Author Topic: Is it possible for U2 to change perception of this upcoming album?  (Read 672 times)

Offline BalconyTV

• Numb
I was thinking about this yesterday. I think its fair to say that band have made bad missteps releasing Best Thing. These have been compounded by dodgy underwhelming videos and uninspiring art work even.

I think it must be the least exciting U2 lead single ever. By some distance. (Yes I include GOYB). I guess then I knew they were working with Eno and co. So you knew you might be getting something interesting.

Even if the band release a strong album, is it possible for my perception of it to be turned around? Is it possible for them to turn around the perception of an album that much? Can they release an album, and have people think... wow, its amazing. Forget that first song... I mean this really is amazing.. I don't think so. I think a lot of damage has been done with  this lead single and these various videos and releases. It all looks confused and more than a little unfocused. I hope they do turn it around, but it would be incredible achievement. If this was a football match, there are losing 3-0 in the first 10 mins. Must stop conceding goals! Hah.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 08:17:32 AM by BalconyTV »

Offline cabral255

• Stateless
Re: Is it possible for U2 to change perception of this upcoming album?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 08:18:11 AM »
First song is great in my humble opinion. They can't sound just like they did 30 years ago.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Offline Smee

• Numb
  • Im Eddie and im a Monkey
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 08:25:42 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
First song is great in my humble opinion. They can't sound just like they did 30 years ago.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

They dont have to sound like they did 30 years ago. But coming from the same creative space would be great, but sadly, they arent. Their creativity is somewhat diluted (to be expected when using the likes of Ryan Tedder)

Offline BalconyTV

• Numb
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 08:37:19 AM »
Whatever the lead single is... its not great. You could not music critically on any level say its great in IMO. You can say its a nice pop tune. You can say its catching. You can say it has some nice sentiment. But you couldn't say its out and out great. It was no great features. It might have some alright features, and one could be charitable to it... but great it is not.

But back to my point...

I don't want them to sound like 30 years ago. They don't need to change the world with an album either. And maybe who knows, overall the new album is solid, but I am talking about the overall damage these first steps have caused to how I will overall appreciate the album and perceive the album when I look back at it.

I was also thinking back to Songs of Innocence. Whats interesting is, they way I think of that album is not as good as the album actually is. Yes I am saying that album is actually better that how I think of it. I was wondering what that was... and I realized it was due to the launch, that lets face it... its awful album cover... and a rather bubble-gummy lead single. Not that I hate any of those aspects, but they have had the effect for me to look back on the album and think of it as kinda- meh. When infact the album is good (not great, but good. but not meh either).

Am I making any sense?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 08:41:40 AM by BalconyTV »

Offline JHook

• Numb
  • Your voice was all I heard.
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 09:02:25 AM »
Are you worried about your own perception of the new album, or about public perception? Because I don't think U2 is that concerned about you, as an individual. If you don't like it, then you don't like it. I mean—what are they supposed to do? Backflips?

I think a lot of the…discomfort…around here regarding current U2 really IS about the fact that they're not 30 years younger and taking the world by storm. I saw that happen, and it was amazing. But nobody, not even U2, can sustain that level of pure adrenaline over decades. Not only that, the world has changed considerably since then. In 1987, or 1992, you had radio stations and MTV. That's it. Popularity was still based on airplay. Record companies had power. Everything is fragmented now, and you will never see a rock band ruling the world again. If you're a U2 fan, you have to accept this and listen to the music they make without thinking about the past. If you decide you don't like their new music, so be it. But they seem to be enjoying themselves, and actually, The Best Thing is getting a lot more radio play than anything from SOI did.

Short answer: if you don't like it, you don't like it. You don't have to like it.

Offline BalconyTV

• Numb
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 09:11:10 AM »
No, thats not what I'm saying. Frankly I don't care what anyone else thinks. And the album might turn out to be ok.

However the lead single, and the various aspects of marketing associated affect your overall perception/ experience of something. Especially when you look back on something from heindsight. Again this has nothing to do with a desire for the band to be massively popular or be the band they were 30 years ago.

Again, when you think back to Songs of Innocence whats your feeling on it when you think about it. When I think about Songs of Innocence my feeling about it is worse than I actually think about it when I listen to it.

I am simply saying, this single is beyond wishy washy. Its a bad statement and feeling to be going into a new album with. And I'm not sure they or any band can turn around that feeling so much, that it can become a great album.

And yes, obviously U2 don't care about me. Thats got nothing to do with my point. Hah.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 09:12:51 AM by BalconyTV »

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2017, 12:52:19 PM »
As I have long said, these days I tend to find the gold in what the band dismisses as filler (while mostly disliking the songs the band seems to think are good [Boots, SFS, TBT]). So I am hoping that, in addition to The Blackout, I will really like several of the unpromoted tracks from SOE like I loved SLABT, TT, and TCB.

Fingers crossed.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2017, 12:58:12 PM »
I think a lot of the…discomfort…around here regarding current U2 really IS about the fact that they're not 30 years younger and taking the world by storm.

I think that's a swing and a miss.

I could easily find enough post-Pop material to create at least a couple of incredible U2 albums (TGBHF, Stateless, Being Born, Crystal Ballroom, The Blackout, etc. etc.). That material stands up for me alongside their best work. The difference between then and now is that there is way more shallow and sugary material now than there used to be, and to make matters worse, it's this material that the band seeks to be known by.

Offline Blueyedboy

• Running to Stand Still
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2017, 03:56:59 AM »
Unfortunately U2 boxed themselves into a corner when they chose to release accompanying albums, so don't hold out too much hope of a radical change of direction as it won't fit into that narrative or the E&I tour.

I could be wrong, from Bonos comments immediately after releasing SOI I would have guessed the songs were in the bank and ready to go, hindsight now tells me otherwise.

I'm guessing we'll get more of the same, it doesn't float my boat but I know my expectations for the band are unrealistic. It'll be the best album the current U2 could possibly release.

Offline Clarky

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2017, 04:55:16 AM »
I think a lot of the…discomfort…around here regarding current U2 really IS about the fact that they're not 30 years younger and taking the world by storm.

I think that's a swing and a miss.

I could easily find enough post-Pop material to create at least a couple of incredible U2 albums (TGBHF, Stateless, Being Born, Crystal Ballroom, The Blackout, etc. etc.). That material stands up for me alongside their best work. The difference between then and now is that there is way more shallow and sugary material now than there used to be, and to make matters worse, it's this material that the band seeks to be known by.

this

Except, I don't know if you could put together 2 incredible albums. Definitely one though. Define incredible.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 05:01:18 AM by Clarky »

Offline sulphur76

• Refugee
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2017, 07:05:29 AM »
I know there are a fair number of fans that like TBT and the other pop stuff from the past few albums, but from the boards there are a good chunk that do not, and we know it isn't succeeding in the charts. I fear in their attempt to try and stay relevant by going after the young crowd and pop radio, they are losing a good portion of their fan base, while not even succeeding in what seems to be their primary goal: radio success and relevancy.

Offline Moser

• Wanderer
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2017, 10:44:31 AM »
Is it possible for U2 to change perception of this upcoming album?

You mean YOUR perception?

Not likely. And I'm not sure why you're asking us, since this is about YOUR perception. How in the heck are we supposed to know?

Gosh, these threads are tiring. I know you have an opinion, but don't express it as fact. Please!

Even if the band release a strong album, is it possible for my perception of it to be turned around?

How is anybody to supposed to answer this?

« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 10:52:53 AM by Moser »

Offline u2dc

• Babyface
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2017, 11:12:31 AM »
I love the lead single! I can guarantee an incredible album.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2017, 12:18:56 PM »
Is it possible for U2 to change perception of this upcoming album?

You mean YOUR perception?

Not likely. And I'm not sure why you're asking us, since this is about YOUR perception. How in the heck are we supposed to know?

Gosh, these threads are tiring. I know you have an opinion, but don't express it as fact. Please!

Even if the band release a strong album, is it possible for my perception of it to be turned around?

How is anybody to supposed to answer this?

This is a forum, and the OP is asking an interesting question. If criticism of the band bothers you so much (which it clearly does if your recent comments are any indication), then maybe don't read any threads that don't heap unmixed praise on the band? Or, maybe find a forum where free speech is prohibited?

Because if it's an echo chamber you want, you'll thankfully not find it here.

Offline WhenIsSOE

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • aka The Ultra Beasts (Welcome back!)
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2017, 12:37:12 PM »
I was thinking about this yesterday. I think its fair to say that band have made bad missteps releasing Best Thing. These have been compounded by dodgy underwhelming videos and uninspiring art work even.

I think it must be the least exciting U2 lead single ever. By some distance. (Yes I include GOYB). I guess then I knew they were working with Eno and co. So you knew you might be getting something interesting.

Even if the band release a strong album, is it possible for my perception of it to be turned around? Is it possible for them to turn around the perception of an album that much? Can they release an album, and have people think... wow, its amazing. Forget that first song... I mean this really is amazing.. I don't think so. I think a lot of damage has been done with  this lead single and these various videos and releases. It all looks confused and more than a little unfocused. I hope they do turn it around, but it would be incredible achievement. If this was a football match, there are losing 3-0 in the first 10 mins. Must stop conceding goals! Hah.
Personally TBT made me even more excited for SOE than I already was, and now that we know the next single is Get Out Of Your Own Way, and that it's really good, this could be a smash hit!  ;D