Author Topic: Ranking the SOE songs  (Read 4473 times)

Offline the_chief

• Headache in a Suitcase
Re: Ranking the SOE songs
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2018, 06:35:02 AM »
Still listening to it....Which is a good sign, as that is something I never do with studio albums.

The last two albums have contained, what I feel and think, some truly special songs.

The Troubles
The Little Things That Give You Away
GOOYOW
Red Flag Day
LIBTAIIW
California
This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now
Sleep Like A Baby Tonight
Raised By Wolves
The Blackout
Lights Of Home

I think the band get a lot of unfair flack. I've personally loved the last two efforts now

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2018, 03:19:06 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I hear that opening line and immediately think of Spongebob.  It's the beeeeesstt daaayy evveeerrrr, beeesst daaayyyy eevvveeerrrrr.

AS just all sounds off to me for some reason.  Also, I loved that part in XXX so much, the bass, the drums, it was so smooth and cool, and I think it's a great lyric.  Putting it to the dumb overdone instrumentation we got on the final version was such a mistake, I think.

I totally get what you're saying (and the SpongeBob reference -- loved SpongeBob up to that episode -- now that song's stuck in my head again, thanks!  :) ).

It's an incredibly straightforward, over-the-top, some-may-say cheesy line.  But for me, it's so naked and almost childlike -- striking, in a way-- that it startles me into getting it doubled back around into something more meditative and contemplative.  Bono could say something similar in a bunch of different ways...  For me, the meaning of it is:  sure, things may seem really, really sh**ty right now, for a multitude of different reasons -- but there's nothing that can hold you back to making THIS day, RIGHT NOW, a day that's both special and unique.  What's inside us right now can turn this mother around.  For me, Bono saying something like that, in an almost adolescent way (and have it be the very first line on the new album -- there was surely a lot of thought behind that line), makes me look at it, and address it straight on.  And he's f****** right -- there's nothing to keep us from where we should be.

All that being said, again, I totally understand what you're saying.  It took me a little bit to be cool with it, myself. 

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2018, 03:24:11 PM »
It's not just WHAT he says, but HOW. Straight into my ear, almost privately, very warmly, with a pitch and timbre that literally vibrate some part of my brain like a harmonic.

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
« Reply #63 on: April 25, 2018, 03:25:08 PM »
Also, I don't watch Spongebob.

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #64 on: April 25, 2018, 03:31:14 PM »
Also, I don't watch Spongebob.

Yeah-- that was for SwimmingSorrows who used the reference when replying to your post.  Agree with what you say about the SOUND of the words too.

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2018, 03:51:45 PM »
Yeah, I was just saying it didn't get ruined for me via Spongebob.

"We're on a piece of ground... Below a volcano!"
Hmm or maybe I should quote The Unforgettable Fire instead. Or is TUF even about the Unforgettable Fire at all? NM, sorry to everyone at Bikini Bottom, carry on.

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #66 on: April 25, 2018, 09:22:17 PM »
“Also: I don’t watch Spongebob” would be, I believe, a mindmelting title of a EDM track.

Offline World71R

• Refugee
  • It's no secret ambition bites the nails of success
« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2018, 09:44:45 PM »
Still listening to it....Which is a good sign, as that is something I never do with studio albums.

The last two albums have contained, what I feel and think, some truly special songs.

The Troubles
The Little Things That Give You Away
GOOYOW
Red Flag Day
LIBTAIIW
California
This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now
Sleep Like A Baby Tonight
Raised By Wolves
The Blackout
Lights Of Home

I think the band get a lot of unfair flack. I've personally loved the last two efforts now

I'd put Cedarwood Road on there. It's a strong and very deep track talking about what it was like to live in the town they grew up in and how it's gone on to impact them in life. Plus, that guitar riff is bliss and it has a nice mix of smooth & silky textures and rough & gritty textures.

I would argue that it's one of the definitive songs of the Innocence and Experience eras, and that's especially highlighted by its inclusion in the setlist again in the E+I Tour (albeit RBW is in their too but that song is similar in concept).

Offline Lebowski

• Refugee
« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2018, 09:54:11 PM »
I wish Cedarwood Road's verses weren't so uninteresting.  I love everything else about the song - that riff, the chorus, the break in the middle, etc. - but the verses are so bland, vocally and musically.  I still like the song quite a bit, but that could have been a great one.

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2018, 02:02:05 AM »
I am not a musician, but Cedarwood seems to me to use something that evokes a walking pace. There's a dual back-and-forth to the vocals at the speed of an amble that makes you feel like you're walking down Cedarwood Road. But the nature of our two legged amble is simple so that's where the noncomplexity of the melody is felt. I think it's neat though.

Offline Sevy2016

• Babyface
« Reply #70 on: May 04, 2018, 12:26:02 PM »
I think 3:22 on little things is one of the greatest recorded moments by the band.
It represents the synergy of the band better than any other moment I can think of.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #71 on: May 04, 2018, 06:41:47 PM »
There is something about how each member comes in to the song in the "Little Things" that feels very emotional to me.  I can't say it's my favorite song on the album, but it does bring the whole together in a very unique way, and it's brought tears to my eyes on more than one occasion.

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
« Reply #72 on: May 04, 2018, 09:50:26 PM »
Edge's guitar at 3:49 is peak U2.

But I also love Larry's cymbals when Bono first sings the end is here.

I gotta listen more for Adam in there. It's not a showy bass track like RFD or Blackout, so I will have to pay more attention.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #73 on: May 05, 2018, 05:50:17 AM »
I'm surprised they aren't playing (I don't think) REd Flag Day on the tour.  Seems like it would be a natural crowd-pleaser.

Offline Lebowski

• Refugee
« Reply #74 on: May 05, 2018, 09:49:23 AM »
I'm surprised they aren't playing (I don't think) REd Flag Day on the tour.  Seems like it would be a natural crowd-pleaser.

That should have been one of the first two singles (along with You're the Best Thing About Me).  U2 rockers that have success as singles usually kick ass live.  Who knows how much success Red Flag Day would have had as a single, but it should have been given a chance.