Author Topic: Looking for Baby Jesus under the Trash: Post-Pop U2 and Beyond  (Read 970 times)

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
Looking for Baby Jesus under the Trash: Post-Pop U2 and Beyond
« on: October 09, 2017, 01:07:54 PM »
Before I start, I'd like to point out that I am only speaking for myself here. While I suspect that other like-minded forum members may agree, I wouldn't presume to say anything on their behalf.

OK, with that out of the way, I would just like to object, for the record, to this idea that is constantly being thrown around here that what certain of us want is for U2 to "remake Achtung Baby" or "Go back in time and be the band they were 30 years ago." I am certainly not saying this, and I don't think anyone else is either. And frankly, it can get tiresome (not to mention insulting) to be constantly diagnosed and misrepresented.

Someone recently demanded I make a list of post-Pop material I like (presumably as a way to "prove" that I belong here, despite my having been an active member for eight years). While at the time I refused on principle, I would like now to set forth some evidence that my occasional criticism of U2 has nothing to do with being "stuck in the past" as many of us are constantly accused of being.

If U2 released an album or albums with any combination of these songs, I would be thrilled:

TGBHF
Stateless
Never Let Me Go
Electrical Storm
Summer Rain
Kite
New York
Native Son
Being Born
Soon
MOS
COL
Magnificent
Crystal Ballroom
EBW (live version)
SLABT
The Troubles
Reach Me Now
RBW
Cedarwood Road
The Blackout

There is other post-Pop material that I like, of course, but this is just a sampling intended to demonstrate that people who dismissively suggest that those of us who don't like TBT or GOOYOW are "out of touch," "living in the past," or are "constantly being negative" are wide of the mark.

I've said it before and I will say it again: U2 are really good at what they don't seem to care about, and are really bad at what they do seem to care about. It's not so much the existence of IGCIIDGCT, SFS, and YTBTAM that bothers me, it's that these are the songs by which the band seeks to promote themselves (while their more interesting material gets forgotten almost immediately).

Now whether other members echo these thoughts or not, I hope they will go a small way towards dispelling the false narratives that are constantly thrown in our faces about how horrible we all are. I love U2 and have since I was 10. I still love U2, and I love a LOT of their most recent material.

But I will not just fall in line and goosestep along with the crowd by heaping unmixed praise on every little thing the band releases. This is a forum, not an echo chamber.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 01:09:32 PM by The Exile »

Offline julez728

• Wanderer
Re: Looking for Baby Jesus under the Trash: Post-Pop U2 and Beyond
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 01:40:01 PM »
I think what people tend to forget is that people's taste in music differ and that it's no different among U2 fans.  We all like the same band, but there is such a large catalog of music that most people aren't going to like everything that the band puts out.   

I believe the basic premise is this: it's fine to agree to disagree.  There is no right or wrong opinion and people tend to forget this.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 03:14:41 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think what people tend to forget is that people's taste in music differ and that it's no different among U2 fans.  We all like the same band, but there is such a large catalog of music that most people aren't going to like everything that the band puts out.   

I believe the basic premise is this: it's fine to agree to disagree.  There is no right or wrong opinion and people tend to forget this.

Agreed. And what utterly clouds this idea is dismissing people's critical opinions as "negative." It's a total category error, like dismissing it as negative when someone says they don't like mushrooms.

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 04:27:48 PM »

Agreed. And what utterly clouds this idea is dismissing people's critical opinions as "negative." It's a total category error, like dismissing it as negative when someone says they don't like mushrooms.
It's entirely unethical to not like mushrooms.  ;D

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 05:08:36 PM »

You know what? Some people around here don't like mushrooms, deal with it! Or go find some other mushroom-friendly U2 forum....

;D

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 05:51:38 PM »
Exile, you did compile a nice list of U2 songs.  Seriously, I like those songs a lot and I'm glad you appreciate them too.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 05:53:49 PM »
Exile, you did compile a nice list of U2 songs.  Seriously, I like those songs a lot and I'm glad you appreciate them too.

I like them and more besides.

Offline WhenIsSOE

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • aka The Ultra Beasts (Welcome back!)
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2017, 05:55:11 PM »
Before I start, I'd like to point out that I am only speaking for myself here. While I suspect that other like-minded forum members may agree, I wouldn't presume to say anything on their behalf.

OK, with that out of the way, I would just like to object, for the record, to this idea that is constantly being thrown around here that what certain of us want is for U2 to "remake Achtung Baby" or "Go back in time and be the band they were 30 years ago." I am certainly not saying this, and I don't think anyone else is either. And frankly, it can get tiresome (not to mention insulting) to be constantly diagnosed and misrepresented.

Someone recently demanded I make a list of post-Pop material I like (presumably as a way to "prove" that I belong here, despite my having been an active member for eight years). While at the time I refused on principle, I would like now to set forth some evidence that my occasional criticism of U2 has nothing to do with being "stuck in the past" as many of us are constantly accused of being.

If U2 released an album or albums with any combination of these songs, I would be thrilled:

Beautiful Day
Walk On
TGBHF
Stateless
Electrical Storm
Kite
Vertigo
SYCMIOYO
City Of Blinding Lights
MOS
COL
Magnificent
Crystal Ballroom
The Miracle
Reach Me Now
RBW
Cedarwood Road
The Blackout
TBT
Little Things

There is other post-Pop material that I like, of course, but this is just a sampling intended to demonstrate that people who dismissively suggest that those of us who don't like GOOYOW are "out of touch," "living in the past," or are "constantly being negative" are wide of the mark.

I've said it before and I will say it again: U2 are really good at what they don't seem to care about, and are really bad at what they do seem to care about. It's not so much the existence of IGCIIDGCT, SFS, and YTBTAM that bothers me, it's that these are the songs by which the band seeks to promote themselves (while their more interesting material gets forgotten almost immediately).

Now whether other members echo these thoughts or not, I hope they will go a small way towards dispelling the false narratives that are constantly thrown in our faces about how horrible we all are. I love U2 and have since I was 10. I still love U2, and I love a LOT of their most recent material.

But I will not just fall in line and goosestep along with the crowd by heaping unmixed praise on every little thing the band releases. This is a forum, not an echo chamber.
FTFY.

Offline WhenIsSOE

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2017, 05:55:51 PM »

Pickled mushrooms, specifically. Pickled mushrooms are the best.  :P

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2017, 06:04:58 PM »

Beautiful Day
Walk On
TGBHF
Stateless
Electrical Storm
Kite
Vertigo
SYCMIOYO
City Of Blinding Lights
MOS
COL
Magnificent
Crystal Ballroom
The Miracle
Reach Me Now
RBW
Cedarwood Road
The Blackout
TBT
Little Things

There is other post-Pop material that I like, of course, but this is just a sampling intended to demonstrate that people who dismissively suggest that those of us who don't like GOOYOW are "out of touch," "living in the past," or are "constantly being negative" are wide of the mark.

FTFY.

Haha! I kinda dig TLT and look forward to a studio version, but I don't think anything can redeem TBT for me at this point. Sorry!

Offline WhenIsSOE

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2017, 06:07:53 PM »

Beautiful Day
Walk On
TGBHF
Stateless
Electrical Storm
Kite
Vertigo
SYCMIOYO
City Of Blinding Lights
MOS
COL
Magnificent
Crystal Ballroom
The Miracle
Reach Me Now
RBW
Cedarwood Road
The Blackout
TBT
Little Things

FTFY.

Haha! I kinda dig TLT and look forward to a studio version, but I don't think anything can redeem TBT for me at this point. Sorry!
Why?

Offline WhenIsSOE

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2017, 06:08:52 PM »

Beautiful Day
Walk On
TGBHF
Stateless
Electrical Storm
Kite
Vertigo
SYCMIOYO
City Of Blinding Lights
MOS
COL
Magnificent
Crystal Ballroom
The Miracle
Reach Me Now
RBW
Cedarwood Road
The Blackout
TBT
Little Things

FTFY.

I'm sorry. >:)

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2017, 11:55:40 AM »
Why?

It's not a knock on U2, it's a knock on vacuous, feel-good pop music. I think U2 does a great job creating beautiful soundscapes and textures (see TUF, Being Born, Exit, etc.), but they're a mediocre pop band (Crazy Tonight, SFS, EBW album version, etc.). TBT falls into that latter category for me.

I just wish U2 would value what they're good at rather than focusing all their attention on what they're not.

Offline WhenIsSOE

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2017, 11:58:20 AM »
Why?

It's not a knock on U2, it's a knock on vacuous, feel-good pop music. I think U2 does a great job creating beautiful soundscapes and textures (see TUF, Being Born, Exit, etc.), but they're a mediocre pop band (Crazy Tonight, SFS, EBW album version, etc.). TBT falls into that latter category for me.

I just wish U2 would value what they're good at rather than focusing all their attention on what they're not.
I like poppy feel-good music! I like pretty much anything that I am going to get on this new album!

Offline mattryan94

• Babyface
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2017, 01:24:49 PM »
Why?

This is Anecdotal, but the vast majority of pop-oriented people/other <25 year olds I've played the song for like it a lot. In my opinion the biggest issue may not be with the quality of the pop songs, but the fact that no one under a certain age cares to seek out new U2 music. There's already so much noise and so many artists inhabiting that space that a couple of guys in their mid 50s doesn't appeal right away. I have no strong opinion on what I'd like U2 do sonically, but at the very least they look like they're having fun? But I would be equally thrilled if they went experimental so long as Bono doesn't drop the N-Word again lol.

Also Reach Me Now is perhaps the most underrated U2 song of all time.