Author Topic: The Unforgettable Fire  (Read 148 times)

Offline Racingfan53

• Babyface
  • Gal 2:20
The Unforgettable Fire
« on: October 08, 2017, 02:09:35 PM »
First of all, I need to say that TUF is pure genius--by far the most extraordinary song I have ever heard.  And I love the lyrics.

The bridge is:
"And if the mountains should crumble
Or disappear into the sea
Not a tear, no not I."

Listening to Ben E King's "Stand By Me" the other night, I noticed that that song's second verse bears a remarkable resemblance to these lyrics:
"If the sky that we look upon
Should tumble and fall
And the mountains should crumble to the sea
I won't cry, I won't cry, no I won't shed a tear."

Is the reference intentional?  What do you all think?  I find an interesting resemblance between the two songs' themes, with TUF bearing a lot of very poetic, ethereal imagery, but clearing up during the verses, where Bono pleads for an unnamed addressee to stay.

Both verses seem to be inspired by Psalms 46:2--
"Therefore we will not fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea."

Miss San Diego

Re: The Unforgettable Fire
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 09:28:37 PM »
TUF really is amazing. I'm sure it's an intentional reference, since they've apparently played "Stand By Me" live now and then over the years, so they definitely know and love it. I'm looking at a Rattle and Hum outtake of it right now from after Bono jacked up his arm, so they had Bruce Springsteen come out and play his guitar for him, heh. It was also played over the PA at my show as we were leaving.