Author Topic: U2: Being Relevant is The Best Thing About Them  (Read 774 times)

Offline TheOriginal

• Stranger in a Strange Land
U2: Being Relevant is The Best Thing About Them
« on: October 03, 2017, 12:15:10 AM »
As a fan who loves what u2 is about, I feel like fans are too harsh sometimes in judging U2's apparent quest for "relevance" and "hits". I think that their music is clearly not as good as it used to be, but staying up to date on production and releasing pop music is how U2 looks ahead. I don't think they are that concerned about how they look; it's more of them wanting to not stay behind and wanting to incorporate new aspects of the music culture. That's why their music has become less about rock - rock is not as relevant and as groundbreaking as it used to be.
They obviously want to look forward to the future, so in a way, i would be disappointed if a new album was just "playing to their strengths" like some fans want. Anyone feel the same way?

Online So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
Re: U2: Being Relevant is The Best Thing About Them
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 12:18:45 AM »
Nope. Don't feel the same way.

U2 is one of the all time great rock bands

U2 is a very mediocre pop band

Offline DoYouFeelLoved

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Holy Dunc Space Junk
U2: Being Relevant is The Best Thing About Them
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 05:41:42 AM »
I don't feel the same way either.

It has already been said countless times here and it's a tiresome argument, but I believe U2 should learn from Radiohead who don't give a **** about being popular or relevant and just focus in making great music.

U2 are legends that changed the face of rock music and inspired hundreds of modern bands, so I find their cravings for relevancy absolutely ridiculous and unnerving, especially if the results are things like The Best Thing.

They've sold 200 million records, they're rich, they're one of the best bands of all time.

They don't need any of that.

They're the only ones who believe it's necessary to be popular when in fact they're not doing any favor to their status with this approach.

I'm aware that mine is a very harsh view, of course I'm not them and they don't owe me anything, but I can't feel any different about this.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 06:05:58 AM by DoYouFeelLoved »

Offline WhenIsSOE

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • I hope we will meet again!
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 08:48:13 AM »
U2 is one of the best everything bands!  ;D

Offline Lizard

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Heard a song that made some sense out of the world
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 12:23:32 PM »
I think it is o.k. - or let's better say: a good thing - that they still want to reach a young audience. And I hope they will succeed with YTBTAM or with the new album.

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 12:30:57 PM »
i just wish they'd squash the new habit of seeking out current/hot producers.  they have their own unique sound (or at least they did), they don't need to cater to the youth who don't care.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 12:44:22 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think it is o.k. - or let's better say: a good thing - that they still want to reach a young audience. And I hope they will succeed with YTBTAM or with the new album.

It's a complete pipe dream to think that in a few months high school kids are going to be discovering U2 and playing them alongside all the hip hop and pop music they're already into. It's sheer fantasy.

But then, contra 1992, Bono needs the pop kids nowadays.

Offline MadRob360

• Refugee
  • Jealousy Is A Disease
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 02:23:17 PM »
I pretty much love 99.9% of what U2 started as, was, and is now, THAT said i do wish they'd have a tad more swagger like the 90's. 'We don't need the pop kids!' Indeed. U2 does pop music pretty well, they achieve the 'joy' they go after i think. But i'd take The Rockier U2 anyday, While i really like YTBTAM, Blackout is far more interesting and would have been a stronger lead single. Probably contradicted myself a lot thereso apologies but at least i know what i'm getting at haha

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 04:22:59 PM »
There is a difference between being adaptive and taking blatant shots at relevancy, and U2 unfortunately fit the mold of the latter nowadays. You're the Best Thing About Me is a completely unashamed grasp for success, and an unnatural shift in style. Reminds me a bit of Coldplay.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2017, 06:36:57 PM »
I don't agree.  I think they should make the kind of music that pleases them and stop worrying about capturing the zeitgeist.  I'm not sure that achieving relevancy is something you can accomplish through conscious effort anyway.

Offline ZEROpartII

• Child of Grace
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2017, 07:06:25 PM »
Gotta bust it out again

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Smee

• Numb
  • Im Eddie and im a Monkey
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2017, 09:09:58 AM »
I feel BONO'S persuit of relevance with the pop kids, is what is killing the bands creativity and crtical acclaim. Stop trying to sound like contempory bands and do your own thing. Thats when u2 are at their best
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 09:28:16 AM by Smee »

Offline BalconyTV

• Numb
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2017, 09:40:31 AM »
U2s earliest music was jaunty and unsettling. It was dark and brooding. They were certainly not trying to be pop then. Sure they wanted to be big, but thats a different thing. Bono said many times in the earliest days that they rebelled against what was on the radio. For the rest of the 80s they charged their own path. Sure they're music god bigger and more epic, but it still dark and brooding with some exceptions. In the 90s they did the same. They literally changed it all up and pushed themselves into totally new music territories. I have no problem with the resetting with All That You Can Leave Behind... it was more optimistic and joyful. And I honestly think No Line was them back being interesting, atmospheric and even brooding. But their dabble with that didn't go down well, and now they seem back to going for a very populist formula. Now it seems they risk being exactly what then never wanted to be. They've lost themselves somewhere on this path... and when that happens, its hard to find a way back. And if they don't view it that way... then they just don't view it this way. But it is staggering to believe the same band who wrote The Best Thing wrote anything they did in the 90s. Sometimes I wonder how much other writers are doing for them. It can be puzzling. I live in hope. Blackout was decent.

Offline Smee

• Numb
  • Im Eddie and im a Monkey
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2017, 10:14:42 AM »
U2s earliest music was jaunty and unsettling. It was dark and brooding. They were certainly not trying to be pop then. Sure they wanted to be big, but thats a different thing. Bono said many times in the earliest days that they rebelled against what was on the radio. For the rest of the 80s they charged their own path. Sure they're music god bigger and more epic, but it still dark and brooding with some exceptions. In the 90s they did the same. They literally changed it all up and pushed themselves into totally new music territories. I have no problem with the resetting with All That You Can Leave Behind... it was more optimistic and joyful. And I honestly think No Line was them back being interesting, atmospheric and even brooding. But their dabble with that didn't go down well, and now they seem back to going for a very populist formula. Now it seems they risk being exactly what then never wanted to be. They've lost themselves somewhere on this path... and when that happens, its hard to find a way back. And if they don't view it that way... then they just don't view it this way. But it is staggering to believe the same band who wrote The Best Thing wrote anything they did in the 90s. Sometimes I wonder how much other writers are doing for them. It can be puzzling. I live in hope. Blackout was decent.
Pretty much sums it up to me.

Offline JTNash

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2017, 10:33:15 AM »
I don't agree.  I think they should make the kind of music that pleases them and stop worrying about capturing the zeitgeist.  I'm not sure that achieving relevancy is something you can accomplish through conscious effort anyway.
exactly!  It's their art let them do what they want