Author Topic: Looking for Baby Jesus under the Trash: Post-Pop U2 and Beyond  (Read 1460 times)

Offline u2dc

• Babyface
Re: Looking for Baby Jesus under the Trash: Post-Pop U2 and Beyond
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2017, 01:50:55 PM »
Wait has anyone heard GOOYOW? Or do we just have the title?

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2017, 01:52:36 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

There was a 30-second clip of the video shoot floating around.

Offline WhenIsSOE

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • aka The Ultra Beasts (Welcome back!)
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2017, 01:53:20 PM »

Offline the_chief

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2017, 01:54:10 PM »
I don't tend to think of it as detailed as that. For me, it's a case of whether I like the song or not. That goes for any artist I like

Of course, personally speaking, I'd love it to be 1992 and to live through Zoo TV and Achtung Baby. Then again, I'd love it to be the mid 70's and get to live through Rossi, Parfitt, Lancaster and Coghlan tearing venues up with their as loud and heavy as f**k rock n roll.

But alas, neither situation is going to arise and I'm happy to judge the music for what it is. If I like it, great. If I don't, then it's my loss.

For the record, lyrically I think The Little Things is as good as anything that he's ever written and I cannot get the chorus of The Blackout and Get Out Of Your Own Way out of my head so I suppose we'll see how the album is for people. I'm not going to judge Get Out Of Your Own Way until I hear the full song

Offline WhenIsSOE

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2017, 01:59:43 PM »
I don't tend to think of it as detailed as that. For me, it's a case of whether I like the song or not. That goes for any artist I like

Of course, personally speaking, I'd love it to be 1992 and to live through Zoo TV and Achtung Baby. Then again, I'd love it to be the mid 70's and get to live through Rossi, Parfitt, Lancaster and Coghlan tearing venues up with their as loud and heavy as f**k rock n roll.

But alas, neither situation is going to arise and I'm happy to judge the music for what it is. If I like it, great. If I don't, then it's my loss.

For the record, lyrically I think The Little Things is as good as anything that he's ever written and I cannot get the chorus of The Blackout and Get Out Of Your Own Way out of my head so I suppose we'll see how the album is for people. I'm not going to judge Get Out Of Your Own Way until I hear the full song
I can't wait for the single, and I REALLY CAN'T wait for the album!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2017, 01:59:57 PM »
I like pretty much anything that I am going to get on this new album!

Not to be an "age-ist" (ahem), but as one gets older his or her palate becomes more and more refined. It seems to me that just "liking pretty much anything" is a sign of youth and inexperience (not that that's bad, I would love to recapture some of my youthful enthusiasm, believe me!).

All that to say, please don't react too much to those of us who prefer this or that iteration of U2. It's just the result of exposure to the band over a long period of time. In fact, if someone is a long-time fan and has no preference between Miami, Twilight, and Cedars, I'd say he either isn't paying attention or has a woefully unformed palate.

Strong opinions are a good thing, is what I'm saying (whether they agree with mine or not).

Offline WhenIsSOE

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2017, 02:01:36 PM »

Not to be an "age-ist" (ahem), but as one gets older his or her palate becomes more and more refined. It seems to me that just "liking pretty much anything" is a sign of youth and inexperience (not that that's bad, I would love to recapture some of my youthful enthusiasm, believe me!).

All that to say, please don't react too much to those of us who prefer this or that iteration of U2. It's just the result of exposure to the band over a long period of time. In fact, if someone is a long-time fan and has no preference between Miami, Twilight, and Cedars, I'd say he either isn't paying attention or has a woefully unformed palate.

Strong opinions are a good thing, is what I'm saying (whether they agree with mine or not).
That's not ageist, it's just kind of insulting. I like U2, and I think that, judging by what I've heard, that I am really, really, going to like this album!

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2017, 02:52:18 PM »
Yeah, I can get behind this.  That list looks fairly close to something I might compile myself, with the exception of Summer Rain, which I really don't like, and some of the songs I simply haven't heard or bothered to look up.

Offline Rasmus

• Refugee
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2017, 03:05:08 PM »
I don't consider myself that old (I'm 34) but my taste in music is pretty much the same it was 20 years ago. I like quality rock music with heart. Music that means something and where the artist is trying to push themselves in some way. The problem with the new U2 is that its just plain boring pop music. Some of the songs are ok but they are just not exciting to me. And I can guarantee that if U2 had put out this material in 1996/97 when I first heard of them I would never have become a fan. Thats what it comes down to for me. I still enjoy the older albums of course but for me most material after POP (and to some degree ATYCLB) is just middle-of-the-road boring pop.

Miss San Diego

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2017, 03:20:29 PM »
That's not ageist, it's just kind of insulting. I like U2, and I think that, judging by what I've heard, that I am really, really, going to like this album!

It's really not true, either. I'm 43 and my musical tastes have only grown more broad over the years, and I have more enthusiasm about it than ever. I can't remember the last time I seriously cared about things like what genre something is or how popular or how old or new. If I like it, I like it. I regularly baffle people with my incredibly random iPod, lol. Can't wait for the album myself.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 03:48:20 PM by Miss San Diego »

Offline the_chief

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2017, 03:26:44 PM »

Sorry but, that is so wrong on so many levels. It's B.S. to be honest with you.

My musical taste has gotten broader and I've grown to appreciate all kinds of music through out my life as I've gotten older.
Maybe that's the result of me being a musician or something, I don't know but, I can honestly say, I've never come across anyone in my life where their musical taste has become "more and more refined"
Everyone I've grown up with have expanded their musical landscape and taste. It's more refined when you're a kid alright but, not as you grow up.

Maybe that's just you pal.

Offline ShankAsu

• Desert Rose
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2017, 06:20:11 PM »
I think i understand what Exile is saying.  And i don't think broadening tastes in music in general as you get older is the same as listening to the same band for 41 years and knowing what you now like and dislike about that one band.

Offline wik73

• Numb
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2017, 07:53:06 PM »
Iím 44 and I donít have time to listen to all the noise thatís out there. So, I would somewhat agree with Exile in that I have a more defined scope of what Iíll spend time listening to or getting acquainted with. U2ís music needs to be meaningful or unique or spiritual to get me to continue listening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spacejunk69

« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2017, 10:34:36 PM »

My musical taste has gotten broader and I've grown to appreciate all kinds of music through out my life as I've gotten older.
Maybe that's the result of me being a musician or something, I don't know but, I can honestly say, I've never come across anyone in my life where their musical taste has become "more and more refined"
Everyone I've grown up with have expanded their musical landscape and taste. It's more refined when you're a kid alright but, not as you grow up.

Wow. Exile, this certainly put you and reasoned and well thought out thread in its place!

Offline robgalloway

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2017, 11:47:37 PM »

+1

When I was a kid I would only really listen to U2 and Punk ... as I get older I listen to pretty much anything ... Nina Simone, Nick Cave, Taylor Swift, Hurts, Bob Dylan, Chemical Brothers

I find myself more accepting of new or different music than I would when I was younger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk