Author Topic: How do people feel that U2 has used bits from Haim/ One Republic songs?  (Read 2497 times)

Offline Luzita

• Refugee
Re: How do people feel that U2 has used bits from Haim/ One Republic songs?
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2018, 04:41:28 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think most of us have long overlooked the contributions of producers to U2 songs since UF.  Is it really debatable that JT and AB owe as much to Eno and Lanois as to the Bono and Edge?  Or, rather, that they are the result of a unique collaborative process? 

When I first realized this I felt crummy about life for a while.  I wanted to believe those four guys were untouchable geniuses (though why did I want to believe this?), solely responsible for their greatest songs and albums.  Then I realized it's the work that matters. 

We know the peak of what U2 could achieve artistically on their own: War.  Then they made the wise choice to invite other creative personalities into their work.  This choice led to a career decades longer than it would have been, with much higher highs.

And, for what it's worth, the greatness of U2 music would never have existed without Larry, Adam, Bono, and the Edge, even if those four men are not solely responsible for it.

If War were really the peak of what they could achieve artistically on their own, it would be a damn high peak. But I donít think itís fair to say that since they were still very young then, still learning their craft. Thatís one of the reasons they sought out Eno ó to learn from him. In From the Sky Down, Bono pointed out that most great British rockers went to art school. He said Eno was their art school.

I donít think that JT and AB owe *as much* to Eno and Lanois as to the band, but they certainly contributed. Iím sure those records would have been different without them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline wons

• Headache in a Suitcase
Re: How do people feel that U2 has used bits from Haim/ One Republic songs?
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2018, 04:57:21 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think most of us have long overlooked the contributions of producers to U2 songs since UF. 

I don't think this is true. U2 are actually a better live band than they are a studio band. Steve Lillywhite used to always say it would be better for them to do the tour before recording the album. The reason being is that the band on their own would gradually create something live that was superior to what they had recorded. It was Brian Eno who tried to destroy "Where The Streets Have No Name", U2's greatest song in my opinion. On the making of the Unforgettable Fire, the band are the ones actually running things in the studio. Its the band deciding how many takes of a song to do, and which take is the one to go with. Brian And Danny are making suggestions and are firmly in the role of album producer. The band don't always use the same producers and there are no producers on the road. What the producers are doing is helping the band pick and record the version of the song they created for the album. There are obviously exceptions to this, but overall, this is how it has been from the start of their career to today. U2 are nice enough to let Danny and Brian take all the producer credit when the band should probably be listed there as well.