Author Topic: U2 rehearsing Spanish Eyes and Sweetest thing for Mexico City DVD  (Read 1641 times)

Offline OnlyU2

• Holy Joe
  • Who's to say what it is will break you
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

From U2start.com:
Mexico City is ready for two amazing shows of which the first one will be tonight. Bono has confirmed that the shows will be filmed and the band has rehearsed at least two songs that didn't make it to any show this year yet (Spanish Eyes & Sweetest Thing)

Offline WhenIsSOE

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • I hope we will meet again!
Re: U2 rehearsing Spanish Eyes and Sweetest thing for Mexico City DVD
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 08:53:19 AM »

From U2start.com:
Mexico City is ready for two amazing shows of which the first one will be tonight. Bono has confirmed that the shows will be filmed and the band has rehearsed at least two songs that didn't make it to any show this year yet (Spanish Eyes & Sweetest Thing)
Those were both written for Joshua Tree. Interesting....
I hope they don't play Spanish Eyes though, even if I've never heard it, it cant be better than Sweetest Thing!

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 09:22:10 AM »
Interesting.  I wonder what songs from the original set they would opt to replace with them?  I think I'd have preferred both of them to the encore segment I saw, but they're pretty deep cuts.

Nice to hear they seem to be recording those shows.  I was expecting maybe a pre-Christmas release, but that doesn't seem like enough time.

Offline WhenIsSOE

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 09:24:00 AM »
Interesting.  I wonder what songs from the original set they would opt to replace with them?  I think I'd have preferred both of them to the encore segment I saw, but they're pretty deep cuts.

Nice to hear they seem to be recording those shows.  I was expecting maybe a pre-Christmas release, but that doesn't seem like enough time.
Maybe they cut Bad and A Sort Of Homecoming.

Offline OnlyU2

• Holy Joe
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 09:29:07 AM »
I hope they cut Miss Sarajevo

Offline WhenIsSOE

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 09:29:48 AM »
Heck no! That was one of the best parts of the show!

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 09:31:11 AM »

ASOH was already cut, though, right?  I didn't think they've been doing that since the early shows.

By far the weakest moment in the show.  I kind of can't believe they kept it for the whole tour.

Offline WhenIsSOE

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 09:36:32 AM »

ASOH was already cut, though, right?  I didn't think they've been doing that since the early shows.

By far the weakest moment in the show.  I kind of can't believe they kept it for the whole tour.
Are you insane? I thought it was pretty powerful. If they were to replace it, it should be Please taking it's place.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 09:41:38 AM »

Are you insane? I thought it was pretty powerful. If they were to replace it, it should be Please taking it's place.

To each their own--I'm glad it worked for you.  I don't disagree with the message they were conveying, but that was pretty much a video about the Syrian refugee crisis.  The song itself had been performed much better on the Vertigo Tour, and the "carrying" of the banner was awkward and confusing in practice--I was one of the folks doing the carrying, and never actually saw the image on it.  After performing TJT, it felt weird to go into a slow tempo, downer, deep cut song.  It kicked off what I felt was a really lackluster encore segment.  Please would have been better.

Offline WhenIsSOE

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2017, 09:43:41 AM »

To each their own--I'm glad it worked for you.  I don't disagree with the message they were conveying, but that was pretty much a video about the Syrian refugee crisis.  The song itself had been performed much better on the Vertigo Tour, and the "carrying" of the banner was awkward and confusing in practice--I was one of the folks doing the carrying, and never actually saw the image on it.  After performing TJT, it felt weird to go into a slow tempo, downer, deep cut song.  It kicked off what I felt was a really lackluster encore segment.  Please would have been better.
I never really thought about the banner thing, in case you still don't know it was a picture of the girl on the screen.
In all honesty, I was pretty sure the whole time that some greedy jerk wouldn't pass the banner and would try to keep it for himself.  ::)

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2017, 09:56:31 AM »

I never really thought about the banner thing, in case you still don't know it was a picture of the girl on the screen.
In all honesty, I was pretty sure the whole time that some greedy jerk wouldn't pass the banner and would try to keep it for himself.  ::)

LOL.  Yeah, I think somehow I figured out what it was--he was saying something like "Carry her!"  Maybe I even saw videos online.  I was close to the house left edge of the seating, so all of a sudden I'm being passed this just banner thing from my left, covering nearly the whole section.  I was just at the bottom of it, and was moving it hand over hand with everyone else.  Fine and all, but it was kind a distraction from the performance (such as it was), I couldn't really see it, and it only made it to about the halfway point of the stadium--even after it passed over, I never did see the image before it disappeared from the crowd.  It kind of reminded me of the masks in 360--sort of a silly interactive display with the audience.  It just seemed kind of a hollow display, despite the good intentions. 

Offline WhenIsSOE

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2017, 09:58:11 AM »

LOL.  Yeah, I think somehow I figured out what it was--he was saying something like "Carry her!"  Maybe I even saw videos online.  I was close to the house left edge of the seating, so all of a sudden I'm being passed this just banner thing from my left, covering nearly the whole section.  I was just at the bottom of it, and was moving it hand over hand with everyone else.  Fine and all, but it was kind a distraction from the performance (such as it was), I couldn't really see it, and it only made it to about the halfway point of the stadium--even after it passed over, I never did see the image before it disappeared from the crowd.  It kind of reminded me of the masks in 360--sort of a silly interactive display with the audience.  It just seemed kind of a hollow display, despite the good intentions.
I can see your point. I still stand by my statement that if Miss Sarajevo is replaced, it should be by Please.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2017, 10:00:06 AM »

I can see your point. I still stand by my statement that if Miss Sarajevo is replaced, it should be by Please.

I'd agree with you.  Still a politically-charged song, an appreciated nod to Pop for its 20th anniversary, an absolute monster live, and something they've barely touched since.

Offline OnlyU2

• Holy Joe
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2017, 10:14:11 AM »
It would be better if Bono sang the Italian verse, like he did during 360

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2017, 10:25:13 AM »
The DVD is going to be the Mexico City show?  Didn't they already do the Pop Mart DVD from there?  Seeing Spanish Eyes live would be cool.  Like that song.