Author Topic: Ranking the SOE songs  (Read 5176 times)

Offline U2boy14

• Wanderer
  • Dream Out Loud
Re: Ranking the SOE songs
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2017, 01:15:14 PM »
This is easy:

Love is Better Than Anything In its Way
Love is all We Have Left
The Showman
Get Out of Your Own Way
You're the Best Thing About Me
Red Flag Day
The Landlady
Summer of Love
Lights of Home
American Soul
The Little Things That Give You Away
The Blackout
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 09:08:18 PM by U2boy14 »

Offline ohio073

• Babyface
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2017, 04:38:00 PM »
Lights of Home string version is far superior and U2 at its best.  Will be the best live song.  Be great to see them perform this sometime with a backing orchestra.

1) Lights of Home (string version)
2) Red Flag Day
3) Little Things That Give You Away
4) Showman (surprised how low this is ranked on the board)
5) The Blackout
6) You’re the Best Thing
7) Landlady
8 ) 13
9) Love is All We Have Left
10) Love is Bigger...
11) Get Out of Your....
12) Summer of Love
13) American Soul

Not a bad song on the album....my top 3 stand out as classics....not much difference between rest.  Loving the album, but string Lights of Home is just amazing.
10)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 04:40:22 PM by ohio073 »

Offline ohio073

• Babyface
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2017, 04:44:41 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I really think people are underestimating Lights of Home.  It's going to be the Streets of this tour.  But then I never heard the sampled song they used for it so maybe some people are reacting against that?  I don't know.  Just know I burst into tears hearing it and haven't had that happen in a long, long time.

Completely agree, but the string version is more powerful.  Love it.  Wish they had released that instead of American Soul.

Offline TongueInMyEar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Love it won't be long....
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2017, 03:26:21 AM »
I found this difficult, mostly because I think it's an incredibly strong album. Blackout and American Soul only ones I'm ever tempted to skip.

1.  The Little Things That Give You Away
2.  Landlady
3.  Love Is All We Have Left
4.  Red Flag Day
5.  Get Out Of Your Own Way
6.  The Showman (Little More Better)
7.  You're The Best Thing About Me
8.  Summer Of Love
9.  Love Is Bigger Than Anything Its Way
10.  13 (There Is A Light)
11.  Lights Of Home
12.  American Soul
13.  The Blackout

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2017, 09:24:28 AM »
1. The Little Things That Give You Away
2. Ordinary Love
3. Red Flag Day
4. 13 (There Is A Light)
5. Love Is All We Have Left
6. Lights of Home
7. Landlady
8. Book of Your Heart
9. You're The Best Thing About Me
10. Summer of Love
11. American Soul
12. Get Out Of Your Own Way
13. The Blackout
14. Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way
15. The Showman

I really struggle to rank this one as I really like 1-13. Love is Bigger is decent but leaves me somewhat cold and I don't like The Showman at all. 1-3 are set in stone for me but after that it's hard to rank as they're really close.

Offline 1985

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2017, 12:13:03 PM »
Ranking in terms of what I see as contribution to the U2 canon (as opposed to what I may call a favorite):

1. Little Things -- in a different era, as recently as 2001, this song would be everywhere and would be among the band's all-time greats.

2. Lights of Home -- may not be everyone's taste, but it's a very distinctive piece of pop/rock that, again, would be a hit in a previous era. The #2 hole on a U2 album is a special place -- Pride, ISHF and EBTTRT -- and this one is among the most worthy inheritors of that legacy. It is my favorite song on the album.

3. 13/(There is A Light) -- love this song. To me, there's no surpassing All I Want Is You as classic U2 closer. Love Is Blindness comes closest because, while it's not quite AIWIY's equal, it's the perfect closer to AB, a near-perfect album. But the band has been rekindling the closer magic over these past three albums, with CoL, The Troubles and 13 all brilliantly reflecting their albums' themes. What makes 13 so strong is how it somehow echoes both the opener and SFS (exemplifying Experience to SFS's Innocence).

4. Red Flag Day -- evokes early 80s U2 sound yet still current somehow, musically and thematically. Probably my second favorite.

5. The Blackout -- best rocker on the album and best rocker in recent memory...maybe in the last 20 years? I include Vertigo and Elevation in that category, so pretty high praise. Yet I probably like it less than it's ranking here because my love for the rockers has diminished with time.

6. Love Is Bigger -- so close, but for me there's something missing. I saw elsewhere someone describe it as a guilty pleasure. I'll go along with that, but I think if I'm honest, there's not enough build up in it as a song (recognizing that the album builds up to it and in many ways this song is a sugar-high reward for a lot of heartache that's preceded it).

Every song above this point would probably be on a "U2: Best of the 21st Century" album for me, if that album had 12-13 tracks. That's how good I think SOE is, especially relative to output from the previous four albums.

7. You're the Best Thing -- I keep wanting not to like the song and to get tired of it. I keep failing. I don't love U2's "bopping hit" genre by any means, but this song is as good as they've done in that line of work, a more interesting and lasting song than The Miracle.

8. Love Is All We Have Left -- Reminds me of Zoo Station as the perfect tone- and theme-setter for everything that will follow. So sad to see the first line misunderstood by so many published critics as (mistaken) evidence of the album's peppy optimism.

9. Summer of Love -- Could listen to it all day long with some beautiful moments. Heartbreaking. Would be a top 4 song on any other album this century.

10. The Showman -- Quite clever. I haven't been seeking it out, because I don't know if I love listening to it, but I have an appreciation for what it's saying and how it says it, if that makes sense.

11. Landlady -- The end is better than the beginning and there's nothing particularly wrong with the beginning. Sweet. Just perhaps easy to overlook in a jam-packed album.

12. Get Out of Your Own Way -- I find nothing offensive about it, but nothing particularly interesting about it either. Kinda neutral. If neutrality gets you #12 on the list, we have ourselves a pretty damn good album.

13. American Soul -- Opportunity missed. Eagerness to join "The Resistance" got the better of their best sensibilities. I don't feel compelled to skip it yet, but I'm certainly not drawn to it now that I have the full album at my disposal.

I join those who put this album in the top tier of the band's career, certainly my vote for best since Achtung, Baby (and not all that close in my view). Probably fourth best overall. AB sits on top, not just for pure artistic accomplishment but for the guts to reinvent their sound while at peak popularity...work of sheer genius. JT is close second...epic, monumental but somehow more inevitable. Followed by Boy, which stands alone as a great album...elevated considering their youth and inexperience. For similar reasons, this album, as a collection of standout songs, gets credit for finding near greatness as the band closes out its fourth decade. Unprecedented and unexpected.

Offline A_Fly_On_The_Wall

• Deep In the Heart
  • Doing My Best Work In Your Disbelief Of Existence
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2017, 06:14:10 PM »
1. Love Is All We Have Left - 10/10
Such a daring, delicate and transfixing album opener; possibly U2’s most ballsy opener of all time. Bono’s voice sounds so vulnerable and the song just glides effortlessly through start to finish.

2. Lights Of Home - 10/10
The entire band shines through on this song for sure. Edge’s bluesy rock vibe and slide solo is magic and I can feel the chorus getting everyone singing in harmony when played live. The long outro of “free yourself” etc. is sublime as well and ends the song nicely.

3. You’re The Best Thing About Me - 10/10
MEGA stuff from the guys on this one! Absolutely loved this track from the first time I heard it. Bono’s vocal in the chorus is great, Edge’s solo part and vocal solo is awesome, Adam’s bass bounces the song along well and Larry carries the band with an awesome drum pattern!

4. Get Out Of Your Own Way - 10/10
Possibly U2’s most U2-sounding track on the album. Starting off with shades of Streets and pounding through to a Beautiful Day-esque chorus is sublime. Edge’s backing vocals carry this song through the chorus amazingly well and his voice sounds like a stadium full of voices rather than just his own!

5. American Soul - 6/10
A weaker version of Volcano and Glastonbury for me I’m afraid. The chorus falls flat on its face with no real punch other than the rather shouty vocals. However, I cannot deny the sheer magic of Edge’s intro and riff through the verses - what a killer hook! Shame the song doesn’t fulfil its true potential (although, seems as if it’ll be a live hit!).

6. Summer Of Love - 10/10
Wow... truly speechless at this track. The most beautiful guitar lick I’ve heard from Edge in a very long time (possibly since Miracle Drug for me). Bono’s subtle vocals are a real highlight here too along with Adam’s classy bassline carrying the song all the way through with Larry as a great backup.

7. Red Flag Day - 10/10
I’m transported back to Red Rocks listening to this track. Such a powerhouse and an utter BEAST of a song! Edge’s sketchy funk riff, Adam’s INSANE bassline (his best on the album!) Larry’s quick-handed drum pattern and Bono’s shouty-yet-constrained vocals make this an instant U2 classic for me - excellent song!!!

8. The Showman (Little More Better) - 7/10
A life story about Bono, written by Bono. Very personal lyrics and a great singalong chorus to boot. Good song overall but not as good as others from the album in my opinion.

9. The Little Things That Give You Away - 9/10
What a shame the mixing of this track isn’t quite right. The lack of any substantial hook carrying the song through to the explosive climax is a real disappointment for me, especially considering the mega live performances the band have done of this so far. Still, that solo from Edge and the “sometimes” section will never fail to send shivers down my spine.

10. Landlady - 7/10
Another vulnerable-sounding and personal song by Bono. Lovely lyrics and a beautiful ode to Ali. Takes a while to really get going I think but the final minute or so with the “every wave that broke me” section onwards is pure magic and, finally...  “I would win and call it losing, if the prize was not for you” - this line is so beautiful and sang so delicately by Bono.

11. The Blackout - 9/10
Another disappointment on record as the mixing doesn’t seem anywhere near as good as it should be. Larry’s drums feel subdued at best and, although the song ROCKS, the mix of it feels extremely flat and lacks any real punch. This is “The Fly” of this record but sounds drastically watered down in comparison to its predecessor on record. Hopefully, this will be a rocking live anthem and I’ve marked it high due to it being a great overall song (just the production lets it down).

12. Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way - 7/10
Not quite feeling this track just yet. Sounds a bit too much like too much thinking went into the production to make this as grandiose as possible but I’m just not feeling the vibe from it yet. A few more listens and, hopefully, my mind will be swayed!

13. 13 (There Is A Light) - 9/10
Excellent album closer and beautifully mirrors the delicacy of the album opener. Nice revisit of the SFS lyrics too and used much better this time around. Another nice little track and one which showcases Bono’s vocals very well indeed again.

Overall Ranking: 9/10
Some VERY solid songs here and the album has a very nice cohesiveness about it which makes listening to it from start to finish a real pleasure. Now to hear it live in 2018!!!

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2017, 02:51:46 AM »
American Soul is really getting on my nerves unfortunately.

Offline Fastcars12

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2017, 04:05:02 AM »
American Soul is really getting on my nerves unfortunately.
Agree

Offline Fastcars12

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2017, 04:05:37 AM »
Lights of Home

Little Things

Red Flag Day

Showman

Everything else

Offline The Fly

• Stateless
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2017, 11:44:55 AM »
Tough to do, but here goes:

Summer of Love (10/10) - absolutely love it. Delicate, moving, beautiful. One of their best ever, IMO
Red Flag Day (10) - a very close second. Love the energy and punch. Adam is killing it
The Blackout (9) - And Adam kills it again. Love the subtle allusion to Blake's "The Chimney Sweeper"
Landlady (9) - Beautiful, haunting, tender... I love it.
Lights of Home (8.5) - Love the song, but not the ending. Mix could have been better too.
Get Out of Your Own Way (8) - Edge's guitar work on this one is beautiful.
The Little Things Give You Away (8) - A bit overrated on this forum (IMO), but a good some still
The Showman (7.5) - Fun. Nice to see them going outside their comfort zone
You're the Best Thing About Me (7) - I understand why it was the first single, and I like it, but still not amazing
American Soul (5) - Meh... It just makes me want to listen to Volcano
Love is All We Have Left (4) - "A baby cries on a doorstep"? Sorry, just don't get it. Sound is cool; words are dumb. (In all honesty, I usually skip it to go straight into Lights of Home)
13 (4) - Just can't get into this one. Again, I liked Song for Someone better
Love is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way (2) - the bridge is the only mildly redeeming part of this song. I think it's beyond cheesy. By far my least favorite song.

Offline mcase84

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2017, 08:28:57 PM »
Still getting a feel for the album. Here goes:
1. Get out of your own way- At this point in their career- I'm happy to have a very U2 sounding song. I think hearing some of the bono and edge acoustic renditions on their promo tour really made me like this song even more.
2. Little Things- very strong- great ending. Sounds a ton better on album than the recorded live versions I heard from Joshua Tree tour. I think they should have waited to break this out live
3. Blackout- has the potential to fall down the ranking with more listens- but I like U2 best being loud and rocking, without forcing it (I would say Boots would be prime example of forcing it). The lyrics are a bit cheesy, but overall love the sound and energy of this song, and like the "go easy on me brother" part of the song that builds up. Think this could really be great live if used correctly
4. Best Thing about me- I wanted to hate it when I first heard it. But it won't go away. I wouldn't argue with any U2 fan that said they disliked it. I think a quote from Bono and Edge on Fallon pushed this song into favoritism for me when they admitted it was a bit cheesy pop- but hey sometimes you just need a positive feeling song to listen and sing to. I think the ending of the song is great with the Edge solo, and is complex enough of song for me to re-listen.
5. Landlady- I don't know why- but when I hear it, I instantly like the song. Yes title is quirky, but for mellow songs on U2 albums I think this stands up pretty well
6. Lights of Home- pretty good, I probably moved up my ranking from all the positive feedback from U2 fans on this song. But I'm not buying this is best song or will be the best live. Something just missing, good chorus, can't say I love the ending
7. Red Flag Day- this one on the move up my ranking. Like more with each listen
8. Summer of Love- indifferent at the moment- won't skip it, but won't hit repeat on it either
9. Love is bigger- can't put my finger on this song, has potential to be the best, but something about it just seems like they are forcing a pop catchy tune here. I can't explain why, for whatever reason I'm ok with Best thing about me pop tune, but this one not flying with me at the moment. It is definitely a song if maybe I hear live, stripped down, or some context on it form Bono and edge I could do a 180 on and put in top 3 of album, but not yet
The bottom four for me aren't hard
10. Love is all we have left- pretty cool tune, very different, but actually not feeling it as album opener. Is not a memorable song for me, I probably moved it down my ranking just because it is the opener
11. American Soul- absolutely terrific opening, really feeling the energy, and then falls off a cliff. Don't like the chorus. Feels like a forced rock song. I think the decline in the song from start to finish makes me the most disappointed in this song
12. 13 Light- very disappointed. I usually love U2 album ending songs, because it seems they put their guard down and put something out there very unique and interesting. Look at the run of album closers: 40, MLK, Mothers, All want is you, Blindness, Dead Man, (skipping Grace- sorry), Yahweh, Cedars, and Troubles. All great U2 closers in my opinion. My first gripe with this song, it is a rehash of song from prior album, so they haven't given me any new material here. Yes the lyrics seem nice and personal for Bono, but this song provides nothing interesting to me. Might be my biggest gripe with album is the closer
13. Showman- As much as I beat up 13 Light above, I still rank Showman below it. I'm not as mad at showman as 13, because U2 usually have a throw away song in the middle of their album, which is fine. This one just doesn't hit for me, makes me a cringe a bit with each listen
Overall I feel the album is a mixed bag. Might be a little better than I expected. People got excited when first released and I heard mentions of almost as good as Achtung or best since, I think that is way over exaggerated. While I'm very thankful U2 is still putting out quality music I enjoy, this album should not be put in the same sentence or thought as Achtung. If we are ranking albums Post Achtung- it puts a fight up against Pop and Bomb, which is pretty good company, and I'm thankful for.

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2017, 06:42:32 AM »
11. American Soul- absolutely terrific opening, really feeling the energy, and then falls off a cliff. Don't like the chorus. Feels like a forced rock song. I think the decline in the song from start to finish makes me the most disappointed in this song

Overall I feel the album is a mixed bag. Might be a little better than I expected. People got excited when first released and I heard mentions of almost as good as Achtung or best since, I think that is way over exaggerated. While I'm very thankful U2 is still putting out quality music I enjoy, this album should not be put in the same sentence or thought as Achtung. If we are ranking albums Post Achtung- it puts a fight up against Pop and Bomb, which is pretty good company, and I'm thankful for.

Agreed on both.

Too many of their songs have chorus' or bridges that come to a screeching halt, or the final line of a chorus is sung without music. It doesn't flow. This technique is annoying; I wish they found ways to integrate the chorus into the songs a lot better. I'd say there are about 4 or 5 songs where I just wish the chorus' or the bridge was a bit more natural and not trying to be a jagged interruption response to the rest of the song.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 06:52:08 AM by Clarky »

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2017, 07:24:22 AM »
Probably still way too early for me to do this.  Things are still drastically moving around.  So this goes under the obligatory and cursory caveat “as of today.”

This has been my favorite since halfway through the first listen on the first day.
1.  Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way

I really like all of these, and they jostle for order.  Tomorrow #7 could be #2 and vice versa. 
2.  Love Is All We Have Left
3.  Lights of Home
4.  Red Flag Day
5.  Summer of Love
6.  American Soul
7.  The Blackout

I also like all of these, but they’re in the next tier down.  I’m not as enamored with “Little Things,” as a lot of people seem to be (but it’s been growing on me with every listen).  “The Showman” is my wife’s favorite tune (she’s not a big U2 fan).  I haven’t been listening as much to the other two songs in this tier since the album came out (but I’m still liking them just fine when I do hear them). 
8.  The Little Things That Give You Away
9.  The Showman
10.  Get Out of Your Own Way
11.  You’re the Best Thing About Me

These aren’t bad, or anything.  But up to this point, they’re mostly skips for me.  However, last night on the way home I listened to them both and enjoyed them quite a bit. 
12.  Landlady
13.  13

THE ALBUM:
It’s still too early for me to know where this album will end up in my personal U2antheon.  I think I can safely say that it’ll end up higher than the last one.  A bit of time and perspective will shape it.  To me, if it’s good U2 music, it will evolve and progress to something else, something even greater.  If it isn’t, it’ll begin to sound dull and staid, after a few months.  For now, I’m just enjoying it without future expectation.   

I’ll have to do this again in a month or three or six.

Offline davis

• Stateless
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2017, 01:24:47 PM »
Red Flag Day
Summer of Love
The Showman
Lights of Home
Landlady
The Little Things That Give You Away
Love is Bigger Than Anything in Its Way
Love is All We Have Left
You're the Best Thing About Me
Get Out Of Your Own Way
The Blackout
American Soul

The first 10 of these are perfection to my ears.  The last three aren't bad, but not up to the level of the others for me.  Still, I'd give this album a solid 4.5/5 stars.