Author Topic: Is it possible for U2 to change perception of this upcoming album?  (Read 671 times)

Offline NOLA Fly

• Staring at the Sun
  • Feel like trash, You make me feel clean...
Re: Is it possible for U2 to change perception of this upcoming album?
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2017, 01:19:58 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I was thinking about this yesterday. I think its fair to say that band have made bad missteps releasing Best Thing. These have been compounded by dodgy underwhelming videos and uninspiring art work even.

I think it must be the least exciting U2 lead single ever. By some distance. (Yes I include GOYB). I guess then I knew they were working with Eno and co. So you knew you might be getting something interesting.

Even if the band release a strong album, is it possible for my perception of it to be turned around? Is it possible for them to turn around the perception of an album that much? Can they release an album, and have people think... wow, its amazing. Forget that first song... I mean this really is amazing.. I don't think so. I think a lot of damage has been done with  this lead single and these various videos and releases. It all looks confused and more than a little unfocused. I hope they do turn it around, but it would be incredible achievement. If this was a football match, there are losing 3-0 in the first 10 mins. Must stop conceding goals! Hah.

I have no idea whether U2 can turn your perception around; only you can answer that one. All I can tell you is that my perception bears no resemblance to the one you expressed. YTBTAM has me looking forward to the album, not concerned about it.

Offline WhenIsSOE

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • aka The Ultra Beasts (Welcome back!)
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2017, 01:21:35 PM »
I was thinking about this yesterday. I think its fair to say that band have made bad missteps releasing Best Thing. These have been compounded by dodgy underwhelming videos and uninspiring art work even.

I think it must be the least exciting U2 lead single ever. By some distance. (Yes I include GOYB). I guess then I knew they were working with Eno and co. So you knew you might be getting something interesting.

Even if the band release a strong album, is it possible for my perception of it to be turned around? Is it possible for them to turn around the perception of an album that much? Can they release an album, and have people think... wow, its amazing. Forget that first song... I mean this really is amazing.. I don't think so. I think a lot of damage has been done with  this lead single and these various videos and releases. It all looks confused and more than a little unfocused. I hope they do turn it around, but it would be incredible achievement. If this was a football match, there are losing 3-0 in the first 10 mins. Must stop conceding goals! Hah.

I have no idea whether U2 can turn your perception around; only you can answer that one. All I can tell you is that my perception bears no resemblance to the one you expressed. YTBTAM has me looking forward to the album, not concerned about it.
Have you heard Little Things, Blackout, or Get Out Of your Own Way? They might be even better!
The point is my feelings are functionally identical to yours!

Offline NOLA Fly

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2017, 01:34:41 PM »

Have you heard Little Things, Blackout, or Get Out Of your Own Way? They might be even better!

I've heard TLTTGYA and The Blackout a few times each (I'm trying to not listen to too much to keep things fresh for release day.) I really like both of them. I gave a quick listen to the clip of GOOYOW, but couldn't make much of it out so I don't have an opinion as of now. I've listened to YTBTAM more than I intended due to both the release strategy with the multiple videos/remixes and also because it's just so damn catchy.

Offline WhenIsSOE

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2017, 01:35:12 PM »

I've heard TLTTGYA and The Blackout a few times each (I'm trying to not listen to too much to keep things fresh for release day.) I really like both of them. I gave a quick listen to the clip of GOOYOW, but couldn't make much of it out so I don't have an opinion as of now. I've listened to YTBTAM more than I intended due to both the release strategy with the multiple videos/remixes and also because it's just so damn catchy.
Can I have a working link to the clip?

Offline NOLA Fly

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2017, 01:38:32 PM »

It was the link over in the GOOYOW thread in this forum. Has it been taken down?

Offline WhenIsSOE

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2017, 01:40:38 PM »

It was the link over in the GOOYOW thread in this forum. Has it been taken down?
Which thread? On what board?

Offline NOLA Fly

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2017, 01:47:38 PM »

Which thread? On what board?

The one about the video shoot in news and rumors.

Offline WhenIsSOE

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2017, 01:54:01 PM »
First song is great in my humble opinion. They can't sound just like they did 30 years ago.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

They dont have to sound like they did 30 years ago. But coming from the same creative space would be great, but sadly, they arent. Their creativity is somewhat diluted (to be expected when using the likes of Ryan Tedder)
I don't need creativity, I just need good music! Heck, after 3 years of waiting I just need new music!  ;D

Offline cabral255

• Stateless
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2017, 01:58:17 PM »
Maybe people will appreciate their new music more someday when they are all done! Sometimes we don't appreciate what we have until it's gone.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Offline Moser

• Wanderer
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2017, 02:21:09 PM »
Is it possible for U2 to change perception of this upcoming album?

You mean YOUR perception?

Not likely. And I'm not sure why you're asking us, since this is about YOUR perception. How in the heck are we supposed to know?

Gosh, these threads are tiring. I know you have an opinion, but don't express it as fact. Please!

Even if the band release a strong album, is it possible for my perception of it to be turned around?

How is anybody to supposed to answer this?

This is a forum, and the OP is asking an interesting question. If criticism of the band bothers you so much (which it clearly does if your recent comments are any indication), then maybe don't read any threads that don't heap unmixed praise on the band? Or, maybe find a forum where free speech is prohibited?

Because if it's an echo chamber you want, you'll thankfully not find it here.

You need to read what is actually written. Where did I criticize the OP for not heaping unmixed praise on the band?

I criticized the OP for asking an impossible question -- a question you find very interesting, apparently. In that case, I'll ask very similar interesting questions.

Gee, I wonder U2 can do to make worse my perception of its album. I like the songs I've heard so far a lot. I wonder what it will take to change my perception? Perhaps a sh** album? I'm not sure. Guys, will that be enough?

How in the heck does anybody know? It's not very interesting at all. And get off your high horse about free speech. Free speech doesn't protect someone from anyone from telling him or her their question is not a good one. No, I think it's the other way around.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 02:39:42 PM by Moser »

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2017, 05:16:29 PM »
And get off your high horse about free speech. Free speech doesn't protect someone from anyone from telling him or her their question is not a good one. No, I think it's the other way around.

I'm not on a high horse, I am just tired of forum members getting yelled at and dismissed for "being negative."

Offline WhenIsSOE

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2017, 05:32:06 PM »
Guys, end this flamewar or singnomore might lock it!

Offline KenpoMatt

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • The first wealth is health.
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2017, 09:12:36 PM »
The one thing you we all have to give the band credit for is the ability of their catalogue to polarize us so much from time to time. Its quite impressive actually.

monopoly

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2017, 10:04:25 PM »
Cmon people, we all know how this goes. Rolling Stones will praise the album. Some music outlets will approve others will call it average. There will be 3 gems on the album, a few duds, and some that are just standard u2- nothing wrong with that. The people who didn't pay attention to u2 still won't. U2 will call the album up there with their best work- JT. They'll do 2-3 talk shows and announce the tour. Each single released will get considerable airtime for its first month out but then rapidly decrease.  By the time the tour hits the US next year, the mass public will have forgotten the album while all of us fans are excited to hear the new songs live.

Maybe some new fans will like the album. But not enough to attract millions into paying $70 a ticket to go see them live. This is going to be the standard u2 release. The only difference between now and SOI is the record sales will actually matter a lot more. And of course, they won't be crazy out of this world numbers because we live in a new age of streaming and pirated music. U2 shouldn't care about the record sales. The money comes from touring.