Author Topic: The draw to U2 to younger fans  (Read 1610 times)

Offline jjack339

• Stateless
Re: The draw to U2 to younger fans
« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2017, 12:36:50 PM »
32 here. Got hooked on the band in college. Always liked the biggest hits Pride, WoWY, Streets, ISHNFWILF, and One. I had a friend who was a diehard U2 fan and he burned let me burn Joshua Tree and October. Loved those albums. Then a short while later HTDAAB came out and I bought it 1st week on CD. I think at this point I became a U2 "fan" because over the next year I bought U2 albums 1 at a time when I could find them (some of the older ones were hard to find, best buy is where I finally found Boy).

Offline jonnydeaf

• Stateless
« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2017, 12:50:10 PM »
I'll speak for my early teen daughter.

She heard U2 frequently in the house growing up, and when SoI came out, she heard it constantly.  She really liked Miracle, Every Breaking Wave, and California is her favorite.  For one of her piano recitals, she played Angel of Harlem, one of her favorites.  We took her to the I/E concert last time around the JT tour last summer.  She frequently wears the t-shirts (and I've bought the next sizes already so she'll keep wearing them).  She also likes Weezer, Coldplay, and Bruno Mars - among others in the Pop/Rock genre.  Coldplay and U2 are the same type of act for her Beatles and Stones as it was in the 60s.  She has to be reminded that Coldplay came 2nd, so when she says, "This sounds like a Coldplay song..." I have to reminder her u2 came first...until this record.

This record sounds like the greatest Coldplay album ever. I don't mean that as a slight.  I mean that as, U2 still makes better albums than their contemporaries in the Pop/Rock genre.  For my daughter, that's her wheelhouse. 

Of course, she doesn't understand why certain lyrics mean certain things. And some topics make the songs both intriguing and frightening (Raised by Wolves, SBS) for example. 

Personally, to see her go to school each day in a "I Want to Run/I Want to Hide" t-shirt gives me a good feeling.  And as much as I could trade "Streets" for another song this tour, I won't mind if she enjoys it this summer. 

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I Am Here
« Reply #62 on: December 08, 2017, 02:51:36 AM »
This is a really great thread. Really interesting to read the comments made by younger fans. As a 40+ year old, I guess the comparison is something like the Stones 20 years ago. One way or another I heard various Stones songs whether it be in movies, covers and so on and sometimes that would make me look into more of their music to see what else was good. At the end of the day, good music is good music and it comes down to whether the individual is happy enough with the music of the present or interested enough to explore more of the past.

Offline zeeTV

• Numb
  • But I can change the world in me... REJOICE
« Reply #63 on: December 08, 2017, 05:02:15 AM »
Basically born into a U2 fam, so could never escape it. And glad I didn't
they make me so full, they give me something that no one else today can
and I love things that are uncool to our gen, ;)

Offline TongueInMyEar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Love it won't be long....
« Reply #64 on: December 08, 2017, 08:58:37 AM »
30 years old so not exactly a young fan. But anyway.....

Got into U2 initially around 98/99, my brother had the 1980-1990 best of and played it a lot, and I started really enjoying certain songs from it (Streets and Bad mostly).

Then 2000 when ATYCLB came out and Beautiful Day was played everywhere my interest grew. My brother started buying some older albums, I remember in particular him coming home with AB and Pop.

13 year old me decided to start with Pop, because it had a cool bright cover and the title suggested I might like it more. I did enjoy it but didn't set the world on fire.

Then I decided to give the one with the weird German word a go. AB was the first time I really understood the importance of an album. It's the first album I became obsessive over, and the first time I became obsessive over music in general. It's still in my top 3 albums of all time (probably top 2).

And then I started buying everything of theirs I could, and that's continued to today.

Offline apoed

• Babyface
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2017, 07:04:38 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
One more point for the older fans.  A lot of people here seem to assume the younger fans must have got into U2 through their recent material, but I think that assumes that we listen to music in the same way as older generations did, which isn't really true.  We have the entire history of music at our fingertips, and that means we aren't as stuck in our time as previous generations.  Almost everyone I know loves music both new and old.  Most of us love the Beatles and Fleetwood Mac as well as new bands like twenty one pilots and Walk the Moon.  If we hear a song we like by a band and want to hear more, we can just go find their most beloved album or a greatest hits playlist in seconds.  There are so many ways to get into a band now.  I got a friend into U2 by watching It Might Get Loud, as she liked The White Stripes a lot.  There's a band called Bane's World I found because I was listening to a song on Spotify called You Say by Dori Freeman, and their song You Say I'm in Love was alphabetically next.  There is really no one way that new fans get into U2, as there are now so many ways to do it.

Good point.  As a 12 year old in 1987, I became aware of U2 through Joshua Tree songs being played on pop radio, and I enjoyed Streets and Still Haven't Found whenever they came on, but I never really became a big fan until a classmate of mine gave me a cassette for the Unforgettable Fire album two years later.  First I heard "A Sort of Homecoming" and thought, "oh, this is interesting", and then "Pride" came on next and I had just discovered my new favorite band (and they have remained in that position for 28 years).  I'm not really sure how I'd never remembered hearing "Pride" before then, but I was only 9 or 10 when it came out, and pop music wasn't on my radar yet, so I'm guessing that's how it seemed new to me 5 years after its release.   

Offline scrittoresabino

• Stateless
« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2017, 09:44:56 PM »

Got into U2 initially around 98/99, my brother had the 1980-1990 best of and played it a lot, and I started really enjoying certain songs from it (Streets and Bad mostly).

Then 2000 when ATYCLB came out and Beautiful Day was played everywhere my interest grew. My brother started buying some older albums, I remember in particular him coming home with AB and Pop.

13 year old me decided to start with Pop, because it had a cool bright cover and the title suggested I might like it more. I did enjoy it but didn't set the world on fire.

Then I decided to give the one with the weird German word a go. AB was the first time I really understood the importance of an album. It's the first album I became obsessive over, and the first time I became obsessive over music in general. It's still in my top 3 albums of all time (probably top 2).

And then I started buying everything of theirs I could, and that's continued to today.

Curious, what are the other 2 albums?

Offline scrittoresabino

• Stateless
« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2017, 09:51:33 PM »
Since at least Vertigo tour, I started noticing Parents bringing their kids to the U2 concerts - Some grade-school, a few looking like high school age. Any time I would see someone in their teens or perhaps earlier 20s it seemed to always be with a parent.

In the I+E tour, there were noticeably quite a few groups of younger people, with no parents in sight. This increased drastically on the TJT2017 tour. Perhaps this was partially due to the venues being so much larger. Still, it appears the ratio was higher than previous tours, and at all of the 3 TJT2017 shows I went, not just one.

Offline scrittoresabino

• Stateless
« Reply #68 on: December 11, 2017, 10:01:10 PM »
I'll speak for my early teen daughter.

She heard U2 frequently in the house growing up, and when SoI came out, she heard it constantly.  She really liked Miracle, Every Breaking Wave, and California is her favorite.  For one of her piano recitals, she played Angel of Harlem, one of her favorites.  We took her to the I/E concert last time around the JT tour last summer.  She frequently wears the t-shirts (and I've bought the next sizes already so she'll keep wearing them).  She also likes Weezer, Coldplay, and Bruno Mars - among others in the Pop/Rock genre.  Coldplay and U2 are the same type of act for her Beatles and Stones as it was in the 60s.  She has to be reminded that Coldplay came 2nd, so when she says, "This sounds like a Coldplay song..." I have to reminder her u2 came first...until this record.

This record sounds like the greatest Coldplay album ever. I don't mean that as a slight.  I mean that as, U2 still makes better albums than their contemporaries in the Pop/Rock genre.  For my daughter, that's her wheelhouse. 

Of course, she doesn't understand why certain lyrics mean certain things. And some topics make the songs both intriguing and frightening (Raised by Wolves, SBS) for example. 

Personally, to see her go to school each day in a "I Want to Run/I Want to Hide" t-shirt gives me a good feeling.  And as much as I could trade "Streets" for another song this tour, I won't mind if she enjoys it this summer.

When seeing Muse and Arcade Fire (some other bands as well, but them esp) with some younger friends in their earlier to mid 20s, they would comment on certain things the groups did that was so much different and unique from the other artist's they've seen, and how amazing it was. I had to put an asterisk on those moments and advise "these guys learned that from U2". With both bands I've seen them multiple times live, and seen how they grew as performers by leaps and bounds, after touring with U2. Taking from U2, but eventually making it their own. Arcade Fire's most recent tour is really great. So much of it is from PopMart and ZooTV. These younger friends are starting to come around on U2 now.

Offline TongueInMyEar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Love it won't be long....
« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2017, 04:47:06 AM »

My top 5 are difficult to place, other than saying the top 2 are AB and My Bloody Valentine - Loveless.

Others in the top 5 are Radiohead - In Rainbows and The Bends, and Jesus and Mary Chain - Psychocandy.

Back to U2, I hope eventually they'll again get the credit they deserve, the way bands like Velvet Underground, Pink Floyd do now. Think they're almost damned by the fact they're still going.

Offline scrittoresabino

• Stateless
« Reply #70 on: December 12, 2017, 06:19:23 PM »

My top 5 are difficult to place, other than saying the top 2 are AB and My Bloody Valentine - Loveless.

Others in the top 5 are Radiohead - In Rainbows and The Bends, and Jesus and Mary Chain - Psychocandy.

Back to U2, I hope eventually they'll again get the credit they deserve, the way bands like Velvet Underground, Pink Floyd do now. Think they're almost damned by the fact they're still going.

The Bends holds up. I still love that album. Also, love much of Psychocandy, but it was Automatic that got me.