Author Topic: Question about All I Want Is You & The First Time!  (Read 314 times)

Offline Larry Mullen Seniors Son

• Babyface
Question about All I Want Is You & The First Time!
« on: September 29, 2017, 03:56:53 PM »
Am I the only person who picks up on the sonic similarities between these songs? Especially the back half of each song. The First Time is definitely more restrained and is much more alternative sounding, but I feel they're in the same key. I've searched the internet for a connection, but no luck. Did U2 just sample their own song? That's a gutsy move if so.

Offline JTNash

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: Question about All I Want Is You & The First Time!
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 04:38:07 PM »
This is what writers do.  Take a John Williams for example you can here his similar style and themes in all his move works, I'd not call that sampling their own work though.

Offline robgalloway

• Intellectual Tortoise
Question about All I Want Is You & The First Time!
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 04:51:01 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Am I the only person who picks up on the sonic similarities between these songs? Especially the back half of each song. The First Time is definitely more restrained and is much more alternative sounding, but I feel they're in the same key. I've searched the internet for a connection, but no luck. Did U2 just sample their own song? That's a gutsy move if so.

U2 have sampled their own song a number of times. Vertigo bass line is I Will Follow bass line. Wake Up Dead Man on Pop uses a sample that is also on Zooropa but then again Wake Up Dead Man was written at the same time. Lady With The Spinning Head is the mother of The Fly, Ultraviolet, and Zoo Station I think.

As to The First Time it isn't the same key as All I Want Is You. The First Time is in E major and if I remember rightly All I Want Is You is Ab major. I've not play the songs side by side but the progression might be similar. I.e. The chords make the same movements but in a different key/register.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 04:54:20 PM by robgalloway »

Offline SwimmingSorrows

• Refugee
  • Some folks are bound for glory, I was Born to Hang
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 05:04:37 PM »
Yeah I think First Time's verse chords are E and A, and I think All I Want is You is Ab and Db, both 2.5 steps apart.

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 05:15:00 PM »
and AIWIY came from WOWOY.
Their songs take so many different paths in the recording studio, they have lots of offshoots they've explored.

Offline benpoke

• Stateless
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 11:53:53 PM »
Yep, the chord progressions to The First Time are the same as All I Want Is You (albeit in different keys) and the structure is pretty much the same.

Offline Rasmus

• Stateless
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2017, 02:03:28 AM »
This comes to mind: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

• Babyface
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2017, 02:37:53 PM »
Thanks all - I noticed "Best Thing About Me" has that same string-instrument flourish on the back-end of the song. I hope I'm not reaching too much here - But is it possible that this is a trilogy of songs? Just at first glance at all three's lyrics, it may seem that they're all written from Bono to Ali.

Offline anthonyintijuana72

• Babyface
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2017, 11:11:23 AM »
Bad, all I want is you, the first time and sometimes you can make it on your own are all of the same dna

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2017, 11:41:01 AM »
Others here aren't emphasizing the similarities enough.  They feature different melodies, but the structure, chord progression, tempo, and even FEEL of the songs are similar enough to be practically identical.  You can literally sing one song on top of the other.  In point of fact, I used to play AIWIY on piano, and would do a verse of The First Time during the bridge of the song.  They're the same song.

• Babyface
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2017, 06:52:27 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Others here aren't emphasizing the similarities enough.  They feature different melodies, but the structure, chord progression, tempo, and even FEEL of the songs are similar enough to be practically identical.  You can literally sing one song on top of the other.  In point of fact, I used to play AIWIY on piano, and would do a verse of The First Time during the bridge of the song.  They're the same song.

That's what I'm getting at here. The differences are subtle.