Author Topic: Ranking the SOE songs  (Read 2461 times)

Offline ToRontoRon

• Babyface
Ranking the SOE songs
« on: December 02, 2017, 05:21:21 PM »
I know it's very early and I'm sure this will change dramatically, but as of now, how do you rank 'em?  You can include the bonus tracks if you want, but I'm just going to stick to the official, standard version album tracks.

1.  Love Is Bigger Than Anything Its Way
2.  The Little Things That Give You Away
3.  You're The Best Thing About Me
4.  Red Flag Day
5.  Summer Of Love
6.  Love Is All We Have Left
7.  Get Out Of Your Own Way
8.  The Blackout
9.  Landlady
10.  American Soul
11.  Lights Of Home
12.  13 (There Is A Light)
13.  The Showman (Little More Better)

Offline runbyu1

• Babyface
Re: Ranking the SOE songs
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 06:14:39 PM »
Only 1 full listen and some spot listens for me, so it will be interesting to see how this change.

The Little Things That Give You Away
  Get Out Of Your Own Way
  Landlady
  Love Is Bigger Than Anything Its Way
  Red Flag Day
  You're The Best Thing About Me
  The Blackout
  Summer Of Love
  Love Is All We Have Left
  Lights Of Home
  The Showman (Little More Better)
  American Soul
  13 (There Is A Light)

Whole album is pretty strong, just doesn't have a massive magic emotional classic U2 hit along the lines of Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own, With or Without You, etc.

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 06:19:44 PM »
Red Flag Day
Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way
Landlady
Summer of Love
Lights of Home
Love Is All We Have Left
The Blackout
The Little Things That Give You Away
American Soul
Get Out of Your Own Way
You're the Best Thing About Me
The Showman

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 06:21:55 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Whole album is pretty strong, just doesn't have a massive magic emotional classic U2 hit along the lines of Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own, With or Without You, etc.

It doesn't have an massive magic emotional classic, but it certainly gets a lot closer to one of those on a few occasions a hell of a lot more than SOI ever did. I'd also argue that Love Is Bigger is pretty emotional and has some real powerful Bono wails, which I love.

Offline lucas.homem

• Numb
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 06:38:19 PM »
This was almost impossible to make, lol, and I'm far from sure of everything in my list.

(Pretty much in the highest estimation right now)
1. Love Is All We Have Left
2. Red Flag Day
3. Summer of Love
4. The Little Things That Give You Away
5. The Showman
6. American Soul
7. Landlady
8. 13
(Pretty damn good too)
9. The Blackout
10. Lights of Home
11. Get Out of Your Own Way
12. You're The Best Thing About Me
(the only one I think is just avarage)
13. Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way

Offline jjcruiser

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 08:46:04 PM »
Very difficult this soon, but happy to try.  Surprised and interested at others' rankings; maybe I'll have to give extra consideration to some tunes I discounted a bit at first.

1. Lights of Home
2. Landlady
3. Love is Bigger
4. Summer of Love
5. Blackout
6. Little Things (if they'd done the stripped down piano version it would have been much higher).
7. You're the Best
8. Showman
9. Red Flag
10. Love is All We
11. American Soul
12. 13
13. Get Out Of Your

I really think people are underestimating Lights of Home.  It's going to be the Streets of this tour.  But then I never heard the sampled song they used for it so maybe some people are reacting against that?  I don't know.  Just know I burst into tears hearing it and haven't had that happen in a long, long time.

U2_One

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2017, 11:05:57 PM »
Changes quite a bit with each listen, but for now:

1. The Little Things That Give You Away
2. Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way
3. Red Flag Day
4. The Blackout
5. Lights Of Home
6. Landlady
7. The Showman (Little More Better)
8. Get Out Of Your Own Way
9. You're The Best Thing About Me
10. American Soul
11. Love Is All We Have Left
12. 13 (There Is A Light)
13. Summer Of Love

Really enjoy the album.

Offline lucas.homem

• Numb
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 03:34:41 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I really think people are underestimating Lights of Home.  It's going to be the Streets of this tour.  But then I never heard the sampled song they used for it so maybe some people are reacting against that?  I don't know.  Just know I burst into tears hearing it and haven't had that happen in a long, long time.

For me, it's like the Cedarwood Road of the album, but more cathartic. It's well written and all, but sometimes I wonder if there's something missing for me in this one.

Offline croni

• Babyface
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2017, 05:37:47 AM »
Little Things
Red Flag Day
Summer of Love
The Blackout
Love is All We Have Left
Book of Your Heart
Get out of Your Own Way

Following are songs that I will never want to listen to again:

Lights of Home
The Showman
Love is Bigger
Landlady
American Soul
You're the Best Things About Me

Offline croni

• Babyface
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2017, 05:48:47 AM »
Based on other people's rankings I've given Lights of Home, Love is Bigger and Landlady some more listens, but alas, they are definitely not my cup of tea.

But to get 8 songs I either really love or really like, is fantastic. Especially after Songs of Innocence, which I thought pretty much spelt the end for the band

Offline clydefrog

• Stateless
  • I'm ready to say I'm glad to be alive
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2017, 01:41:50 AM »
Love is Bigger
Get out of you own way
Red flag day
little things
lights of home
the blackout
summer of love
best thing
little more better
american soul
love is all we have left
landlady

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I Am Here
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2017, 07:49:32 AM »
Tough but I will have a go:

1. Little Things
2. Landlady
3. Book of Your Heart
4. Blackout
5. Lights of Home (Strings version) - this would fair a lot worse if not for the strings version.
6. GOOYOW
7. American Soul
8. Love is all we have left
9. RFD
10. Showman
11. Summer of Love
12. Love is Bigger
13. 13 - who would have thought!
14. Best Thing

9 to 12 was really tough. all very close really. Top 8 not that hard actually.

Offline kacey725

• Stranger in a Strange Land
  • Infinity is a great place to start
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2017, 08:01:21 PM »
As everyone else has said, these are my rankings *for now*. I could change my mind tomorrow! One thing I will say is that I don't "hate" anything on this album. I absolutely love about half of it and for me, all but a few songs are super solid. The two that I connect with the least are probably one of YOUR favorites.

TIER 1: MY FAVORITES
1. Love is Bigger Than Anything in its Way - This wasn't the song that instantly caught me. It was the song that I had to keep coming back to to decide how I felt about it. I like it more each time I hear it.
2. The Blackout - Instantly catchy stomper with fuzzy edges, some great double-meaning lyrics, and shades of Achtung Baby-era sonics.
3. Summer of Love - I'm surprised that I haven't seen anyone mention yet that Larry and Adam virtually recreate The Zombies' "Time of the Season," down to almost the same tempo. Edge's guitar work stands out as unique from his typical stuff. And I love the level of complexity added by the disconnect of the seemingly breezy tune and the true depth of the lyrics. My one complaint: if you're going to get Gaga to do backing vocals, how about making it sound like she was ever there? Without the liner notes, I might not even know that there's anyone on the track that's not in the band.
4. Landlady - Another song that didn't draw me in right away and required my patience. It's gorgeous. And it's Bono's best vocal on the album, if you ask me.
5. Love is All We Have Left - I could have easily put this first because I was so damned excited about the experimentation of it. The atmospheric opening, the use of vocoder...it's one of the most arresting openings of a U2 album I can think of, and yet I can also imagine this as the album's closing track, too, considering how prevalent "love" is in the song titles and lyrics. What ultimately kept me from ranking it higher is that it feels more like a prelude or an intro than a full song.
6. 13 (There is a Light) - I love how this ties SOE to SOI. It's not the only tie, but it's the most obvious. I'm half tempted to say that I like this better than "Song For Someone," but I don't want to make that decision yet. Sometimes Bono's earnest lyrics come across as simplistic or cheesy. Here, the lyrics are unquestionably genuine in their sentiment.

TIER 2: "THE MIDDLE" (REALLY GOOD)
7. The Little Things That Give You Away - I've been sitting with this song the longest, since I heard it live on the Joshua Tree anniversary tour. I love the song. It's got Joshua Tree-era guitar work from Edge and a poignant lyric, and aside from the vintage guitar, it seems typical of the kind of stuff Bono is writing lately.
8. Red Flag Day - I definitely get all of the comments about this being a throwback to early-era U2. I think the most obvious reason for me is Edge's "red flag day" vocal and echo-y background vocals. And Bono sounds really energized on this vocal. It's certainly the "oldest U2" sound on the album.
9. Lights of Home - This song fell the furthest for me on repeat listenings. I might have ranked it top 3 on my first pass through the album. I still like it, but it's definitely in my "middle category" of good songs on an album that has some great ones. Once again, you've got a great guest backing vocal in Haim, but you bury it so low in the mix that it barely sounds like they were there. Bummer.
10. Get Out of Your Own Way - Definitely reminds me of something from All That You Can't Leave Behind...particularly "Beautiful Day." Along with "American Soul," it seems to me that the Kendrick Lamar window dressing on these tracks pull focus to them as a sort of thematic centerpiece to the album, and yet I find both of them to be among the record's weaker moments. I like the idea of the title more than the rest of it. I'm sure this will be great live, though.
11. You're the Best Thing About Me - I had to warm up to the first single. It seemed like a forced attempt at pop music, and the Kygo remix, for all its charms, only reinforced this. It's a fairly slight song. And yet I don't put it in my lowest tier because - doggone it - I keep bobbing my head to it when it's on, and I never skip it. Must be some kind of ear worm...

TIER 3: MY LEAST FAVORITE (OKAY SONGS...LESS MY THING)
12. American Soul - For me, this is the "Get On Your Boots" of the album. I can easily imagine this being a lot of fun live, as Saturday's SNL performance hinted at, but it's a song that focuses on one of Bono's most overstated and worn ideas, which is the concept of America and its exceptionalism. Maybe I'm not feeling like now is a good time in the world to promote American exceptionalism?
13. The Showman (Little More Better) - The only lyric I like less than "little more better" is "the best thing that every happened a boy." Along with American Soul, this song basically musicalizes one of Bono's most well-tread ideas in interviews, with concepts that you can trace back to "The Fly." I just haven't connected with this yet. The whole story of "don't trust the guy up on the stage" is a tired topic to me now.

Not sure where I'd rank the whole album among the other 13 right now, but it's definitely on a constant rotation! I may never make it to Christmas music this month!

Offline DrDoom171

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2017, 10:13:11 AM »
I actually like all of the songs on this album, which hasn't truly happened since Achtung Baby.  I'm not claiming this is the next masterpiece by U2, but I am stating it is a strong album, even if it is a little bit too "safe".  Here is my ranking:

Tier 1 Songs - Very Good to Great

1.  Love Is Bigger Than Anything Its Way  (This grew from middle of the pack to top dog in a couple of days)

2.  American Soul -  Come on...admit it....if Volcano and Rose of Glastonbury had never been made, 95% of you would say this is the best darn U2 rock song since The Fly, or Acrobat, or *insert favorite U2 rock song here*.  American Soul is to Volcano/Glastonbury what Vertigo is to Native Son.

3.  Lights Of Home....either version -  Makes it this high because of the "Free Yourself" minute long ending which is fantastic.

4.  The Little Things That Give You Away -  Absolutely love the guitar work and build up to the ending.  Starts off like Moment of Surrender, finishes like All I want is you.

5.  Get Out Of Your Own Way -  Reminds me a lot of Walk On in structure and tempo with some Beautiful Day hints thrown in.  Just a good song

6.  Love Is All We Have Left -  Unique, different, unexpected, but I don't really like the auto-tune voice thing.

7.  Landlady -  The opening lyrics and Bono's voice in the verses are probably the most emotion-invoking sounds on the album for me.

Tier 2 Songs - Good Songs

8.  The Blackout -  I liked the live version a ton!  It sounded like it was plucked from Achtung Baby.  The recorded version sounds much more club/dance/electronica.  I still like the song, but wish it was more organic sounding like the live version.

9.  Red Flag Day -  Solid, catchy hook, really good song.  I didn't really like this at first but quickly rising on my list.

10.  You're The Best Thing About Me -  Good pop tune, pretty catchy, actually better than I first thought when it was released as the lead single.

Tier 3 Songs - Not Bad/Pretty Good

11.  Summer Of Love -  Something about the guitar sound reminds me too much of Wild Honey, which isn't really a good thing for me, but the chorus is catchy so it redeems itself.

12.  The Showman (Little More Better) - Not bad, just not particularly good, IMO

13.  13 (There Is A Light) - Just doesn't do much for me but I don't hate it.

There are no Tier 4 or Tier 5 songs on this album.  On the other hand, I also don't think there are any Top 10 all time U2 songs either.

Offline DrDoom171

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2017, 10:26:18 AM »
Oh, and an FYI, if Book of Your Heart was eligible, it would likely be #3 on my list.  This is a great song!