Author Topic: The Best Thing Video  (Read 4777 times)

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
Re: The Best Thing Video
« Reply #75 on: September 27, 2017, 03:59:43 PM »
so apparently the lyrics to the song ARE about Ali based on where the inspiration for the title came from.  So what's with the video being about NY?  Seems forced.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2017, 04:36:05 PM »
I like that they're smiling and having a good time. Although I'm not sure about Larry. 8)  Anyway, with everything lately being so depressing and heavy, why not wander around NY and eat pizza?  Sounds like a good plan to me.  Nobody can complain that U2 hasn't done their share of heavy stuff, that's for sure.

monopoly

« Reply #77 on: September 27, 2017, 05:30:28 PM »
Is there going to be a 3rd music video? They filmed that girl wearing the lyrics onstage a month ago

Offline u2soul4life

• Babyface
« Reply #78 on: September 27, 2017, 05:31:59 PM »
Video has some parallels to "All Because of You."  This is a video of a band that is joyful to be alive, together, relevant and immersed in humanity.  The song really fits the video well.   Remarkable that U2 can unpack the joy of a song as seamlessly and effectively as when they first did it 40 years ago.       

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #79 on: September 27, 2017, 05:33:24 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Video has some parallels to "All Because of You."  This is a video of a band that is joyful to be alive, together, relevant and immersed in humanity.  The song really fits the video well.   Remarkable that U2 can unpack the joy of a song as seamlessly and effectively as when they first did it 40 years ago.       
Edge- is that you writing this?  ;D

Offline redapple129

• Babyface
« Reply #80 on: September 27, 2017, 06:44:22 PM »
In all honesty, I'm baffled. First verse is a de Blasio-era ad for the most superficial parts of the city with U2 thrown in, second verse is them having a night on the town. I just don't get why this is the video for this song. Sure, it's fun to watch them have fun - and the bridge is a solid 16 bars of music video-making - but it just... doesn't fit. If they were going for a pro-immigration video, show us Jackson Heights, show us Corona or Flushing, not Midtown Manhattan. They were fine with driving into Queens for the shots of them crossing the bridge.

As for why they had the lyric video out for the single's release and then put out a second traditional video, my guess is both it's the norm now and that they wanted to have shots with the 9/11 memorial towers of light, which weren't on in time for a video to have been made in anticipation of the single's release.

Offline mcpaulson22

• Babyface
  • Ill see you again when the stars fall from the sky
« Reply #81 on: September 27, 2017, 09:32:52 PM »
Great music video. Simple, upbeat, and uses the lyrics on a different approach than just a love song to Ali.
U2 songs often have different meanings/interpretations than just one.

And if you are upset about U2 being political or kissing America's ass . . . they have been doing that for years.

Offline tommyboy6913

• Refugee
« Reply #82 on: September 27, 2017, 10:51:52 PM »
Is this a U2 Fan Forum or a U2 B!TC# forum? I swear some of you are so negative. Enjoy this moment. We are about to get their best album in years on Dec 1st.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • Nashville, Montreal 1 & 2
« Reply #83 on: September 27, 2017, 10:54:06 PM »
But really it's just a commercial for The Best Thing Pizza.

I can see you eat so dearly,
I can eat what you can't eat.
I can see you love her madly,
When she gives you her pepperoni.

Offline TheFlyMacphisto

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #84 on: September 27, 2017, 11:03:12 PM »
Oh my. You guys. The criticisms. Just. Keep. Coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perhaps an allegory to the bands quality?

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • Nashville, Montreal 1 & 2
« Reply #85 on: September 27, 2017, 11:20:57 PM »
In all honesty, I'm baffled. First verse is a de Blasio-era ad for the most superficial parts of the city with U2 thrown in, second verse is them having a night on the town. I just don't get why this is the video for this song. Sure, it's fun to watch them have fun - and the bridge is a solid 16 bars of music video-making - but it just... doesn't fit. If they were going for a pro-immigration video, show us Jackson Heights, show us Corona or Flushing, not Midtown Manhattan. They were fine with driving into Queens for the shots of them crossing the bridge.

As for why they had the lyric video out for the single's release and then put out a second traditional video, my guess is both it's the norm now and that they wanted to have shots with the 9/11 memorial towers of light, which weren't on in time for a video to have been made in anticipation of the single's release.

If the song is about Bono and Ali's relationship.....(her humble, graceful) him (superficial, egotistical, brash) the tackier parts of NYC touristy superficiality probably represent the Bono personality. If that makes any sense.

Offline CrisSky

• Babyface
  • Hello, I love U2! I am a singer as well.
« Reply #86 on: September 28, 2017, 01:26:51 AM »
Here's some positivity  8)
I love this video. My favorite video from U2 since Beautiful Day. I liked Magnificent as well, but this one just feels nice. Joy. Bono loves the word Joy. They captured it here.

Offline Zoostation07

• Babyface
« Reply #87 on: September 28, 2017, 02:11:30 AM »
Perhaps there was another video made with the Amsterdam girl but they didn't like it. This can only have been shot a couple of weeks ago when they were in town for Kimmel - I think there was some paparazzi shots of them having pizza etc.

Everything Bono has been saying about the album is around joy and joy being an act of defiance (plus the non-too subtle isn't America a great place for all messaging) - placing it in NY a city that a) they love and b) looks great if not super cliched in a music video - makes it a bit more universal than being about Bono's wife - and if the video was to be purely descriptive of the song do we know that Ali wanted to be in it?!

I dont mind the video - there are some nods to other vids in there Sweetest Thing, ABOY, ISHFWILF ETC. it's goofy and fun and even Larry cracks a smile towards the end - blink and you'll miss it but he does!  ;)

Offline Spaderholic

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #88 on: September 28, 2017, 03:53:13 AM »
Perhaps there was another video made with the Amsterdam girl but they didn't like it. This can only have been shot a couple of weeks ago when they were in town for Kimmel - I think there was some paparazzi shots of them having pizza etc.

Everything Bono has been saying about the album is around joy and joy being an act of defiance (plus the non-too subtle isn't America a great place for all messaging) - placing it in NY a city that a) they love and b) looks great if not super cliched in a music video - makes it a bit more universal than being about Bono's wife - and if the video was to be purely descriptive of the song do we know that Ali wanted to be in it?!

I dont mind the video - there are some nods to other vids in there Sweetest Thing, ABOY, ISHFWILF ETC. it's goofy and fun and even Larry cracks a smile towards the end - blink and you'll miss it but he does!  ;)

Larry SMILES?! Sorry, I refuse to believe such a thing could happen!! :D ;)

I quite like the video. Sure, it's very basic but it's fun and goes nicely with the song. It's good to see the band just hanging out, travelling around their favourite city, just having a laugh, rather than being all moody and posing in a video - which is fine too, of course. I just think this one makes a change. Hardly my favourite ever video of theirs but nowhere near the worst either.

Offline ahittle

• Babyface
« Reply #89 on: September 28, 2017, 06:47:41 AM »
smiliest video