Author Topic: Which songs carry a memory connected to a significant location for you?  (Read 159 times)

Offline karloz

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Would love to hear some of your favorite memories connected to a song (with specific location if possible). Mine is listening to Nights by Frank Ocean while doing shrooms during New Years in Charlois, Rotterdam in the Netherlands. Things got weird. What is yours?

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
I got broad-sided once when Lola was on...after the cars stopped spinning, I sang one more "L.O.L.A., Lola" before I got out to see the damage!

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • welp, looks like I'm not making it to 10k posts
Filter's "Take A Picture" is the only one that comes to mind. I went to Ireland in '99 right at the time where it was ascending the charts pretty much everywhere. I heard that song pretty much everywhere I went over the course of that week, and I liked it more and more with each new play.

That trip was magic, and that song still stirs a bit of it in me to this day.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • Nashville, Montreal 1 & 2
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Filter's "Take A Picture" is the only one that comes to mind. I went to Ireland in '99 right at the time where it was ascending the charts pretty much everywhere. I heard that song pretty much everywhere I went over the course of that week, and I liked it more and more with each new play.

I have had the same experience with MGMTs kids and the city of Montreal.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Staring at the Sun
Simon and Garfunkel's "Greatest Hits" reminds me of my college dorm, first year away at school, the excitement and the trepidation of being out on your own for the first time.  Jackson Browne's "Hold Out" reminds me of my second year in a different dorm, where I had a lot more fun and was also introduced to a band called U2 through "October".

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
I got broad-sided once when Lola was on...after the cars stopped spinning, I sang one more "L.O.L.A., Lola" before I got out to see the damage!

I've been in a similar boat twice now!  ;D

When the hood flew up on my truck blocking the windshield. - Listen to What the Man Said by Wings.

When I got rear-ended at a stop light and pushed into the van in front of me. - Lonely Town by Brandon Flowers.

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!

I've been in a similar boat twice now!  ;D

When the hood flew up on my truck blocking the windshield. - Listen to What the Man Said by Wings.

When I got rear-ended at a stop light and pushed into the van in front of me. - Lonely Town by Brandon Flowers.
Isn't it an odd way to remember a wreck? too funny...

Offline NOLA Fly

• Staring at the Sun
  • Feel like trash, You make me feel clean...

I had a similar experience. My wife and I took a make-up trip to Ireland in 2009 (We were supposed to go for our honeymoon, but Katrina wrecked that plan). It was a package tour across the republic because I'm not driving in a foreign country on the left side of the road--not how I plan on dying. It turned out to be a small group of some really great people and we had a great time. Anyway, on the trip back to Dublin on the last day "Don't Be Sad" by Whiskeytown popped in my head, which was odd because I had only recently bought Pneumonia and had heard the song maybe twice and didn't think anything about it. But it must have lodged somewhere in my subconscious. I pulled it up on my iPod and listened to it on repeat on the long drive from the country to the city. It was one of those cases of a song you hadn't really noticed before coming to life and capturing a moment: in this case, that bittersweet feeling of a great thing coming to an end. It still hits me in the gut every time I hear it.

And given that we've reached the end of the road in this little community, it seems appropriate again: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Spaderholic

• Party Girl/Boy
Whenever Wherever by Shakira reminds me of the first time I ever visited Dublin, in 2002! I remember the song was being played everywhere and, as I visited different sights around the city I kept seeing posters of Shakira's (then) new album up everywhere! I seemed to be haunted by her on that trip, I couldn't escape her, lol! Then again whenever I hear that song these days it does immediately transport me back to Dublin, with lots of fond memories of that wonderful city! I've visited Dublin several times since and love it.

Kylie's Let's Get To It album reminds me of travelling up the Antrim Coast in Northern Ireland with my cousin, up to the stunning Giant's Causeway in early 1992. We had it playing the whole way there and back, practically! I also remember buying Kylie's single Finer Feelings (from that album) on CD single from a HMV store in Belfast. Still a big Kylie fan today.

I have some songs that remind me of sad times, for different reasons I won't bore you all with but Careless Whisper and The Night Has A Thousand Eyes are two of those songs.

Uno by Muse reminds me of when my mother and I went on repeated visits to Exeter in 1999 with the intention of moving house there, but in the end we decided to move to Cardiff! But whenever I think of Exeter these days I think of that Muse song. As well as hearing the song (and remembering it from the Muse gig I'd been to earlier that year) I kept seeing posters for the single up around Exeter. Still one of my favourite Muse songs to this day.

Whenever I listen to U2's Desire I think of being at my friend Stefanie's house in Cornwall in 1988 and the two of us jumping around her room like a lunatic to the song, which she'd just bought on single! We just went crazy to that song, we loved it so much. If the neighbours had seen us dancing like maniacs they'd have thought we'd totally lost it, lol! :)

Tragedy by The Bee Gees reminds me of Naples, Italy, where I went to stay with my relatives for a few weeks in 1979. I remember my cousins and I singing it a lot.

Mamma Mia by Abba reminds me of travelling up to London with my mother in the 70's by coach (from Cornwall) to see my dad, who was working at the Ideal Home Exhibtion for a month (which he did every year for many years). I remember the song playing on the radio we were listening to travelling up there and I was such a huge Abba fan at the time. The song particularly reminds me of a couple of weeks after our trip, when mum and I were back home and learning that an IRA bomb had gone off at the exhibition and we were so worried that my dad might have been hurt or worse! Thankfully he wasn't close to the part of Earls Court he was working in and was fine, although shaken up by what happened! Scary times!

I also remember another trip up to see dad at the exhibition around 1979 or 1980, which reminds me of the Sham 69 song Hersham Boys, which I remember buying during my visit to London with my saved up pocket money! Or rather I think it was the album featuring that song that I bought, on cassette, but it's that main song in particular that reminds me of that trip! :)

I'm sure there's a dozen other songs I could mention but I guess this is enough, lol! :)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 05:10:09 PM by Spaderholic »

Offline Pride

• Numb
  • North Dakota is best Dakota
Re: Which songs carry a memory connected to a significant location for you?
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2017, 11:32:28 AM »
The Rock by The Who reminds me of Lake Cenaiko in Minnesota, by Coon Rapids Dam on the Mississippi River.

Offline SwimmingSorrows

• Refugee
  • Some folks are bound for glory, I was Born to Hang
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2017, 04:35:56 PM »

I got sideswiped to Led Zeppelin's "Kashmir" once.  The memorable part, though, was getting the car back weeks later after it had been fixed and turning the stereo on to hear the next track on Mothership, "Nobody's Fault But Mine" playing. . . .  Had to laugh at that.

Offline miracle_al

• Babyface
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2017, 12:48:41 PM »
"Father Figure" by George Michael reminds me of a specific date I went on as a teenager.