Author Topic: Fan Club Gift (and how a year was skipped)  (Read 1804 times)

Offline sandc

• Babyface
Fan Club Gift (and how a year was skipped)
« on: September 29, 2017, 12:58:38 PM »
So I have been in the Fan Club member since Propaganda and then u2.com without a break in my membership.  Anyway, for u2.com, they used to (5 or 6 years ago?) send out the u2.com subscriber gift right before Thanksgiving every year...and they did this for quite a few years.  Then 1 year the gift slipped to January, then April the next year, then last year June....now this year looking like October maybe (it was promised for September so who knows!)   So, without anyone really realizing it...if you are like me and have never let your membership lapse, u2.com managed to skip a year of giving a gift as we are now almost back to November again getting gifts!

Nothing worth losing sleep over, but sort of lame also....since they advertise a gift each year and managed to skip one gradually.

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
Re: Fan Club Gift (and how a year was skipped)
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 02:11:11 PM »
I stopped renewing automatically when my membership expired.  I'm waiting until the gift becomes available.  While the timing of the release has gotten almost unbearable, the gifts themselves have gotten a lot better.

Offline Smee

• Numb
  • Im Eddie and im a Monkey
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 07:41:40 AM »
I expect nothing less from such a badly run outfit

Offline ultravioletlight

• Numb
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 09:38:45 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I expect nothing less from such a badly run outfit
Agreed. U2.com is the most poorly run “business” I’ve ever seen. Just complete and utter incompetence.

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 10:43:36 PM »
I only join for the 'gift' but other than the pre-order codes, i'm curious what other reasons people have to join and what all they actually expect from it?  to be honest on my own behalf, i don't really expect much and rarely even go to the site.  I've never purchased items from the store but i know the discount would be nice if i did.

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
  • A dangerous idea that almost makes sense
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 05:22:42 AM »
Well... My subscription goes back to Propaganda too and I'll just say that, generally, interacting with suscribers has never been a priority for U2. Nice gifts from time to time, highs and lows... but the general sentiment is that every once in a while they get caught off guard "oh, shoot, we forgot about the gift. What can we do this time ?".

It's a shame but not new.

Offline Smee

• Numb
  • Im Eddie and im a Monkey
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 09:58:32 AM »
I only join for the 'gift' but other than the pre-order codes, i'm curious what other reasons people have to join and what all they actually expect from it?  to be honest on my own behalf, i don't really expect much and rarely even go to the site.  I've never purchased items from the store but i know the discount would be nice if i did.

I mostly joined up for the pre-sale codes. The gifts are a bonus, but they dont always tickle my fancy. I have to say, as a fansite, i seldom actually use the site. The best bit for me, was the media section, the vids that were posted. But i have to say, i find them irritatingly short and few and far between these days. I enjoyed the off stage, behind the scenes footage, but mostly now, we seem to get about 20 sec vids of part of a song, taken from a live show.
Everything that might attract you to a fansite, is done far better, by other fansites out there (like atu2).
Pi*s poor site overall!!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 10:02:07 AM by Smee »

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 11:05:46 AM »
Speaking of which, isn't the set of JT singles due out soon?  I thought it was scheduled for late September.  Any word on it?

Offline Marvinho

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 11:07:49 AM »
I've been in since Propaganda. I join for the records they release as "gifts" that cost $50. I rarely use the shop as I have a 25% discount code but can't use it on the things I want to buy like The Joshua Tree box set for some reason. I have millions of t-shirts and don't need another just 'cos I get 25% off. Without the "gifts I wouldn't bother as tickets are not that difficult to come by as I know folk who always go see U2 and never sign up to U2.com

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NYC 3, Belfast 1,2
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2017, 07:04:24 AM »
It like the time in Shawshank Redemption when the prisoner Andy took out the sand in his pant leg for several years and no one noticed. U2.com did the exact same thing. Yup.

Offline WhenIsSOE

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • aka The Ultra Beasts (Welcome back!)
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2017, 10:04:58 AM »
How do I get old U2.com gifts like U22?

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2017, 12:41:18 PM »
I've seen them on e-bay. probably the only way at this point.

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2017, 12:42:25 PM »
i missed out on reading PRopaganda.  Wish i could get my hands on copies of it now. i just remember when i was a teen it looked so cool.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NYC 3, Belfast 1,2
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2017, 03:58:56 PM »

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2017, 05:50:39 PM »
i missed out on reading PRopaganda.  Wish i could get my hands on copies of it now. i just remember when i was a teen it looked so cool.
I had all the old Propaganda magazines, but I'm pretty sure I threw them out in a fit of cleaning one day.  Really wish now that I hadn't been so thorough.