Author Topic: Bands/Artists you used to love, but have fallen from favour?  (Read 691 times)

Offline Smee

• Numb
  • Im Eddie and im a Monkey
Bands/Artists you used to love, but have fallen from favour?
« on: October 07, 2017, 10:00:30 AM »
For a long time, James (of Laid fame) were my number 2 all time fave act. But truth is, the albums they have released since reforming, in 2007, dont really float my boat (compared to pre split albums) and i think James have drifted from my No 2 fave spot.

Offline coolz481

• Stateless
Re: Bands/Artists you used to love, but have fallen from favour?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 12:56:34 PM »
Wilco.  I first got into them with their second album, Being There, but they didn't start getting much attention until their label dropped them rather than release what became their most well-regarded album Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.  IMO, the next album, A Ghost is Born, was even better.  But since then, there have been innumerable line-up changes, singer Jeff Tweedy got sober, and they just became b..o..r...i...n...g.  Good on Tweedy for getting clean though!

Offline ZEROpartII

• Child of Grace
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 01:34:09 PM »
Coldplay.  I think each album is a step backward after Rush of Blood.  I was on board right at Parachutes which I deem almost equal to Rush of blood. 

I think the last album corrected the downward slide but their first 2 albums are on an unreachable plane to hit. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • welp, looks like I'm not making it to 10k posts
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 09:02:25 AM »
I agree with both Coldplay and Wilco. I would add Arcade Fire, Ted Nugent and Foreigner to that list. Lots more on it, but those were the first 3 that came to mind.

Offline Clarky

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 05:48:38 PM »
the Killers

Offline aviastar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 06:43:48 PM »
Counting Crows.  I thought August and Everything After and Recovering the Satellites were amazing albums (particularly Satellites)...and then everything fell off after that.  This Desert Life had some good songs but it went downhill fast from there...including a really crappy cover of Big Yellow Taxi with Vanessa Carlton.

I still love the Recovering The Satellites though.  That album has moments of brilliance.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2017, 08:11:55 PM »
i hesitate to add anything, i started a thread similiar to this years ago only to come back around on the artists i'd given up on <namely DMB>. i go through extreme lengthy withdrawls but usually tend to get re-hooked on them with a new release, seeing them on tour, etc. but yea right now Coldplay and the Killers are the 2 i'm most let down in.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2017, 10:31:06 PM »
Definitely Coldplay, though they still put on a great show. Green Day is up there for me too, but I still appreciate what they do.

Offline DoYouFeelLoved

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Holy Dunc Space Junk
Bands/Artists you used to love, but have fallen from favour?
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2017, 03:47:39 AM »
Coldplay for sure. Amazing first three albums, X&Y quickly became one my all time favs when it came out, and then they lost me completely.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2017, 07:22:01 AM »
Biggest example for me is Smashing Pumpkins.  I really liked them in the 90's, but have had no interest in anything they've done after their "reunion", nor anything Billy Corgan has done since Zwan.  I can't really even listen to the 90's stuff at this point, either. 

I feel like there are a lot of other acts I've lost interest in as well.  I don't have much inclination to listen to all those Annie Lennox and Sting albums I have.

Offline DoYouFeelLoved

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Holy Dunc Space Junk
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2017, 01:16:05 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Biggest example for me is Smashing Pumpkins.  I really liked them in the 90's, but have had no interest in anything they've done after their "reunion", nor anything Billy Corgan has done since Zwan.  I can't really even listen to the 90's stuff at this point, either. 

I feel like there are a lot of other acts I've lost interest in as well.  I don't have much inclination to listen to all those Annie Lennox and Sting albums I have.
I can say that the Pumpkins come second after U2 in my favorite bands ranking, and I sadly have to agree about Corgan...

His output after the band's demise has constantly been quite bad, self indulgent and very often cringeworthy.

I don't think I can't find a single song that I like of his post-Pumpkins work, saved maybe by some things he made with Zwan.

It's so sad to think he used to be one of the greatest songwriters of the 90's.

Offline 73October

• Numb
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2017, 02:32:29 PM »
Pulp - Jarvis Cocker is a genius of sorts, but they seem dated now when listening to them.  Blur & Oasis have stood the test of time.

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2017, 05:14:47 PM »
There's a few bands who i started to dislike just because their fans are that bad.  cough Pearl Jam cough.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2017, 05:48:06 PM »
What's wrong with Pearl Jam fans?  I actually only know one--I work with him and he's a great guy.

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2017, 07:00:29 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
What's wrong with Pearl Jam fans?  I actually only know one--I work with him and he's a great guy.
maybe its just the ones i know who have ruined the band for me- not that i was ever much of a fan, but i do tend to see some similar characteristics among the lot.

i might also add that i know for a fact that i've ruined u2 for a few people.