Author Topic: Bono receiving the Eucharist in Colombia  (Read 1087 times)

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Staring at the Sun
Re: Bono receiving the Eucharist in Colombia
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2017, 06:08:05 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Very happy that Bono received holy communion!!!

He was a baptized catholic who received the sacraments as a child. He is and always welcome in the Catholic Church!!!

That being said I agree that there should not have been a picture taken if it. This was actually a big deal on the Catholic channel yesterday on Gus lloyds show
I didn't know Bono was baptized Catholic or received sacraments.  How did you know this?

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2017, 12:17:10 AM »
I got detention in primary school for taking the Eucharist.

I'm not baptised.

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2017, 06:51:59 AM »
*Lifelong Catholic here (and usually doing a quite sh**ty job of it)

In 2017, it really depends on the priest.  At one of my sisters churches, the priest is adamant that non-Catholics DO NOT receive communion -- it's a big deal at weddings there, to make sure everyone's sorted out.  However, at my church, my priest has no problem at all if non-Catholics receive, as long as they're aware what they're doing.  That being said, the Vatican would frown upon non-Catholics receiving communion.  Even if you're a Catholic and "playing by the rules," you should probably have confession before receiving communion.  But I think I've had confession twice in the past ten years, so I'm a rebel like that.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • http://www.u2gigs.com/myshows/31519
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2017, 07:35:53 AM »

In 2017, it really depends on the priest.  At one of my sisters churches, the priest is adamant that non-Catholics DO NOT receive communion -- it's a big deal at weddings there, to make sure everyone's sorted out.  However, at my church, my priest has no problem at all if non-Catholics receive, as long as they're aware what they're doing.  That being said, the Vatican would frown upon non-Catholics receiving communion.  Even if you're a Catholic and "playing by the rules," you should probably have confession before receiving communion.  But I think I've had confession twice in the past ten years, so I'm a rebel like that.

If they had practical expectations we wouldn't fail so often. It's not your fault there are unrealistic demands.

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2017, 08:08:51 AM »
Bono was raised with a protestant mother and catholic father. He has attended midnight mass in Ireland in catholic churches on many occasions.

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2017, 10:23:13 AM »

I was baptized in a Christian faith that wasn't catholic and at my friend's catholic wedding this year that i was in the party, i asked the priest is i could take communion and he said it was just fine.  didn't really think this was an issue.

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2017, 02:23:33 PM »
The priests around here are very conservative and make sure that everyone is Catholic before receiving.  I think it creates awkward and embarrassing scenarios, which to me isn't in the spirit of Christ.
 "Love, the higher law."

Offline Maximus

• Desert Rose
  • Some days you wake up in the army
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2017, 03:18:28 PM »
Very happy that Bono received holy communion!!!

He was a baptized catholic who received the sacraments as a child. He is and always welcome in the Catholic Church!!!

That being said I agree that there should not have been a picture taken if it. This was actually a big deal on the Catholic channel yesterday on Gus lloyds show
I didn't know Bono was baptized Catholic or received sacraments.  How did you know this?

I read that his big brother was raised protestant and he was raised catholic; his mother was protestant and father catholic, they agreed Bono would receive the sacraments

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2017, 11:37:13 PM »
I'm sure it's been mentioned earlier in the thread, but there is ex-communication in the church where those who have done something wrong in the eyes of the church can be denied communion. Usually this is a public thing (has happened to some politicians) and people would know if Bono were ex-communicated.

As far as who's allowed to have communion, it is supposed to be those who received first communion in the Catholic church. You're not supposed to take communion if, for instance, you were only baptized in the church or are of another denomination. I don't know if Bono ever received first communion, but if he did--even if he's not a practicing Catholic--he's totally fine taking communion unless he has been ex-communicated.

I think it's cool that Bono still goes to church and seems to be a pretty open-minded individual in observing other customs/understanding other cultures.

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2017, 06:54:07 AM »
I got detention in primary school for taking the Eucharist.

I'm not baptised.
  That's just plain sad, Brisco.  As a Catholic, I want you to know I'm sorry for that experience you had to go through and I don't believe it's a reflection of the Church as a whole, or at least of its essence.  Don't give up!  You are welcome at mass and can certainly go through RCIA if you have a desire to be in communion with the Church.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2017, 08:17:00 AM »
Haha thanks. Nah, not high on my list.

I was 10. And knew exactly what I was doing so I was more in the wrong than not...!

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2017, 05:28:39 PM »
Well, like I said, I think "love is the higher law".  So even though I'm a Catholic and understand that we believe in the Eucharist differently than other Christians, I'm not so sure you were in the wrong.  In fact, I bet Jesus would be on your side.

Offline WhenIsSOE

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • I hope we will meet again!
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2017, 05:34:44 PM »
What about Sleep Like A Baby Tonight?