Author Topic: The draw to U2 to younger fans  (Read 1577 times)

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
The draw to U2 to younger fans
« on: October 08, 2017, 02:10:10 AM »
I've been an active member for a few years now and I see that there are a lot of long time fans and then a few very active very young fans. Being 37 myself I feel like I missed out being a fan at the time when JT came out and then the musical transition that occurred with AB. I'm curious what it is to the younger fans that draws them to the band now. Is it because the heard the older stuff first or did they listen to the new stuff and then discover the older songs, or what? Pop was the first album that was a new release for me but I was already a huge by that point, due mostly to WOWOY and JT, AB and Zoorooa. Wookiee and WhenIsSOE, I'm looking at you two...

Offline DoYouFeelLoved

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Holy Dunc Space Junk
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 04:49:48 AM »
I am in my late twenties and became a fan when I was 16, so I have missed all of their greatest moments.

To answer your question, it all started with Beautiful Day and ATYCLB for me. It had already been my favorite song since childhood when it first came out, but when I finally heard the album I was instantly hooked.
Then after listening to Bomb, which was huge at the time, I went back to discover all of the old records.

Having grown up in the 90's surrounded by the great european electronic and dance scenes, I was blown away by Pop and it became a favorite of mine straight away.

Hope this satisfy your curiosity, I guess most young twenty/thirty something fans have followed a similar path as mine.

Offline Smee

• Numb
  • Im Eddie and im a Monkey
Re: The draw to U2 to younger fans
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 07:59:34 AM »
I too have found myself curious as to why "younger" fans would be drawn to the band these days. Im guessing most are getting into the band coz of the modern day releases, as id be genuinely suprised if it was the older albums (pre 90s) that got this section of fans hooked. I just think you had to be about at the time, for the albums to make any sort of sense. I could be wrong tho

Offline tom_b1807

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 09:06:41 AM »
I myself am 19, and I'd say I've considered myself a 'fan' for a few years now, although I can safely say I am in the minority there with my age group. My dad has always been quite a casual fan and you could say that I grew up with the band a little bit but it's only been recently where I've taken an active interest in them. I'd say generally I'm a fan of 80s and 90s music and early 2000s (coincidentally when U2 were biggest/at the peak) and am generally not a fan of what is considered 'popular' music nowadays with a few exception, like Kendrick Lamar for example (funilly enough it was the U2 collar that got me into him) So I guess like any of the older fans here I was just drawn to the tons of quality music this band, because whilst the music is becoming older and older the one thing that stays the same is the magic of the output this band have made over the many years. Probably the moment that turned me into a fan 100% was watching the Slane castle DVD, and it was really that that turned me onto them as a fan and I have seen them twice on I&E and on TJT2017 tour, with my dad, which both incredibly experienced. So in summary I would just say through a mixture of listening to them intermittently when I was younger and just having an 'older' taste in music generally is what draws me to the band. And while I'm at it I just want to add that I hope all you older fans realise how lucky you are to have been alive when Zoo TV, Elevation tour etc were around, I think I would chop off a limb to be able to take a time machine back to one of those concerts, as great as the concerts I have seen were!

Offline wlomaco

• Stateless
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 11:21:16 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I am in my late twenties and became a fan when I was 16, so I have missed all of their greatest moments.

To answer your question, it all started with Beautiful Day and ATYCLB for me. It had already been my favorite song since childhood when it first came out, but when I finally heard the album I was instantly hooked.
Then after listening to Bomb, which was huge at the time, I went back to discover all of the old records.

Having grown up in the 90's surrounded by the great european electronic and dance scenes, I was blown away by Pop and it became a favorite of mine straight away.

Hope this satisfy your curiosity, I guess most young twenty/thirty something fans have followed a similar path as mine.

My niece and her husband are 32 and 34.  They both got hooked by Beautiful Day.  I think that's when it started for those "young ones."  It's like there were two phases of fans, those of us who got hooked in the 80's with the original stuff, and then another wave of fans that are 20-25 younger than the rest of us.  And, I have to say, having seen them in concert 6 times since 2004, I feel like the crowd has gotten increasingly younger.  Or at least young kids are somewhat represented.  Especially in GA.

Offline mdewater

• Stateless
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 12:15:42 PM »
I wouldn’t say I’m a “very” young fan at 27, but I discovered U2 at 14 years old thanks to How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb. The iPod campaign got me. Fell in love with the sound of City of Blinding Lights, then the album as a whole, and then started further exploring their catalog. Beautiful Day was a song I knew of but hadn’t paid a whole lot of attention to, and a few other hits were songs I knew and liked, but didn’t know they were U2. Took a deep dive into their full catalog and the rest is history!

Offline PopMofo97

• Stateless
  • I'm ready, ready for the gridlock
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2017, 01:40:57 PM »
I'm 41 and I'm a fan from Achtung Baby. I missed the era of Joshua Tree, but next years were mine :)

Offline Racingfan53

• Babyface
  • Gal 2:20
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2017, 01:59:48 PM »
Hello, maybe I can help as a high-schooled teenage (girl!) fan of U2!

For me it was originally Joshua Tree.  I slowly grew to absolutely love the Big Three from JT--WOWY, Still haven't Found What I'm Looking For, and Streets.  I then started listening to the albums in full, and as I write this, I'm listening to TUF (my favorite U2 song, to be honest.)  It took me a while to appreciate War, Boy and October, and I'm still not the biggest fan of POP and Zooropa, but most of the other albums were immediate love.

I'm a person who really does not have a "musical taste" as it is conventionally known.  I love music across all genres, as long as I consider it great music.  So the draw for me, personally, is U2's depth and timeless greatness.  The lyrics, masterful orchestration of the songs, and legacy is what I love.

Offline Sonofabono

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2017, 02:02:17 PM »
I'm 26. I didn't become a fan until around 2002. HTDAAB was the first album that came out while I was a fan. I know HTDAAB isn't everybody's favorite record, but it grabbed me. I haven't let go since.

Looking back, I think what attracted to me U2 was their U2-ish ness. Again, HTDAAB isn't everybody's favorite record, but it is unmistakably a U2 record. Nobody else writes songs like Miracle Drug and COBL.

Turning the corner to whether or not more younger fans will come on board, though I like YTBTAM, it has me worried about the contents of the new record cause it's not obviously U2ish. Maybe some people will like that, but, it has me worried. U2 is at their best when they're being U2. That doesn't mean writing recycled versions of Streets over and over again. You can hear the U2ishness in War and JT and AB and Zooropa, all very different albums. U2 being U2 involves some level of transcendence. I don't know if YTBTAM has it.

monopoly

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2017, 03:40:19 PM »
I always see some young faces at the concerts. But is there a draw to u2  right now? - no. It's mostly  parents taking their kids. The whole Apple thing was a real damage doer to u2 in the minds of the younger generations. And they're at an age where people are seeing them more of a greatest hits act than making music that's still relevant.

Offline DK46

• Refugee
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2017, 03:58:04 PM »
I'm 29 and became a fan around mid 2002.  A counselor would play ATYCLB all the time at camp and I was hooked.  I bought the album that summer and listened to it endlessly.  Later that year, I bought the The Best of 1990-2000 album after seeing the Electrical Storm video on VH1 many times.  I've been a fan ever since.  I knew people in high school who were big fans and saw them on the Vertigo Tour.  For whatever reason, I didn't care about live music at the time, so I didn't see them until 360.  I liked HTDAAB well enough at the time, but it's lessened since.  Though my fandom rapidly increased again around NLOTH and I knew some people who were into U2 too.  I went with a good friend to 360 and bought her tickets as a b-day present.   

All that said, I have maybe one or two friends who really likes them as much.  It's odd, but despite being one of the biggest bands ever, they're sort of a band for me as not many (if any) people I know really listen to them.  Does that make sense?  I'm okay with that, but sure...they get some ridiculous flak from younger people. 

I saw some younger people at TJT2017, so I dunno.  Perhaps it's parents taking their kids.  But yeah, I don't see Songs of Experience bringing in swaths of new fans, but whatever, that ship has sailed.  I guess I was lucky to get into them when I did, but they were still pretty popular from 2000 to 2005.  Perhaps when they finally break up, people will reevaluate them and they'll become the biggest thing ever again, if for a limited time. 
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 04:02:03 PM by DK46 »

Offline TheOriginal

• Babyface
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2017, 09:20:53 PM »
I'm a fan in my late teens, and I first got into them when Bomb was out. My dad was a casual fan, so I loved Vertigo and COBL. From there, I didn't love them until I went back and started listening to ALTYCLB. I also loved the Live in Chicago, Live in Boston and Go Home concerts. From there, I got into TJT, and then their transition into AB (which is my favourite album). I started listening to AB and got really interested in what drove them from TJT to AB. I was pretty much hooked after that, and now I know basically their whole catalogue (exluding maybe Boy and October). So to sum up, I was hooked by ALTYCLB and Bomb, but I love them because of TJT and AB.

Offline tommyboy6913

• Refugee
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2017, 11:34:48 PM »
I saw a lot of people when I saw them in Dallas back in May of this year. I saw people that were in their 20's and 30's. I also saw some really young fans that were probably with their parents and a couple of older people. It was a good mix of young and old and it was quite diverse...Asian, Indian, Hispanic, White and some African-Americans...It was nice to see such diversity at the U2 show in Dallas.

Offline DoYouFeelLoved

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Holy Dunc Space Junk
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2017, 03:42:00 AM »
At the London shows of I+E I remember seeing lots of twenty something and teenagers. It's hard to tell if it's in any way indicative of a growing young following, cause in Turin the month before there were none, mostly people in their fourthies and onward.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 03:44:26 AM by DoYouFeelLoved »

Offline the_chief

• Refugee
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2017, 06:14:55 AM »
Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me.

Also, Pride for some reason and the bass line in New Year's Day.