Author Topic: Initial Thoughts on SOE?  (Read 9491 times)

Offline achtung child

• Headache in a Suitcase
Re: Initial Thoughts on SOE?
« Reply #120 on: December 06, 2017, 10:20:22 AM »
I agree with the sentiment it's the best of the post 00's material.  I pin it on the fact the album has more of a direct intent.  SOI was great, but as some have noted, the themes were so specific it lacked a universal connection.  Don't get me started on NLOTH, an embarrassment of failures on all counts.  It's much more fun than Bomb, which is the best fact it is more a relative to ATYCLB.  It has the same playful vibe that doesn't compromise the darker bites.  There is a marked restraint that allows the music to breathe.

Aside from that, I've come to the conclusion I HATE Bono as a lyricist. The band itself delivers, and always has, great tunes - but they're often derailed by Bono's ridiculous lyrics.  But as they've stated many times, they're a live band.  The performance always delivers where Bono falls flat (i.e. Elevation, countless others). 

As far as production, I do wish Edge was mixed in a bit louder, but I think that was deliberate.  Songs like Get Out don't quite take off as much as I'd like because Edge is oddly muted.  This is essentially BD stripped down, which is fine - it works.  But I want it to blast, not simmer. 

I do think if it were not for the release debacle, SOI would have been better received.  If they employed a similar guerilla promo strategy, as they are now, I think the tide of opinion would be even stronger on this one.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 10:22:27 AM by achtung child »

Offline SUMNER78

• Stateless
« Reply #121 on: December 06, 2017, 11:08:55 AM »
3.5/5

Offline Tortuga

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #122 on: December 06, 2017, 12:35:20 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Listen to the audience react to the sweeping guitar near the end.

That sounded like an obvious turning on of the "applause" sign coupled with turning the audience mics up in the mix.  No way that was pure spontaneous unaided reaction to the guitar.

Offline Nanda360

• Refugee
  • slow down child let me untie your lace
« Reply #123 on: December 06, 2017, 01:57:46 PM »
I like it so much. Maybe someday I will love it. The lyrics mean much more than what I can get now, it will take a few years ahead until I can make my full “internal” review. So far it is one of my favorites, with consistency taken very seriously. Full of groove, zouk guitar, in-depth and superficial thoughts, words prophesied by Kendrick Lamar, high frequency of Edge’s vocals. Well, the new old U2’s back.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

Offline durk

• Wanderer
« Reply #124 on: December 06, 2017, 02:34:28 PM »
i really like this album.
more than SOI - i can picture myself playing most of these songs a year from now.
not a great album- but solidly good imo.
btw i'm glad to see this forum back.

Offline durk

• Wanderer
« Reply #125 on: December 06, 2017, 02:46:45 PM »
oh...and Red Flag Day is one of my favorite U2 songs in YEARS.
and i cannot get Love is Bigger out of my head.

Offline miracle_al

• Stateless
« Reply #126 on: December 06, 2017, 02:53:23 PM »
oh...and Red Flag Day is one of my favorite U2 songs in YEARS.
and i cannot get Love is Bigger out of my head.

^ this.

Offline SwimmingSorrows

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Some folks are bound for glory, I was Born to Hang
« Reply #127 on: December 06, 2017, 05:08:03 PM »
Lady Gaga does backing vocals for Summer of Love, and I read some posts on a Lady Gaga forum to see what they thought and have found that they really like the song despite her not being featured prominently.

Couple quotes:

"Say what you want about it, but the song is pretty cool."

"This song is enchanting I just deeply wish you could hear her more."

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #128 on: December 06, 2017, 05:24:27 PM »
I agree that Little Things, while not my favourite track on the album, is probably the one song that will stand the test of time and be the 'classic' that most people point to. I'm happy about that.

Offline siddavis

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #129 on: December 06, 2017, 05:45:50 PM »
Oh and Bono's vocals overall are better than they've been for a while. More singing in lower registers I think, which suits him.
Bingo. This for me has been a real problem on the last couple of albums. I’ve been hoping for the lower registers ala WOWY for a while.

Offline scrittoresabino

• Refugee
« Reply #130 on: December 06, 2017, 06:57:28 PM »
the change to the "Sometimes..." section gives me tingles.
^^^THIS. It is one of THE moments on the album.

Aside from the build, Bono's singing here, and the classic (staccato?) Edge guitar, another thing that makes this work so well is space. This song allowed to breathe more than others. Right before that "Sometimes" is a nice use a space. Many people have noted that their least favorite thing on the album is the lyrics (I love them, even the most hated, I think serves the song in many ways... Chace ;P). My biggest complaint on this album, is that there are many songs that could use a bit more space in certain moments.

Offline sierrra

• Wanderer
  • Throw a rock in the air, you hit someone quilty.
« Reply #131 on: December 07, 2017, 03:53:21 AM »
Love the album, but will they ever make a next album i hope they will skip the ohoho and ahaha parts in their songs.

Offline Albono

• Child of Grace
« Reply #132 on: December 07, 2017, 05:20:47 AM »
"The Little Things..." is fantastic! I can't stop listening to it!
Vino U2!

Offline sierrra

• Wanderer
  • Throw a rock in the air, you hit someone quilty.
« Reply #133 on: December 07, 2017, 05:35:04 AM »
"The Little Things..." is fantastic! I can't stop listening to it!
Vino U2!

I love that song to, only for me it feels somewhat out of place on the album. I cant explain why. Maybe the mood of the song is different than the rest of the album.

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #134 on: December 07, 2017, 08:22:06 AM »
I think it’s pretty good, however I’m not a very reliable witness when it comes to initial reactions to new U2 albums.  It takes me a couple months of living with them to see what sticks and what doesn’t.

The songs I’ve habitually found myself skipping have been “Landlady,” and “13.”  I don’t mind those songs, and maybe they’ll grow on me.  I’ve also been skipping “YTBTAM” and “GOOYOW” – but I’m assuming it’s because I’ve been listening to those songs too much for the past few months. 

The highlight for me is “Love is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way.”  I’m fascinated by the reactions to this song.  People’s temperatures to it run either hot or cold.  Personally, it elicits something in me only the best songs do.  I’m very thankful for that one.  My next tier would be “American Soul,” “Summer of Love,” “Red Flag Day,” “The Showman,” and “The Blackout.”   And don’t get me wrong – I also enjoy all of the other songs that I haven’t mentioned in this post – it’s just that I’m still wrapping my head around them.  “Lights of Home,” for example, seems a bit all over the place, and I’m not 100% certain that it works.  That being said, the sound U2 makes in the second verse of that song is un-freaking-believable and enough reason for that tune to exist in any form. 

As of today, this album could have that magic about it that keeps drawing me in, just like all the best U2 records do.  Or, there may be something a little bit off about it that makes me flake out, just like I did with SOI.  It’s still too early to tell.  My initial reaction after a week is that it’s much more substantive and interesting to me than SOI ever was.   It’s probably best to wait half a year or so to see where it sorta ends up in my U2antheon and just enjoy it for what it is for today – a very good U2 album that I’m happy with.