Author Topic: U2 nominated for two MTV EMAs  (Read 913 times)

Offline Spaderholic

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: U2 nominated for two MTV EMAs
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2017, 05:21:19 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Royal Blood are the far superior band to U2 at the moment. I gave my vote to them in the rock category... I view them as a modern-day, alt-rock version of Led Zeppelin. check Royal Blood out if you into bands like Queens of the Stone Age.

I adore Queens Of The Stone Age but I just haven't been able to get into Royal Blood. I don't mind Little Monster and I think the video for Out Of The Black is hilarious but overall I find their sound a bit too one dimensional for my liking and lacking strong melodies, like QOTSA have.  I agree Royal Blood have a sort of Led Zeppelin sound though. I'm just a melodies person, myself and find their stuff all a bit tuneless and monotonous at times!

QOTSA, on the other hand, just get better and better all the time, imo. Their latest album Villains and their last album Like Clockwork are my favourite albums by them and I've liked the since The Lost Art Of Keeping A Secret. Brilliant band. :)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 05:22:58 PM by Spaderholic »

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2017, 07:46:36 PM »
Royal Blood are the far superior band to U2 at the moment. I gave my vote to them in the rock category... I view them as a modern-day, alt-rock version of Led Zeppelin. check Royal Blood out if you into bands like Queens of the Stone Age.

I adore Queens Of The Stone Age but I just haven't been able to get into Royal Blood. I don't mind Little Monster and I think the video for Out Of The Black is hilarious but overall I find their sound a bit too one dimensional for my liking and lacking strong melodies, like QOTSA have.  I agree Royal Blood have a sort of Led Zeppelin sound though. I'm just a melodies person, myself and find their stuff all a bit tuneless and monotonous at times!

QOTSA, on the other hand, just get better and better all the time, imo. Their latest album Villains and their last album Like Clockwork are my favourite albums by them and I've liked the since The Lost Art Of Keeping A Secret. Brilliant band. :)

How Did We Get So Dark? is stronger than Royal Blood's first album melodically, but I'm not sure if you've heard it. I do concede that their sound is a bit one-dimensional at times.

As for Queens of the Stone Age, ...Like Clockwork would have to be my favorite. Villains is fine and consistent, but I've only listened to it once and can't comment much.

Offline jules

• Stateless
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2017, 02:03:08 AM »
Voting more than once does not make sense....

Offline Messenger

• Running to Stand Still
  • The universe is beautiful but cold.
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2017, 07:55:47 AM »

It's not an election. It's a popularity contest for awards that are basically meaningless at an event created solely to promote a television station. Don't overthink it.

Offline Daniel94

• Refugee
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2017, 08:55:08 AM »

How Did We Get So Dark? is stronger than Royal Blood's first album melodically, but I'm not sure if you've heard it. I do concede that their sound is a bit one-dimensional at times.

As for Queens of the Stone Age, ...Like Clockwork would have to be my favorite. Villains is fine and consistent, but I've only listened to it once and can't comment much.

Outside of a couple songs, I thought How Did We Get So Dark? was pretty bad - a lot of cliche riffs, forgettable lyrics, and over-produced vocals. Villains is solid and has some great songs.

Offline Smee

• Numb
  • Im Eddie and im a Monkey
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2017, 09:05:02 AM »
I couldnt care less if u2 win or not. I wont be voting. Personally, i dont like them being included in the mainstream, especially in this day and age

Offline 73October

• Numb
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2017, 01:45:29 PM »
I have voted but not sure how much difference it has made.  Is it fixed anyway?  Also gave newcomer vote to Rag n Bone Man and Best Fans got my solidarity vote of Ariana Grande.  Anyone who went through what they had to deserves to get something - and in memory of the ones that didn't make it.  Not to mention some of them were under 10 years old.

Anyway, then I did the 'fun' MTV host quiz 'Which EMA host are you?' (multiple choice questions). Came up as Ed Sheeran.  Really unsure if this is a good or bad thing....

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2017, 07:28:34 PM »

Outside of a couple songs, I thought How Did We Get So Dark? was pretty bad - a lot of cliche riffs, forgettable lyrics, and over-produced vocals. Villains is solid and has some great songs.

That's a fair opinion, different strokes and all that... I personally find the vocal treatments to be very fitting with the deep guitar tones and aggressive, reverb-heavy drumming. You've got a few tracks on there that feel clumsy until the chorus kicks in (She's Creeping and Look Like You Know are prime examples).

Overall, Royal Blood are great at constructing catchy hooks, but often fail by clumsily building up to them.

Offline Daniel94

• Refugee
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2017, 09:12:44 PM »

That's a fair opinion, different strokes and all that... I personally find the vocal treatments to be very fitting with the deep guitar tones and aggressive, reverb-heavy drumming. You've got a few tracks on there that feel clumsy until the chorus kicks in (She's Creeping and Look Like You Know are prime examples).

Overall, Royal Blood are great at constructing catchy hooks, but often fail by clumsily building up to them.

Yea, I'd agree with that. I liked their debut album quite a bit so I had relatively high expectations going into the second one. Also, from what I've seen, they put on a good live show, which is always a plus.

When talking about Royal Blood, someone inevitably brings up Death From Above 1979 so I guess I'll be the one this time. Do you like em?

Offline jules

• Stateless
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2017, 02:14:06 AM »

It's not an election. It's a popularity contest for awards that are basically meaningless at an event created solely to promote a television station. Don't overthink it.

OK, thanks for the info

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2017, 06:51:21 AM »

Yea, I'd agree with that. I liked their debut album quite a bit so I had relatively high expectations going into the second one. Also, from what I've seen, they put on a good live show, which is always a plus.

When talking about Royal Blood, someone inevitably brings up Death From Above 1979 so I guess I'll be the one this time. Do you like em?

You know, I've never given myself the opportunity to listen to that band... any recommendations?

Offline lazyboy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2017, 07:55:54 AM »

It's still a joke. They could at least tie it to an email, or even your cache/cookies  ;D

It's really just an award for who has the fans with most time on their hands..... I'm sure someone could program an auto click on this too.

Offline Messenger

• Running to Stand Still
  • The universe is beautiful but cold.
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2017, 12:37:51 PM »

It's still a joke. They could at least tie it to an email, or even your cache/cookies  ;D

It's really just an award for who has the fans with most time on their hands..... I'm sure someone could program an auto click on this too.

Pretty much. Their objective is to try to increase engagement. Putting arbitrary limits on it - like 10 votes per day max. - is counterproductive.

Offline Daniel94

• Refugee
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2017, 12:52:23 PM »

You know, I've never given myself the opportunity to listen to that band... any recommendations?

I legit like all of their stuff so it's hard to choose but here are a handful: Romantic Rights, Losing Friends, Blood On Our Hands, Black History Month, Cheap Talk, White is Red, Statues, All I C Is U & Me.

Their newest album is really good.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2017, 03:57:44 PM »

I legit like all of their stuff so it's hard to choose but here are a handful: Romantic Rights, Losing Friends, Blood On Our Hands, Black History Month, Cheap Talk, White is Red, Statues, All I C Is U & Me.

Their newest album is really good.

Checking it out now!