Author Topic: U2 shooting video for "Get Out Of Your Own Way"  (Read 11427 times)

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
Re: U2 shooting video for "Get Out Of Your Own Way"
« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2017, 08:12:55 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
4 rosaries... hmmm    ;D

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Maybe he's warding off demons  :o

Ju Ju man, Ju Ju man!

I'm really digging the new song too, especially Bono trying new melody structures.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 01:01:46 AM by The Edges Cat »

Offline Clarky

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #61 on: October 06, 2017, 08:43:25 PM »
They are probably filming another video for Best Thing

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2017, 09:51:42 PM »
They are probably filming another video for Best Thing

Turn up the volume. ;)

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #63 on: October 06, 2017, 11:29:21 PM »
This new one sounds interesting.  Kind of Lennon-esque.

Offline lucas.homem

• Numb
« Reply #64 on: October 07, 2017, 12:27:31 AM »
Very Coldplayish indeed.

I like the melody of this one much more than Best Thing, but... the instrumentation is very bland from what I can hear.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #65 on: October 07, 2017, 01:25:15 AM »
Sounds very breezy and laid back. I thought they'd have followed up The Best Thing with a rocker. We haven't heard enough to judge the whole song, my guess is that the music will probably build additional layers as the song progresses.

Offline andrewau2

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Smack in the centre of contradiction = place to be
« Reply #66 on: October 07, 2017, 04:40:12 AM »
Am I hearing that correctly?    'The promised land is there for those who need it most and (but?) Lincolns ghost said 'get out of your own way'.    Profound if so.  Looking forward to this one.

"There's a song called "Get Out of Your Own Way" where I've tried to use some biting irony to reflect the anger out on the streets "Fight back, don't take it lying down you've got to bite back. The face of liberty is starting to crack, she had a plan until she got a smack in the mouth and it all went south like freedom. The slaves are looking for someone to lead 'em, the master's looking for someone to need him. The promised land is there for those who need it most and Lincoln's ghost says get out of your own way."

source: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline dirtdrybonesandstone

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #67 on: October 07, 2017, 05:06:50 AM »
Am I hearing that correctly?    'The promised land is there for those who need it most and (but?) Lincolns ghost said 'get out of your own way'.    Profound if so.  Looking forward to this one.

"There's a song called "Get Out of Your Own Way" where I've tried to use some biting irony to reflect the anger out on the streets "Fight back, don't take it lying down you've got to bite back. The face of liberty is starting to crack, she had a plan until she got a smack in the mouth and it all went south like freedom. The slaves are looking for someone to lead 'em, the master's looking for someone to need him. The promised land is there for those who need it most and Lincoln's ghost says get out of your own way."

source: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Thanks for posting that.   It's almost like a hymn.   They may have finally done it with this one; perhaps unintentionally.

Offline Zoostation07

• Babyface
« Reply #68 on: October 07, 2017, 06:38:17 AM »
It doesn't sound forced like Best Thing (there is a song in there somewhere but I'm not quite sure where) and Black Out (surely they could write a chorus for this? The verses work but the 'chorus' is really annoying and gets repeated far too many times).

This sounds like they didn't try too hard - from the clip that's a nice melody and there is some bass and drums in the mix. Considering U2 are lucky enough to have one of the most unique sounding sticksmen in the business they have done a fairly good job of burying him way down in the mix for the past 20 years. Maybe it's just me but quite a few of the drum parts since ATYCLB have been a bit pedestrian - however with all these songs we've heard from SOE it sounds like he's got his mojo back.

Offline Smee

• Numb
  • Im Eddie and im a Monkey
« Reply #69 on: October 07, 2017, 08:43:54 AM »
Another bland pop offering from the band. I really fear u2 are about to release their weakestst ever album.....based on the 4 songs we have heard.

Offline PopMofo97

• Stateless
  • I'm ready, ready for the gridlock
« Reply #70 on: October 07, 2017, 08:52:05 AM »
Another bland pop offering from the band. I really fear u2 are about to release their weakestst ever album.....based on the 4 songs we have heard.

Why so negative?

Offline very good

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #71 on: October 07, 2017, 08:53:19 AM »

All 4 songs - from what we've heard - for me are miles better than anything on SOI. Don't think we are looking at a classic but certainly a massive improvement on their last LP.

Offline Smee

• Numb
« Reply #72 on: October 07, 2017, 08:58:53 AM »

Why so negative?
having been a fan since 1982, i know all too well of the greatness the band is capable of. I genuinely like all the albums to date, some more than others, but having now heard 4 sub standard u2 songs, all from the same album, it doesnt exactly fill me with confidence

Offline Smee

• Numb
« Reply #73 on: October 07, 2017, 09:00:30 AM »

All 4 songs - from what we've heard - for me are miles better than anything on SOI. Don't think we are looking at a classic but certainly a massive improvement on their last LP.

Im the polar opposite form you. I really like SoI (apart from The Miracle). I think its a strong collection of songs

Offline JFW

• Numb
  • Wondering why I still walk the earth
« Reply #74 on: October 07, 2017, 09:15:05 AM »

Im the polar opposite form you. I really like SoI (apart from The Miracle). I think its a strong collection of songs
I feel a bit the same way, Smee. At the moment I like SOI pretty much. I think it was more the 'idea' and that it was more 'personal' what I liked about it. But I can't get a similair feeling to these new songs (yet), while Blackout is nice.

But I try to wait to burn the album. It took over a year to like SOI. I listened to it many times and said:'nope, U2 is gone.' But after listen to it many times, spread over that year, I had to admit: the album very good. I hope a bit that that's gonna be the case for SOE. Until then (1 December 2018) I try to find all the good stuff in it.

And that's a note to all my co-forum writers  ;). Please, let everyone try to get hyped about the album.