
  • Wondering why I still walk the earth
« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2017, 12:26:08 PM »
To be fair, U2's music videos have never exactly been their strong suit. I mean, SOI and NLOTH's were god awful. It's a shame because with a good director (totally not pitching myself *waves**over here!*) their music could have really outstanding visuals.
Every Breaking Wave was great! Films of Innocence were good, but never got to watch it a second time

Offline ColseU2

• Wanderer
  • Dream outloud
« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2017, 12:29:45 PM »
Moan moan moan moan moan.... it's their song and piece of art, most 'Fans' don't like the song so why did they expect to like the video. Similar to my last post most fans now are beginning to dislike everything they do, they can't win! Its beginning to get tiring as most posts in the forum are negative and its a fan forum for U2.
Yes everyones entitled to their own opinion but as a fan since 'All that you can't leave behind' and only 23 years old I like the direction their taking, the video seems somewhat fresh with a nod to the past videos. 4K won't bring anything different to the video without it having a specific purpose IMO. I respect the long time fans as my dad is one and he is not feeling the latest direction apart from 'Blackout' - perhaps its an album for all ages/fans, of all different sounds and styles.

I want them to do what they want and enjoy it, and this video shows exactly that and the fact they still look 'Cool' at nearly 60 is brilliant.

Im so glad they have done another segment in the car with the roof off, works brilliantly, the middle finger is great, the playing pool, shots etc. Quirky music video to a pretty good song, waiting eagerly for the rest of the album, music videos and tour! 

Offline Messenger

• Running to Stand Still
  • The universe is beautiful but cold.
« Reply #53 on: September 27, 2017, 12:31:52 PM »
Sorry, i don't want to turn into another negative poster in the forum, but i honestly can't stand the video and not seeing how NY ties to the lyrics. like a lot of people i thought this song was about family.  i'm tired of u2 sucking up to the US and especially to a city or way of life that most of the country doesn't identify with. disappointed big time.

Is it not obvious how U2, the US, the Statue of Liberty and the title "You're the Best Thing About Me" are related? Really?

Offline Peter Parker

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2017, 12:56:23 PM »
The guys look happy! I love it! :D

Offline PopMofo97

• Stateless
  • I'm ready, ready for the gridlock
« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2017, 12:59:54 PM »
The new video I like, is fun, the guys look great. YTBTAM is a great song, catchy and in my opinion it's the perfect pilot single.

Offline danlougee

• Stateless
  • Midnight is where the day begins
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2017, 01:01:09 PM »
What a weird and disappointing video.  No shots of Ali?  No shots of Bono leaving home?  Nothing about being on tour dragging him away from his wife?  Nothing about the fragility of monogamy or of life or of beauty?  Just walking around eating pizza and taking selfies in NY?
Wow, I didn't realize you wrote all of U2's videos.

Offline aviastar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2017, 01:03:36 PM »
I was kinda hoping for oversized coats and a dancing acrobat a-la Two Hearts Beat as One.

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2017, 01:22:13 PM »

Is it not obvious how U2, the US, the Statue of Liberty and the title "You're the Best Thing About Me" are related? Really?
well i'm reinterpreting the lyrics now, but i don't think i read anything before that showed anyone thought this was a song about the US.  personally, i liked the song more when i assumed it was about bono's wife or family.

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2017, 01:43:24 PM »
So a song about Ali has a video with ... wait ... absolutely no relevance to the missus. LOL.

Video is About Subject Matter to the 'T': "Why does it have to be about the thing their singing about so much? I wish they did something more original!"

Video is More General Than Just the Subject Matter: Above.

;)