Author Topic: The Best Thing Video  (Read 4710 times)

Offline KenpoMatt

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • The first wealth is health.
Re: The Best Thing Video
« Reply #60 on: September 27, 2017, 01:46:51 PM »
Regardless of whether people like this video or the text only video, they should’ve waited till this video was edited and released it at the time as the radio release. I don’t see the benefit in splitting the viewing audience on a slapped together word video followed by a real video 3 weeks later.

They did the same thing with Song for Someone, only in that instance the first video was well done ( woody harrelson) and the second video was pretty pointless.

I’m curious as to whether this strategy is Guy O’Seary’s influence, the record label’s or of its the band itself. Same goes for the decision to preview “The Blackout” but have “The Best Thing” be the single a week later. I think the Blackout might’ve got regular play on the modern rock stations at least whereas The Best Thing ( which billboard currently lists as number 5 on Rock 100 chart ) doesn’t appear on many playlists it seems.

Offline lazyboy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #61 on: September 27, 2017, 02:14:34 PM »
It's not gonna gather any attention is it ;D

Seems pretty pointless but at least it only set them back a couple of hours graft!

Kudos for no crowd noise, yes I'm looking at you The Blackout.

Offline Messenger

• Running to Stand Still
  • The universe is beautiful but cold.
« Reply #62 on: September 27, 2017, 02:24:51 PM »
Lyric videos are incredibly common place these days. I'm not sure how much U2 really cares about splitting online views between the videos.

But for all the criticisms of the 2nd video being cheap, cliched, boring etc., (all valid of course - Larry's not in the ocean and there aren't any midgets - that I could see) keep in mind what U2 have been up to. They were and, in most cases, still are:
On a world tour
Finishing up SoI (guess you could argue it's been pretty much done since the spring but who really knows)
Planning to record a TJT concert film
Planning a new world tour for SoI (including, I assume, new/modified stage design, dates, locations)

And in the midst of all that, they've already released the legit first single (now with a legit video), as well as released a video for The Blackout with a live arrangement, performed on two late night shows and multiple radio spots for the single/album.

I think it's understandable that they made a video where, I'm going to guess, it took less than 24 hours to record (editing/post production time not included).

Excuses, excuses I know.

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #63 on: September 27, 2017, 02:28:01 PM »
yeah, what is it with the current trend of a lyric video being released as a teaser for an official video shortly after? Taylor Swift just did it this month also.  Is it just so that something can be put on youtube at the time the single gets released?

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • Nashville, Montreal 1 & 2
« Reply #64 on: September 27, 2017, 02:41:54 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Regardless of whether people like this video or the text only video, they should’ve waited till this video was edited and released it at the time as the radio release. I don’t see the benefit in splitting the viewing audience on a slapped together word video followed by a real video 3 weeks later.

They did the same thing with Song for Someone, only in that instance the first video was well done ( woody harrelson) and the second video was pretty pointless.

I’m curious as to whether this strategy is Guy O’Seary’s influence, the record label’s or of its the band itself. Same goes for the decision to preview “The Blackout” but have “The Best Thing” be the single a week later. I think the Blackout might’ve got regular play on the modern rock stations at least whereas The Best Thing ( which billboard currently lists as number 5 on Rock 100 chart ) doesn’t appear on many playlists it seems.

It probably wasn't finished being edited.

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #65 on: September 27, 2017, 02:53:59 PM »
Lyric videos are incredibly common place these days. I'm not sure how much U2 really cares about splitting online views between the videos.

But for all the criticisms of the 2nd video being cheap, cliched, boring etc., (all valid of course - Larry's not in the ocean and there aren't any midgets - that I could see) keep in mind what U2 have been up to. They were and, in most cases, still are:
On a world tour
Finishing up SoI (guess you could argue it's been pretty much done since the spring but who really knows)
Planning to record a TJT concert film
Planning a new world tour for SoI (including, I assume, new/modified stage design, dates, locations)

And in the midst of all that, they've already released the legit first single (now with a legit video), as well as released a video for The Blackout with a live arrangement, performed on two late night shows and multiple radio spots for the single/album.

I think it's understandable that they made a video where, I'm going to guess, it took less than 24 hours to record (editing/post production time not included).

Excuses, excuses I know.

They have an army of people to do most of the work you mention.. how do they plan a world tour, and plan a live video? Their management do, and they turn up and play for 2 hours. at the end of the day, I don't think they have ever cared much about their videos, or enough to challenge themselves our fans.

It's fine as it is, for the song that it is. But find it strange they appear to sit on things.. They took the time to get the album right... then have last minute panics to mix a single version of a song, within hours of the deadline and then stitch a quick video together...

Offline fishcci

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #66 on: September 27, 2017, 02:56:10 PM »
Certainly not a "GREAT" video; but a colorful and upbeat one: it put me in a good mood :)
As an aside, what was the last video by anyone that really made a difference in sales, airplay, etc.? I think those days have long, long been over... 

Offline fishcci

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #67 on: September 27, 2017, 02:59:29 PM »
Funny how it is a much more enjoyable experience reading the youtube comments than the @u2 forum comments.

This forum is really not representative of what the mass of people like about U2.

Just watched the video, and then read the comments:l agree, a lot more positive (surprisingly) youtube comments then I expected.

Offline achtungx

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Lillywhite Called Me a Naughty British Slang Word
« Reply #68 on: September 27, 2017, 03:03:55 PM »
It was kind of nice to see them relaxed outside of a tv studio or concert environment. They always seem to struggle with being real in my opinion. Always too stodgy. Not the best video, but I enjoyed it. Been awhile since I enjoyed a U2 video. They aren't trying too hard in it. That's refreshing.

Offline u2dc

• Babyface
« Reply #69 on: September 27, 2017, 03:15:07 PM »
Love This Video!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rasmus

• Stateless
« Reply #70 on: September 27, 2017, 03:21:23 PM »
Mediocre video to a very mediocre song. Could live without the american flag all over the place.

Offline motorcycleboy1984

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #71 on: September 27, 2017, 03:23:13 PM »
personally not a fan of this video.
agree with thats it too similar to "all because of you."
its very cheese-y and would fit a boy band better.

i also feel that you definitely miss Paul Mcguinness guiding presence on the last two album releases.
something miss managed about the two songs coming out. weak video etc.
they band are all over the shop.
this new tour is gonna have to have a very special design to capture the general publics imagination.

sorry to be so negative but this kind of stuff they re putting out has me worried that album wont have the impact the band wish
to have.

Offline MEMORY_MAN

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I must follow the path to the endless road...
« Reply #72 on: September 27, 2017, 03:40:38 PM »
I like it.  Lighten up people.

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
  • A dangerous idea that almost makes sense
« Reply #73 on: September 27, 2017, 03:53:18 PM »
U2. Pizza.

What's not to like ?

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #74 on: September 27, 2017, 03:53:41 PM »
U2. Pizza.

What's not to like ?
;D