Author Topic: How do people feel that U2 has used bits from Haim/ One Republic songs?  (Read 1236 times)

Offline BalconyTV

• Numb
So I am just learning that Haim co-wrote Lights of Home. And the guitar part can be found in an already released track.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Added to that, One Republic were working on a called West Coast. And essentially is the hook on Summer of Love.

Just curious how people feel about this?

As much as I dont have a problem with U2 working with producers etc, I am not sure I feel two great about these lifts.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 08:05:00 PM by BalconyTV »

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • Nashville, Montreal 1 & 2
Re: How do people feel that U2 has used bits from Haim/ One Republic songs?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 08:00:42 PM »
By far the greatest U2 riff in recent memory.

Offline jjcruiser

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 08:54:45 PM »
Pretty attenuated for LoH. 

Summer of Love though...that's the exact same riff.  Wow.

I guess I'm disappointed?  But only because I'm possessive of U2's genius.  At the end of the day, who knows how many famous bits of my favorite U2 songs were someone else's idea in the studio.  As long as they credit people as producers/writers/etc., I don't see an issue with it.  I seem to recall Eno and Lanois coming up with fairly significant parts to JT.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Staring at the Sun
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 08:56:48 PM »
It's fine. They used outside material in Seconds, Playboy Mansion, Cedars Of Lebanon, Wake Up Dead Man, The Ground Beneath Her Feet, 40, Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car, Beautiful Day, Stuck In A Moment, etc, etc. They've never been an insular band when it came to creation.

Offline achtungx

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Lillywhite Called Me a Naughty British Slang Word
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 10:07:20 PM »
I couldn't care less.

Offline blovesu2

• Babyface
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 10:14:42 PM »
I couldn't care less.

Ditto.
They're great songs, regardless of how they came to be

Offline Marvinho

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2017, 10:34:44 PM »
I've never heard of either of those bands so had no idea. Not a problem for me.

Offline BalconyTV

• Numb
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2017, 10:48:38 PM »
They are pretty big bands.

Offline Silver Lining

• Refugee
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2017, 02:53:52 AM »
Every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief...

The original thought is one part of genius, the other part is working out how to use it. The entire creative process is collaborative, be it between the 4 band members, or them plus others.

Taking someones idea, and reflecting that through the prism of U2 means the end result is a U2 song, and why does it matter more if the originator of the idea is a guy from One Republic than, for example, Brian Eno? And, I don't recall any complaints about Eno's influence on songs in the past!

Offline BalconyTV

• Numb
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2017, 06:21:56 AM »
Because it was intended as a song for another band when it comes to the One Rep bit.

Regarding Haim, because it was a bit on an already published song.

What if you found out the main sound on New Years Day is actually from another band? You don't think you'd be a little bit sad?

Offline lucas.homem

• Numb
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2017, 06:39:25 AM »
As I said in another topic, I come from a background of classical music and there was a time when quoting (or stealing) someone else's themes and melodies were not that uncommon, sometimes more openly, sometimes not. But this wasn't a problem because most of the time it wasn't plagiarism, but a way to find a new purpose and new development for a particular theme.

Jazz also does that a lot. How many licks are so famous that a lot of different artists used it? You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
And the same can be said for things beyond just the licks.

In the case of U2, I'm also not that bothered, but I must differentiate what I think of both songs...

a) as for Lights of Home, the borrowed riff doesn't bother me at all. It's a great riff, but the song is all U2 regardless (and the song outshines the riff). If another riff was there, maybe it would be less appealing, but the song would still be pretty much the same (or even better? who knows).

b) as for Summer of Love, this one bothers me a little bit more. I still think this a U2 song, since it was certainly cowritten by the band and some other producers, but this song is so much simpler in abundance of content compared to Lights of Home (lyrics aside) that it almost feels like a Ryan Tedder song produced by U2 instead of the other way around. That guitar lick is so infectious and the highlight of the song, used both as a riff and as a resolution, so f****** good! It's the sole thing that makes me go back to this song over and over again... and this lick is not from the band. And when we also realize that the initial conception of the chorus is also from Ryan Tedder, you gotta wonder what exactly is from U2 there (lyrics aside again). We'll never know.

But the final product is also from U2, be it the way the whole song was organized, the preferences in production, the bass, the bridge, the way the song is after the bridge, a lot of things. Even the guitar lick is a little different in chord progression compared to that clip in the video.

But I love the song regardless. And I don't think this diminishes the album or my opinion of the integrity and talent of the band.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 06:49:36 AM by lucas.homem »

Offline lucas.homem

• Numb
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2017, 06:41:36 AM »
And I completely agree with this post...

Every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief...

The original thought is one part of genius, the other part is working out how to use it. The entire creative process is collaborative, be it between the 4 band members, or them plus others.

Taking someones idea, and reflecting that through the prism of U2 means the end result is a U2 song, and why does it matter more if the originator of the idea is a guy from One Republic than, for example, Brian Eno? And, I don't recall any complaints about Eno's influence on songs in the past!

Offline radiofreenewport

• Babyface
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2017, 06:42:50 AM »
Borrowing and reinventing ideas doesn't bother me. There's an old Eno song that is a clear precursor to Numb, for example. As lucas notes, it's a common practice in other genres. But using ideas outright, especially from lesser songwriters, is bothersome mainly because it makes me wonder why Edge and Bono can't come up with their own ideas that are better. With the general decline in songwriting in this last phase of their career, I often wonder if they've just lost it -- it's happened to many good songwriters -- or if they just aren't putting in the work. They were on such an incredible creative roll from TUF thru Pop, with b-sides that are more inventive than anything they're doing now. While it's not fair to compare any artist to their absolute peak period, it does make me wonder if they're just out of inspiration or aren't working as hard on the creative/composing end as they used to.

Offline lucas.homem

• Numb
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2017, 06:47:47 AM »
Borrowing and reinventing ideas doesn't bother me. There's an old Eno song that is a clear precursor to Numb, for example. As lucas notes, it's a common practice in other genres. But using ideas outright, especially from lesser songwriters, is bothersome mainly because it makes me wonder why Edge and Bono can't come up with their own ideas that are better. With the general decline in songwriting in this last phase of their career, I often wonder if they've just lost it -- it's happened to many good songwriters -- or if they just aren't putting in the work. They were on such an incredible creative roll from TUF thru Pop, with b-sides that are more inventive than anything they're doing now. While it's not fair to compare any artist to their absolute peak period, it does make me wonder if they're just out of inspiration or aren't working as hard on the creative/composing end as they used to.

But we must not underestimate the importance of the producers to develop all the themes from classic U2. For example, wasn't Lanois that wrote the fingering of the riff of One?

Offline U2Fan

• Refugee
  • Everything in the f****** hotel is brown.
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2017, 06:55:26 AM »
Don't care.   As long as credit is given where appropriate, it's a non issue to me.