Author Topic: How many % do you love u2?  (Read 1056 times)

Offline DK46

• Refugee
Re: How many % do you love u2?
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2017, 08:13:09 AM »
From 1980-2000, it's in the high 90s for me.

Post-2000, it takes a slight dive, so somewhere in the 70 range to maybe 80 range.  However, there are songs I can certainly appreciate on those albums.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2017, 09:33:44 AM »
hmm...let's work this out:

'80s: The only albums I still love are TUF and October, although I love the EPs.

'90s: I haven't listened to AB in over 16 years, so there's no way I could say I still love it unless I was married to it. Having said that, my love for the other 3 albums from that decade is still growing.

2000-present:  I've always appreciated ATYCLB from a "songwriting craft" angle, but I never really warmed up to it, let alone loved it.
I still love Bomb because they went full-throttle for something; the fact that they missed just makes it more weirdly appealing to me. My love for the last 2 is still growing as well.

...that comes out to what - about 50%, more or less?   :P

Offline PopMofo97

• Stateless
  • I'm ready, ready for the gridlock
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2017, 01:34:47 PM »
100%

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2017, 05:45:53 PM »
I'd say it's almost impossible to be able to honestly say you love U2 more than 90%. For a band that has gone and done so much different stuff and been around for so long, you have to have chunks in there that don't resonate with you as much as others. It feels disingenuous, self-congratulatory and a little ignorant to claim that you "love" 90%+ of what they have done. I'd say I LOVE about.... 70% of what they have put out into the world. Which if you think about it, is a lot. 7 out of 10 songs I love. Maybe that's still a bit too high, but I'll err on the side of fandom.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2017, 11:16:21 AM »
These numbers seem extremely high, or others have a different idea of what "love" means in this context.  I'd say I'm at about 50%, give or take.  That's the era from 1984 - 1997, maybe minus Rattle and Hum.  That's 5 albums, 6 if you count Passengers.  The stuff after 1997 (4 albums) has been spotty to the point I'm rarely bothered to listen to any of that stuff at all.  The earlier stuff is pretty darn good, but it's hard to say if I LOVE it.  Strongly like?  Hard to say.

This isn't exactly a criticism, either.  Pink Floyd are another of my favorite bands--perhaps a bit moreso than U2, if I'm honest--but I'm not sure I "love" anything from their early, pre-Meddle era, or after the Wall, with the exception of the Division Bell, which I kind of love despite it not being the "classic" era.  So maybe 60% for them?

Offline WhenIsSOE

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • aka The Ultra Beasts (Welcome back!)
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2017, 12:38:46 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Not sure, but it is definitely dwindling the longer the band continues to put out songs like TBT, California, and TUC. At this point I'd be happy if I liked maybe 5 songs from the upcoming album. Hoping to be pleasantly surprised.
WTH is TUC?!?

Offline tommyboy6913

• Refugee
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2017, 12:47:43 PM »
For me it went from 110% to about 100%. They are still one of the best bands in the world.

Offline WhenIsSOE

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2017, 12:49:07 PM »
90-98%, I would say last year it was around 95, but now it's a 98-99 because of the SOE hype!

Online Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2017, 01:09:15 PM »
If we're talking about how much of the music I love, I'd say about 75%. There're a couple of albums I like a lot but don't love, one album I don't even like very much, and a few songs here and there that are misses for me.

But if we're talking about how much I love the band, it's 100%.

Offline WhenIsSOE

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2017, 01:12:16 PM »
You should add a poll with increments of 10%.

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2017, 01:55:46 PM »
Smee, I'd have to say same-ish as you. I love U2 85-90%.

Why they lost points:
- overt corporate shilling, at times. Seen on the Rose Bowl 360 DVD, Bono thanks blackberry, livenation etc... during the "spiritual" instrumental part of With or Without You.

(I don't doubt nor begrudge that behind the curtains, the band are shrewd businessman. Like how they demanded $$ from apple/Tim Cook to buy SOI, so it can be distributed free to the public.)

- poor marketing that embarrasses themselves as dad rock/ uncool rock (and embarrasses us fans by extension): that Get On Your Boots official music video was so cheesy. I suspect The Miracle (of Joey Ramone) music vid was very similar, I didn't watch that.

Some of their album promo shots (ie: actual important images) scream "old rockers snoozing" to non-fans/ the general public. So at least it's fresh that with Best Thing, they have Edge's daughter, who just looks like a young girl to the general public.

Offline WhenIsSOE

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2017, 01:58:25 PM »
Smee, I'd have to say same-ish as you. I love U2 85-90%.

Why they lost points:
- overt corporate shilling, at times. Seen on the Rose Bowl 360 DVD, Bono thanks blackberry, livenation etc... during the "spiritual" instrumental part of With or Without You.

(I don't doubt nor begrudge that behind the curtains, the band are shrewd businessman. Like how they demanded $$ from apple/Tim Cook to buy SOI, so it can be distributed free to the public.)

- poor marketing that embarrasses themselves as dad rock/ uncool rock (and embarrasses us fans by extension): that Get On Your Boots official music video was so cheesy. I suspect The Miracle (of Joey Ramone) music vid was very similar, I didn't watch that.

Some of their album promo shots (ie: actual important images) scream "old rockers snoozing" to non-fans/ the general public. So at least it's fresh that with Best Thing, they have Edge's daughter, who just looks like a young girl to the general public.
The Miracle video was just average.
Here's a trailer for the Films Of Innocence video (AKA the real one)

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2017, 06:19:10 PM »
You should add a poll with increments of 10%.

No point, its obvious what it would look like.

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2017, 08:51:43 AM »
It's a statistical question so it deserves a statistical answer: I guess if I am listening to a U2 album and I habitually skip over certain songs, those songs are negative, and if I don't they're positive. I tend to listen to:

Boy: 7/11
October: 6/11
WAR: 8/10
UF: 10/10
JT: 11/11
Rattle and hum: 11/15
Achtung, Baby: 12/12
Zooropa: 8/10
POP: 10/12
ATYCLB: 6/11
HTDAAB: 5/11
NLOTH: 8/11
SOI: 11/11

So of 148 songs on named albums (not counting Medium Rare, Passengers, MDH, Spiderman etc), I regularly listen to 113. That's a mere 76%!

Offline WhenIsSOE

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2017, 10:44:06 AM »
It's a statistical question so it deserves a statistical answer: I guess if I am listening to a U2 album and I habitually skip over certain songs, those songs are negative, and if I don't they're positive. I tend to listen to:

Boy: 7/11
October: 6/11
WAR: 8/10
UF: 10/10
JT: 11/11
Rattle and hum: 11/15
Achtung, Baby: 12/12
Zooropa: 8/10
POP: 10/12
ATYCLB: 6/11
HTDAAB: 5/11
NLOTH: 8/11
SOI: 11/11

So of 148 songs on named albums (not counting Medium Rare, Passengers, MDH, Spiderman etc), I regularly listen to 113. That's a mere 76%!
I would say more 11/12 for Achtung Baby, I'm not the biggest fan of Acrobat.
What would you say about the 3-4 songs we have from SOE?