Poll

Which Songs from Songs of Experience will be played on tour?

Love Is All We Have Left
19 (3.8%)
Lights of Home
49 (9.8%)
You're the Best Thing About Me
59 (11.8%)
Get Out of Your Own Way
56 (11.2%)
American Soul
54 (10.8%)
Summer of Love
20 (4%)
Red Flag Day
37 (7.4%)
The Showman (A Little More Better)
29 (5.8%)
The Little Things That Give You Away
54 (10.8%)
Landlady
12 (2.4%)
The Blackout
53 (10.6%)
Love Is Bigger Than Anything in its Way
29 (5.8%)
13 (There Is a Light)
16 (3.2%)
Ordinary Love
12 (2.4%)
Book of Your Heart
3 (0.6%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Author Topic: Which Songs from Songs of Experience will be played on the upcoming tour?  (Read 616 times)

Offline Swan269

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • I will sing a new song
Hello-Glad the Forum is back!

As with every U2 tour, they don't play every song off of a NEW album.  Songs like Red Hill Mining Town (I know last tour but not until 30 years later  8) ), When You Look at the World, Drowning Man, Heartland, Stand up Comedy, etc.  Which songs from the newest album WILL be played to our ears live?  Snippets for this poll do not count as the song being played.

Offline dwaltman

• Running to Stand Still
Re: Which Songs from Songs of Experience will be played on the upcoming tour?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 09:32:29 AM »
As far as I'm concerned, they could pull a ZooTV and play the 1st 7-8 songs off the record.  I hope they meant what they said in one interview and put the JT to bed.  Hell, I'd be happy with a SOI/SOE show or a 21st century show.

Offline Swan269

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • I will sing a new song
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 09:37:48 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
As far as I'm concerned, they could pull a ZooTV and play the 1st 7-8 songs off the record.  I hope they meant what they said in one interview and put the JT to bed.  Hell, I'd be happy with a SOI/SOE show or a 21st century show.

I agree, its due for a rest.  Let some other tunes emerge from the catalogue.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 09:42:10 AM »
I actually find this tricky because I think you can make a case for almost every song, whereas normally there's at least 1-2 that pretty obviously won't be played. (EG: Sleep Like A Baby Tonight on SoI, Cedars of Lebanon/White As Snow on NLOTH)

But then when I try to list all the songs that I'm VERY confident will be played, I realise it's 8 - which is already about as many as they ever usually play. So my guess is that more or less these 8 will be the bedrock of the show, with some other possibilities:

Absolute Guarantees (Already played live)
You're The Best Thing About Me
Get Out Of Your Own Way
The Blackout
The Little Things That Give You Away

Very Likely
American Soul (Also released early, potential single, big rock vibe)
The Showman (Just seems made to be played live, with that big chorus?)
Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way (Same as the above, but even moreso. I'd be shocked if this one didn't make some appearances)
Lights of Home (It seems to be a real touchstone for this album's themes; it's not only the one most obviously tied to Bono's mortality but it also 'kicks off the album' after the beautiful but quiet intro of LIAWHL)

Maybe
Red Flag Day
Landlady
Summer Of Love (I might even say 'Unlikely' with this one but I wonder if they want to do something with the refugee theme, a la Miss Sarajevo on JT30)

Unlikely
Love Is All We Have Left (I'd love it, but I suspect it's too quiet and meditative for a live setting. But maybe as pre-show music or during the interval, if they have one as they did on I&E?)
Book Of Your Heart

PS: Good to be back!

Offline trainfanjacob8

• Babyface
  • Worst things in the world are justified by belief
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 09:44:04 AM »
I 100% agree with The Unknown Caller's viewpoints.  I can see The Showman being preformed on the "e" stage in the second half of the set.  I think either YTBTAM or TB will open the shows.

Offline JaraSangASongAWeapon

• Party Girl/Boy
  • And the moon turned red over One Tree Hill
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 11:30:11 AM »

I agree, its due for a rest.  Let some other tunes emerge from the catalogue.

You know they will play Streets and WOWY. It's inevitable.

Offline jonnydeaf

• Stateless
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2017, 06:39:51 PM »
I think 13 is a guarantee as it's lyrics contain lyrics from Song for Someone, so, I suspect that somehow those will be connected in the show.

Offline edge726

• Babyface
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2017, 06:50:42 PM »
Blackout opener on e stage. Tear sh*t up

Offline U2_One

• Babyface
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2017, 11:35:37 PM »
What I think we might get:

You're The Best Thing About Me
Get Out Of Your Own Way
American Soul
The Little Things That Give You Away (closer?)
The Blackout (opener?)
Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way
Lights Of Home

Not sure if all of those will be the staple songs, but think about 1/2 the album might be regulars. Won't be surprised if most of the album is played over the duration of the tour.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 08:00:56 AM by U2_One »

Offline hollywoodswag

• Wanderer
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2017, 09:32:37 AM »
I think we'll get American Soul, The Blackout, TLTTGYA, YTBTAM, and GOOYOW for sure, with Lights of Home and 13 being possible additions. I'd be content with even less, if I'm being perfectly honest, but I doubt they'd drop below five from the new album.

As far as TJT stuff, I want Streets to say as I really feel like, with the oppressive volume where I was standing in Tampa, it took away from some of the more powerful songs and I'd like to really experience the song properly. I also want IGC-OTH to stay, but that's just because those songs rock my face off.  ;)

I'm also hoping that some of the standards get a break. Beautiful Day has gone strong since the day it got released, but I'd be okay with it taking a break. I feel the same way about One. I like how U2 went for a few somewhat deeper cuts from their early days on the I+E tour, and I'm hoping that maybe they'll take the same approach on this tour, but with some of their 90s material. There's some material that hasn't seen much, if any, live action, and I'm hoping they take that into consideration. Dirty Day, Last Night on Earth, Gone (which I know survived an additional tour beyond PopMart), Zooropa in full, etc. would all be okay by me. I also wouldn't be at all disappointed with Zoo Station, and I would like to apologize for inserting that into pretty much every commentary I have on setlists.  ;)

Offline Gravy11

• Running to Stand Still
  • On borderland we run and don't look back!
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2017, 09:25:26 PM »
This album has seriously grown on me with repeated listens. As for the tour....It will be SOE heavy like the AB (Zoo Tv) tour. I think this show will have more post AB material. I'm thinking songs like Gone, COBL, Magnificent etc. Maybe they throw in a couple of oldies that haven't seen the light in a bit (I.e. Gloria, The Fly, An Cat Dubh). I'm looking forward to this tour especially since I've come to really like SOE. 😀

Offline MadRob360

• Refugee
  • Jealousy Is A Disease
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2017, 05:08:34 AM »
I just want them to do it differently this time around, I'd love them to open with the first 2 tracks. Summer of Love needs to be played! great tune.

Offline jonnydeaf

• Stateless
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2017, 05:53:36 AM »
"A Little More Better" on the B-stage, please?

Offline hollywoodswag

• Wanderer
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2017, 07:32:51 AM »
Summer of Love is shaping up to potentially be my favorite off of the album. I could get behind that being in the show, or I can at least be optimistic about it.

Offline JFW

• Numb
  • Wondering why I still walk the earth
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2017, 07:43:08 AM »
American Soul will be played at the first shows, but will be removed from the standard setlist I predict.

Showman will be in rotation with songs like Desire, Party Girl and Angel of Harlem