Author Topic: How do people feel that U2 has used bits from Haim/ One Republic songs?  (Read 1237 times)

Offline DK46

• Refugee
Re: How do people feel that U2 has used bits from Haim/ One Republic songs?
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2017, 09:37:10 PM »
I'm alright with it, it's part of how music is written and how collaboration works.  Granted, Tedder is not credited in the liner notes for writing the song, unlike with Lights of Home (granted that's a sample). 

He's a producer, it's part of his job, I mean they come into the studio with melodies, riffs, ideas, etc.  It's all speculation though, the album was just about finished in 2016, not sure when exactly though.  So, it may have been a demo and Tedder was just messing around with it.  On UTU2TM, Scott and Scott had mentioned a song they were writing for someone else, so maybe this was it, but then U2 wanted it back. 

I do recall Tedder re-writing/wrote parts of Every Breaking Wave and they brought him on because of his gift for melody and Summer of Love's riff is pretty damn catchy. 

Who knows ultimately?  The lyrics are certainly Bono's though as I can't quite see OneRepublic writing a song about Aleppo.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 09:40:37 PM by DK46 »

Offline Albono

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2017, 09:53:14 PM »
the songs turned out good. no complaints.

Offline emuhunter

• Refugee
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2017, 01:43:16 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Responding to the discussion above, I think it's a mix of both things:
– The Edge's struggles with creativity in recent years.
– A tradition of relying heavily on their producers for sounds.

On the latter, they certainly have form:
– The rhythm guitar (i.e. most of the song!) in Running to Stand Still was written and played by Daniel Lanois. Listen from around 44:54 of this: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

– Also, didn't Brian Eno fall out with U2 because he didn't get any songwriting credits for All That You Can't Leave Behind, on which he apparently contributed more than enough to justify one? As I recall, this is why he and Lanois didn't come back for HTDAAB but were included as full songwriting partners on NLOTH (after they'd made up).

That's really fascinating, I'd be very curious to know more about the Eno/Lanois thing... I hadn't heard about it but it makes sense.

Offline achtung child

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2017, 02:12:29 PM »
Take this with a grain of salt, most of Edge's riffs on this album are related to Page's 'Whole Lotta Love' - which is derivative of every Delta Blues artist - which also includes the Haim riff.  'With or Without You' is a blueprint of classical chord progression.  The only difference is those particular songs aren't publically named.

Offline Allhorizonbomb

• Wanderer
  • Self proclaimed biggest U2 fan in New York State
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2017, 04:11:25 PM »
I think the riff sounds better in the U2 from an objective standpoint, but that may be because I like a more raw sound then a distorted one.

Offline EducateMyMind

• Babyface
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2017, 07:52:29 PM »
How do you think I feel?

Betrayed. Bewildered.

Ha! This is great. Don’t pierce the toast!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline PookaMacP

• Refugee
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2017, 03:54:20 AM »
Responding to the discussion above, I think it's a mix of both things:
– The Edge's struggles with creativity in recent years.
– A tradition of relying heavily on their producers for sounds.

On the latter, they certainly have form:
– The rhythm guitar (i.e. most of the song!) in Running to Stand Still was written and played by Daniel Lanois. Listen from around 44:54 of this: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

– Also, didn't Brian Eno fall out with U2 because he didn't get any songwriting credits for All That You Can't Leave Behind, on which he apparently contributed more than enough to justify one? As I recall, this is why he and Lanois didn't come back for HTDAAB but were included as full songwriting partners on NLOTH (after they'd made up).

That's really fascinating, I'd be very curious to know more about the Eno/Lanois thing... I hadn't heard about it but it makes sense.

Here's what Eno told Q Magazine in 2007 (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login):
There were rumours you'd fallen out with U2...

We didn't really fall out, but I was quite upset when All That You Can't Leave Behind came out and on the credits it said under each song, "Music by U2", without mentioning that I'd made a contribution. I wasn't asking for more money. But credits, man, it doesn't cost you anything. But anyway that was all a long time ago and I've forgotten about it now.

Will you work together again?

I'm sure we will at some time, yeah.