Author Topic: Bono receiving the Eucharist in Colombia  (Read 1105 times)

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
Bono receiving the Eucharist in Colombia
« on: October 09, 2017, 02:52:10 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Did anyone see this story about Bono in Colombia?  an tha sent me an email alerting me to it.  As someone who was brought up Catholic it interests me that Bono made this gesture.  Was it a “mistake” or an attempt to reach across the denominational divide?  I think he looks suitably modest and humble and so I personally am heartened that he chose to receive the Eucharist.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 02:53:17 PM by il_capo »

Offline 73October

• Numb
  • Joy is an act of defiance
Re: Bono receiving the Eucharist in Colombia
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 03:10:22 PM »
I think Bono was genuine and will receive wherever he can.  He doesn't appear to care about whichever denomination it happens to be so long as it is Christian.  Maybe the priest didn't know who Bono was anyway.

I have personally, (and rather bizarrely) received at a Catholic Mass in an Anglican building administered by an Anglican priest on one occasion (this says more about the priest who very soon after converted to Catholicism but ultimately had to practice in another building).  I had no problems with doing this (even if the local Bishop did).

I also know of people that went to Ireland and were able to receive in the Catholic church there even though they were not Catholic.  The priest turned a blind eye to their non-conformism.  This was a couple who were getting married and one of them was an Irish Catholic and the other an English Protestant.  The Pope probably doesn't know yet so that's fine.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 03:12:25 PM by 73October »

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 04:30:16 PM »
In my very humble opinion, I think any attempt at contact with God is a good thing.

Offline WhenIsSOE

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • I hope we will meet again!
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 04:32:04 PM »
Cool!

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 05:59:43 PM »
Wow.  As a Catholic, I can honestly say that constant contact with Bono's lyrics has kept me in the faith over the years.  This is quite paradoxical, since I know that Bono isn't even Catholic.  Anyway, in my book he's earned the right to receive the body and blood of Christ.

Offline mariamontreal

• Running to Stand Still
  • She moves in mysterious ways
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 06:22:39 PM »
Same here I am Catholic and with Bono's  strong faith its accepted.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 06:25:12 PM by mariamontreal »

Offline Luzita

• Wanderer
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 06:34:53 PM »
Bono has said that he considers himself neither Catholic nor Protestant, just Christian. I feel the same way. I was raised Catholic sort of, being Latina, though my family wasn’t very religious. But when I had a religious awakening in my twenties I learned stuff from various Protestants.  Attended prayer meetings and churches with Evangelicals both black and white. Went to a mainline Presbyterian church for many years. I agree with what Bono said in an interview, that it’s all really one church just broken in pieces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2017, 06:57:45 PM »
Even if he hasn't been a practicing catholic, i think its safe to say that he has grown up with Catholicism- in that one of his parents were catholic and that he grew up in Ireland where Catholicism is everywhere.

Offline julez728

• Wanderer
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 06:56:22 AM »
Is anyone bothered by the fact that someone had a camera in church and took the picture?  It's not really the place or time to take a picture, in my opinion.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 07:05:37 AM »
Even if he hasn't been a practicing catholic, i think its safe to say that he has grown up with Catholicism- in that one of his parents were catholic and that he grew up in Ireland where Catholicism is everywhere.

I remember hearing that Bono's mother was a Protestant and his father Catholic (with Bono taking after his mother).

Offline Yaro

• Stateless
  • Everything you know is wrong
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2017, 08:24:36 AM »
Is anyone bothered by the fact that someone had a camera in church and took the picture?  It's not really the place or time to take a picture, in my opinion.
There always is a fan and a cellphone..Bono must be one of the most recognizable faces ( person) in the world, no doubt..

Offline NOLA Fly

• Staring at the Sun
  • Feel like trash, You make me feel clean...
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2017, 08:27:06 AM »

I had the same thought.

Offline Yaro

• Stateless
  • Everything you know is wrong
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2017, 08:32:29 AM »
Wow.  As a Catholic, I can honestly say that constant contact with Bono's lyrics has kept me in the faith over the years.  This is quite paradoxical, since I know that Bono isn't even Catholic.  Anyway, in my book he's earned the right to receive the body and blood of Christ.
I totally  agree..although its clear he is a christian, Iris was a protestant mother- Bob Hewson was a catholic father..They agreed the first son (Bono's older brother) would go protestant and second child (Bono) would be raised as catholic..he most likely did receive the (catholic) Sacrament of Holy Communion as a kid..but naturally as a child he chose to attend services with his momma..

Offline Luzita

• Wanderer
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2017, 11:35:59 AM »
I totally  agree..although its clear he is a christian, Iris was a protestant mother- Bob Hewson was a catholic father..They agreed the first son (Bono's older brother) would go protestant and second child (Bono) would be raised as catholic..he most likely did receive the (catholic) Sacrament of Holy Communion as a kid..but naturally as a child he chose to attend services with his momma..

Interesting point. I also heard that. Wonder if Bono was baptized Catholic? I’m wondering because although I’m sure most Catholics would have no objection to Bono receiving the Eucharist strictly speaking non-Catholics aren’t supposed to. I think Bono would know that and I don’t think he would want to be disrespectful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mattryan94

• Babyface
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2017, 01:32:00 PM »

Did anyone see this story about Bono in Colombia?  an tha sent me an email alerting me to it.  As someone who was brought up Catholic it interests me that Bono made this gesture.  Was it a “mistake” or an attempt to reach across the denominational divide?  I think he looks suitably modest and humble and so I personally am heartened that he chose to receive the Eucharist.

I missed the boat on this I assume, but any disclosable (not a word) reason to an tha's absence? Glad they're alive bc I was worried for a bit.