Author Topic: U2's version of "Help"  (Read 466 times)

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
U2's version of "Help"
« on: September 30, 2017, 04:52:33 PM »
Does anyone remember U2 covering “Help” on the original TJT tour?  Their version was slow, which if I recall correctly was how John Lennon envisaged the song before commercial pressures made the Beatles speed it up in the recording studio.  an tha shared this article with me and the version of the song - he thought it'd interest other U2 fans.  There’s loads of other U2 material on this site too.  What do you all think?

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Lizard

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Heard a song that made some sense out of the world
Re: U2's version of "Help"
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 02:50:04 AM »
They've done it a couple times on the original Joshua Tree Tour. It is really a great cover of the song.
This is a video of a performance in Los Angeles:

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 05:24:12 AM »
They've done it a couple times on the original Joshua Tree Tour. It is really a great cover of the song.

Yes, I have seen that before.  A longer version of "Help" was originally played during the Conspiracy of Hope tour a year earlier - the message of the song starkly relevant to Amnesty's campaign in aid of prisoners of conscience across the world: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  The Maggie's Farm-Cold Turkey cover was also a fixture of their short 1986 setlist.

There were many covers on the original TJT tour, in contrast to the anniversary show: Springhill Mining Disaster, Helter Skelter, All Along the Watchtower, People Get Ready, Exodus, Tequila Sunrise, etc.  Does anyone else have any favourite(s)?

Offline Smee

• Numb
  • Im Eddie and im a Monkey
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 07:35:52 AM »

Yes, I have seen that before.  A longer version of "Help" was originally played during the Conspiracy of Hope tour a year earlier - the message of the song starkly relevant to Amnesty's campaign in aid of prisoners of conscience across the world: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  The Maggie's Farm-Cold Turkey cover was also a fixture of their short 1986 setlist.

There were many covers on the original TJT tour, in contrast to the anniversary show: Springhill Mining Disaster, Helter Skelter, All Along the Watchtower, People Get Ready, Exodus, Tequila Sunrise, etc.  Does anyone else have any favourite(s)?

The original JT tour BLOWS the 30th anniversary show clear out of the water IMHO. Id rather hear u2 cover any of them songs, than i would hear them do the likes of BD, Vertigo or Elevation.
Help, back in the day, was such a great u2 cover. I loved the tempo of it. What id give to see the band recapture the essence they had back then.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 12:48:15 PM »
I was at "The Conspiracy of Hope" tour in Chicago and heard them play "Help".  It's not my favorite U2 cover, but I really do like their version of "All Along the Watchtower".

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 01:05:51 PM »
I was at "The Conspiracy of Hope" tour in Chicago and heard them play "Help".  It's not my favorite U2 cover, but I really do like their version of "All Along the Watchtower".

Someone uploaded an audience shot video of "Help" at the Chicago Conspiracy of Hope show, which might bring up some memories for you, shine.  The sound quality is nice: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login 

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • Nashville, Montreal 1 & 2
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 02:49:54 PM »
I always really loved Help by U2 on JT87. Very well done.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2017, 05:37:05 PM »
Thanks for the trip down memory lane, Il Capo.  It's a nice rendition of the song and very heartfelt. 

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 03:01:27 PM »
Yeah he let the audience sing most of it, good times.

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2017, 12:16:01 AM »
It was a great lead in to Bad in the late 80's