Author Topic: U2 shooting video for "Get Out Of Your Own Way"  (Read 11591 times)

Offline WhenIsSOE

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • aka The Ultra Beasts (Welcome back!)
Re: U2 shooting video for "Get Out Of Your Own Way"
« Reply #240 on: October 13, 2017, 10:42:28 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm LOVING the chorus for GOOYW. The verse...not so much.
I don't know whether or not I have heard the verses yet, is the part about Lincoln's ghost in the verses? If so I like the chorus AND the verses.

Offline feedback

• Refugee
  • 'Father is an Elephant'
« Reply #241 on: October 13, 2017, 02:05:08 PM »
I'm LOVING the chorus for GOOYW. The verse...not so much.
I don't know whether or not I have heard the verses yet, is the part about Lincoln's ghost in the verses? If so I like the chorus AND the verses.

Lyrically speaking, the verses are fine. I'm talking about the melody.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #242 on: October 13, 2017, 02:24:20 PM »
The Lincoln's ghost part is quite deep.  Lots to ponder in that one.

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #243 on: October 13, 2017, 02:41:32 PM »
If you saw u2 once this summer only because they were doing JT and not because it was u2!!!  then yes I consider you a casual fan. I'm not saying you're not a fan. But the fact it was Joshua tree definitely brought out a lot of "i don't like their new stuff but I loved u2 back then" fans. Those people don't care about what they're doing right now. The real die hands are the ones who went to IE and will go to EI. I spoke to so many fans who dismissed that tour and said they didn't bother going to it. Seems more casual than anything to me. I consider everyone on this forum to be a die hard simply because we all care about what the band is still up to and not just "a Saturday date night" forget it happened act. And of course there's the general public (not really fans) who go to these concerts to say they went.

But... someone that was a hard-core fan back in the 80's or 90's that fell out of love with their later material, can still genuinely be just as much a fan of the band... just fans of old u2.. They grabbed the opportunity to see their favourite album played again, and probably loved the show more than most... I don't understand the casual fan comments... there are just fans. And there are non fans that go to see them for the experience, or because they are on a list of acts they aught to see, or because they were bored and looking for something to do on a Thursday night.

There does not need to be this pecking order, about who are the true more deserving fans..
Not directed aware at you monopoly,I read this stuff all the time.

Offline ultravioletlight

• Numb
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #244 on: October 13, 2017, 09:56:33 PM »
The Lincoln's ghost part is quite deep.  Lots to ponder in that one.
Bono frequently references Lincoln in interviews. Clearly a personal hero for Bono.

Offline dirtdrybonesandstone

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #245 on: October 14, 2017, 09:55:54 AM »
Looks like the last remaining video of this has been removed from youtube.   Hopefully that means the release is imminent.

Offline robgalloway

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #246 on: October 14, 2017, 10:57:18 AM »
If you saw u2 once this summer only because they were doing JT and not because it was u2!!!  then yes I consider you a casual fan. I'm not saying you're not a fan. But the fact it was Joshua tree definitely brought out a lot of "i don't like their new stuff but I loved u2 back then" fans. Those people don't care about what they're doing right now. The real die hands are the ones who went to IE and will go to EI. I spoke to so many fans who dismissed that tour and said they didn't bother going to it. Seems more casual than anything to me. I consider everyone on this forum to be a die hard simply because we all care about what the band is still up to and not just "a Saturday date night" forget it happened act. And of course there's the general public (not really fans) who go to these concerts to say they went.

I sat out of JT30 tour ... I went to three shows on the IE tour ... I'll probably go to two shows on the next tour ... I like the element of surprise at a gig ... it's no fun when you know the running order of 11 songs straight. I hope this fad of celebrating classic albums dies of death soon. It so lame. The audience/promoters/labels shouldn't be dictating the set list. Let the artist be the artist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #247 on: October 14, 2017, 11:57:53 AM »

I sat out of JT30 tour ... I went to three shows on the IE tour ... I'll probably go to two shows on the next tour ... I like the element of surprise at a gig ... it's no fun when you know the running order of 11 songs straight. I hope this fad of celebrating classic albums dies of death soon. It so lame. The audience/promoters/labels shouldn't be dictating the set list. Let the artist be the artist.

Seriously? You sat it out for that reason?  I went and to be honest it was just like any other u2 gig. Distinctly u2, big event feel and they were in fine form. I enjoyed it just like any other tour once there.
Plus all tours and set lists predictable if you follow sites like this one.

Offline wik73

• Numb
« Reply #248 on: October 15, 2017, 07:12:46 AM »

Seriously? You sat it out for that reason?  I went and to be honest it was just like any other u2 gig. Distinctly u2, big event feel and they were in fine form. I enjoyed it just like any other tour once there.
I saw it 3 times and only because it surprised me how much I enjoyed it. My wife is a casual fan and she loved it - all 3 times. Red Hill Mining Town and Trip took on a whole new life I hadn’t heard before IMHO.

Offline robgalloway

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #249 on: October 15, 2017, 07:21:24 AM »

Yeah I've seen a couple of bands do these album tours and I find it lame because sometimes when a band sets out on tour they might have ideas halfway through the tour. Happy accidents and what not. When you're contractually bound The a setlist it removes that. Like take 360 tour for example that evolved beyond belief as it progressed. I'd rather a band be able to drop a song one night if they so wished. I want the band to play what they want to play in that moment. Not be sent out promoting former glories.

Offline WhenIsSOE

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #250 on: October 15, 2017, 07:44:36 AM »

Yeah I've seen a couple of bands do these album tours and I find it lame because sometimes when a band sets out on tour they might have ideas halfway through the tour. Happy accidents and what not. When you're contractually bound The a setlist it removes that. Like take 360 tour for example that evolved beyond belief as it progressed. I'd rather a band be able to drop a song one night if they so wished. I want the band to play what they want to play in that moment. Not be sent out promoting former glories.

Yeah, it was pretty good.

Offline wlomaco

• Stateless
« Reply #251 on: October 17, 2017, 03:19:25 PM »

So I'm a tour latecomer (started at first 360 leg).  However, JT2017 has been my favorite tour, even if I also loved SOI because it was more intimate.  There was something about hearing so many of my all time favorite U2 tunes, including the ones I've always wanted to hear live (One Tree Hill, Running), and especially including the ones that never were my favorites on the album (Exit), but that absolutely blew me away live.  Same with Mothers.  So, well worth going to twice.

Offline WhenIsSOE

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #252 on: October 19, 2017, 11:14:18 AM »

So I'm a tour latecomer (started at first 360 leg).  However, JT2017 has been my favorite tour, even if I also loved SOI because it was more intimate.  There was something about hearing so many of my all time favorite U2 tunes, including the ones I've always wanted to hear live (One Tree Hill, Running), and especially including the ones that never were my favorites on the album (Exit), but that absolutely blew me away live.  Same with Mothers.  So, well worth going to twice.
Same with me for Red Hill Mining Town. Even though I can't choose whether I like the I+E or TJT30 tour more!