Author Topic: SOE Song Titles  (Read 1373 times)

Offline Panama Jack

• Wanderer
Re: SOE Song Titles
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2017, 11:55:38 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
"There is a light"??? is that part two of Song for Someone???

I thought Bono already said that "You're the Best Thing About Me" is the Part II of "Song for Someone," since they were both written to, for, and about Ali, with Song for Someone being about the beginning of their relationship and Best Thing being about where they are now.

Offline WhenIsSOE

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • aka The Ultra Beasts (Welcome back!)
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2017, 12:01:24 PM »

I thought Bono already said that "You're the Best Thing About Me" is the Part II of "Song for Someone," since they were both written to, for, and about Ali, with Song for Someone being about the beginning of their relationship and Best Thing being about where they are now.
Huh, I never thought of that. Wouldn't it be interesting if every song on SOE ends up being sort of a parrallel to a song from SOI?

Offline acrobat62

• Elevated
  • I'm hatching some plot, scheming some scheme
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2017, 12:10:46 PM »

Huh, I never thought of that. Wouldn't it be interesting if every song on SOE ends up being sort of a parrallel to a song from SOI?

Interesting yes, but I thing it would be very restrictive as a song writer to have to write something with such specific intent in mind.  This, coming from someone that can't even write a decent sentence.   ::)

Offline WhenIsSOE

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2017, 12:13:27 PM »

Interesting yes, but I thing it would be very restrictive as a song writer to have to write something with such specific intent in mind.  This, coming from someone that can't even write a decent sentence.   ::)
Well, with a name like "Songs Of Experience" it has to be a noticeable parallel to SOI in some way or another!

Offline robgalloway

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2017, 12:23:17 PM »

Sometimes you just kind of write 3 or 4 songs that work together ... I once wrote 3 songs which link up nicely. You don't really notice that it's happening. It's more after the fact. Or someone else points it out to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline WhenIsSOE

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2017, 12:27:10 PM »

Sometimes you just kind of write 3 or 4 songs that work together ... I once wrote 3 songs which link up nicely. You don't really notice that it's happening. It's more after the fact. Or someone else points it out to you.

We found Bono!

Offline robgalloway

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2017, 12:29:06 PM »

We found Bono!

Haha ... I'm no Bono but I love songwriting

Offline robgalloway

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2017, 12:37:54 PM »
Here's one of mine (Bare in mind I don't have U2's studio or video budget)

monopoly

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2017, 02:02:11 PM »

Well, with a name like "Songs Of Experience" it has to be a noticeable parallel to SOI in some way or another!

He did mention a song is SFS part 2. But I don't think it's best thing. He certainly never confirmed it's best thing

Offline fresno dave

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • "You wanted violins.." about.me/davewainscott
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2017, 01:12:18 PM »
So many intriguing questions here.
Anyone have thoughts on  whatsup with

"The Landlady"?

"Mist and Snow" ?(I know it's a Yeats poem, the waterboys once set it to music, and U2 seemed to have performed it once in 1989.  Matt mentions Bono singing it once

"four chords"? (I read the links and get the idea.  The names of composers are interesting

"Book of Your Heart " (seems a major find)?
--
On "Blackout," I've been thinking for some time they will banish it to a hidden track on deluxe version (like Invisible on SOI)

Rob:
Thanks for posting.  Great video, too.  Once these titles are locked  on the website, any chances titles can change etc?

:

Offline WhenIsSOE

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2017, 01:13:30 PM »

"The Landlady"?

"Mist and Snow" ?(I know it's a Yeats poem, the waterboys once set it to music, and U2 seemed to have performed it once in 1989.  Matt mentions Bono singing it once

"four chords"? (I read the links and get the idea.  The names of composers are interesting

--
On "Blackout," I've been thinking for some time they will banish it to a hidden track on deluxe version (like Invisible on SOI)

Rob:
Thanks for posting.  Great video, too.  Once these titles are locked  on the website, any chances titles can change etc?

:
I don't think they would do that to Blackout, they teased it the day before the video release, so I don't see why they would abandon it.

Offline robgalloway

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2017, 01:20:16 PM »

"The Landlady"?

--

Rob:

:

The titles pretty much need to stay the same . It is possible to change or create a new submission in the database but it's unlikely as the album will be heading into production now ready for the stores on 1/12.

The titles have also been assigned various distribution codes too which wouldn't normally happen unless being officially released.

I'd say they're as good as confirmed.

As '4 chords' is just the royalties they collect for a parody video. 'Mist and Snow' seems odd maybe Bono read the poem somewhere and claimed rights for it. But I don't think its album related.

Offline WhenIsSOE

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2017, 01:24:31 PM »

"The Landlady"?

--

Rob:

:

The titles pretty much need to stay the same . It is possible to change or create a new submission in the database but it's unlikely as the album will be heading into production now ready for the stores on 1/12.

The titles have also been assigned various distribution codes too which wouldn't normally happen unless being officially released.

As '4 chords' is just the royalties they collect for a parody video. 'Mist and Snow' seems odd maybe Bono read the poem somewhere and claimed rights for it. But I don't think its album related.

No. The Blackout has to be on SOE.... RIGHT?!? PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know if we could listen to SOE without it.  >:( :'(

Offline robgalloway

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2017, 01:31:13 PM »

"The Landlady"?

--

Rob:

:

No. The Blackout has to be on SOE.... RIGHT?!? PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know if we could listen to SOE without it.  >:( :'(

I think it will be part of the album package but like 'Invisible' was. U2 have often released a track that isn't part of the album proper.

Invisible
I'd say Ground beneath your feet (they made some TV appearances in U.K. promoting that track just before ATYCLB ... yes I'm aware of MDH OST)
Holy Joe before POP
Window in the Skies just before NLOTH
Electrical Storm before HTDAAB
Night and Day before AB
Womanfish before JT
A Celebration

It's like they're letting everyone know they're about the return.

Offline Messenger

• Running to Stand Still
  • The universe is beautiful but cold.
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2017, 03:05:40 PM »

"The Landlady"?

--

Rob:

:

I had searched for that when you first posted the lists, but this is what I found:

Bono's almost mythical version of "Mad as the Mist and Snow", recorded at a Yeats festival in 1989 (the 50th anniversary of the poet's death) but since heard only by a chosen few, proved beyond reach.

Also some more background info:
April 30, 1989