Author Topic: Initial Thoughts on SOE?  (Read 9584 times)

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
Re: Initial Thoughts on SOE?
« Reply #90 on: December 03, 2017, 03:22:21 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Easily the best material since Pop. Red Flag Day could end up in my top 10 U2 songs ever. Lights of Home, The Little Things and Summer of Love are easily better than anything on SoI. Can see The Blackout being a stomping opener on the tour. And Adam Clayton is on absolute fire on this album. Brilliant stuff, I'm absolutely delighted with the finished product, I was a bit skeptical after hearing American Soul and was honestly fearing the worst but thankfully the album is a classic.
Larry is also on fire on this album.  In fact, I think the rhythm section has really enhanced the sound - to the point that it becomes their best since Pop and better than Unforgettable Fire. 

Offline NateV

• Babyface
« Reply #91 on: December 03, 2017, 03:40:17 PM »
The Book of Your Heart reminds me so much of 90's era b-sides. I can't pin-point which songs exactly (some other more knowledgeable U2 fans will know) but it's so similar in feel. Really nice.

I was thinking that as well. It reminds me of Oh Berlin.

olimar

« Reply #92 on: December 03, 2017, 03:51:32 PM »
Easily the best material since Pop. Red Flag Day could end up in my top 10 U2 songs ever. Lights of Home, The Little Things and Summer of Love are easily better than anything on SoI. Can see The Blackout being a stomping opener on the tour. And Adam Clayton is on absolute fire on this album. Brilliant stuff, I'm absolutely delighted with the finished product, I was a bit skeptical after hearing American Soul and was honestly fearing the worst but thankfully the album is a classic.
Larry is also on fire on this album.  In fact, I think the rhythm section has really enhanced the sound - to the point that it becomes their best since Pop and better than Unforgettable Fire. 

With repeated listens, the rhythm sections is increasingly standout and varied.
Also, I think Ive realised why I like the understated feel of much of it and its a surprise to realise that its because the guitars are pushed back a bit.

Offline redrunningred

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Planet Earth Is Blue
« Reply #93 on: December 03, 2017, 04:24:21 PM »

With repeated listens, the rhythm sections is increasingly standout and varied.
Also, I think Ive realised why I like the understated feel of much of it and its a surprise to realise that its because the guitars are pushed back a bit.
That's one of the main improvements I feel over SOI.  The production of SOI really smothered the rhythm section to the point where they just sounded like really good session players.  SOE brought them out front and center more often.

Offline fresno dave

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • "You wanted violins.." about.me/davewainscott
« Reply #94 on: December 03, 2017, 10:00:24 PM »

According to U2's twitter: Listen to our new album #SongsOfExperience and watch exclusive mini-documentaries only on @spotify now #RockThis #ThisIsU2 You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Here's the "Rock This" mini-doc:

Offline jdoyle

• Babyface
« Reply #95 on: December 03, 2017, 11:00:48 PM »
I was ready to totally dismiss this album based on the four or five songs I heard before it was released. Of those the only one I sortof liked was GOOYOW, even the end of that with the spoken word grates on my brain. However although this is a disjointed affair with all the hallmarks of too many producers and way too long in the making, I keep returning to it. I am surprised at the quality of the songs and they are not the ones we heard prior to release. Red Flag Day is great and I love the quieter moments on this album. TLTTGYA is way better here than the insipid live version they were playing. The Showman reminds me of Boomtown Rats. I like it. Also like Landlady. Despite it being an incoherent collection of songs there are enough hints that there's still potental for greatness in U2. I'm struggling to look on this as a whole album. It seems more like a greatest hits of songs they have written over the last 3 years. I am wondering if a rejigged track listing might make it a better listen. I think they should have done the old fashioned approach and got all the singles out of the way at the start of the album, then follow with the rock songs and then create a sort of side B with all the more atmospheric songs one after the other. I might come back with a suggested alternative listing. For now I am still listening and mining some good stuff out of this album. First album from U2 in a long long time that I have done that with. PS: lose all the crappy disco remixes. Absolutely hate them. Just new songs and new bonus tracks please.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 11:03:10 PM by jdoyle »

Offline GoldenStateGirl

• Stateless
  • As the moon spins around, I need your love
« Reply #96 on: December 03, 2017, 11:37:13 PM »
LOL I *live* for those “crappy disco remixes”.  It takes me back to the era of 12 inch remixes. It also feels so Euro for a rock act to put out a dance remix.

Offline NateV

• Babyface
« Reply #97 on: December 03, 2017, 11:58:22 PM »
The songs on SOE are so much better than anything U2 have put out since AB in my opinion. The songs are catchier and more melodic than on previous albums since AB. I couldn't help but notice just a few shows into the JT 2017 Tour that Bono seemed to have abandon his gentle, dry, and off key talk singing style in favor of a more powerful one to fit those JT songs. In doing so, I feel that Bono kind of rediscovered his real voice again. Despite the fact that Bono is not quite what he was as a singer 30 years ago, his vocals are louder, deeper, more on key, and more operatic at times now. I notice that he brought this style along with a little extra echo to SOE as well. The vocals on it are more pronounced and wide open than they have been in the last 20 years.

I think its interesting how Bono in the past said he didn’t like his “girly voice” of their first albums, but recently has said he is singing like a girl again. A return to innocence from experience?

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
« Reply #98 on: December 04, 2017, 06:37:39 AM »
Mostly liking it. Best Thing has worn thin but heard it so many times. Still making my mind up on Summer of Love, RFD, Showman and Love is Bigger. Book of Your Heart is awesome and the strings version of Lights of Home should be on the main album. Very solid and interesting stuff overall. Am a pretty big fan of SOI and probably have SOI ahead though.

Offline redrunningred

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Planet Earth Is Blue
« Reply #99 on: December 04, 2017, 07:37:25 AM »
Mostly liking it. Best Thing has worn thin but heard it so many times. Still making my mind up on Summer of Love, RFD, Showman and Love is Bigger. Book of Your Heart is awesome and the strings version of Lights of Home should be on the main album. Very solid and interesting stuff overall. Am a pretty big fan of SOI and probably have SOI ahead though.

I think SOI has higher highs but slightly lower slows. Side 2 i think is better than SOE, but 1st half is fairly equal.

Offline MadRob360

• Refugee
  • Jealousy Is A Disease
« Reply #100 on: December 04, 2017, 07:47:35 AM »
I love it, IMO their best since PoP certainly. Best 2 tracks to open an album since then anyway. Overall flow of the album is brilliant, My only minor thing is i wish they'd be braver with the single choices. The best songs on the record are all not singles (so far). Little things is definately a highlight for me. American soul is probably my least favourite track it's not that it;s bad, i do like it but it's just my least favourite on the album, I think it'll kill live! I think given that the 'singles' we've had so far, they'll certainly get played live so im afraid some of my favourites won't see the light of day in a live setting. Alas, A return to form indeed!  8)

Offline lucas.homem

• Numb
« Reply #101 on: December 04, 2017, 08:02:35 AM »
I think SOE has higher highs than SOI, has many more songs with staying power to me and its low points are not great mistakes. It's even more consistent as a whole album and also brings great variety in songwriting (SOI too, sure).

Offline j2736 (i'm not a boy ! )

• Desert Rose
  • watch more television
« Reply #102 on: December 04, 2017, 08:38:47 AM »
For me, I think I have finally found the successor for WOWY. And it's..Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way.  I love it so much I feel like crying deep inside I don't know why.

Offline bonorules

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #103 on: December 04, 2017, 08:40:13 AM »
Finally listened to it in full over the weekend and I love it!

Offline loungeshep

• Babyface
« Reply #104 on: December 04, 2017, 09:00:28 AM »
Well:

1. I thought it was a great album, their best in the 18 years I've been a fan.

2. Why is it everytime I'm in the middle of some dramatic crisis that threatens to completely destroy my life U2 releases a new album?

and

3. Was Bono nearly dying or something? Half the album are things I'd want to say to my wife if I were dying.