Do you like "Love is Bigger..."?

Love it
66 (80.5%)
Hate it
14 (17.1%)
After SOE, I'm sick of hearing "love"
2 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Author Topic: Do you like "Love is Bigger..."?  (Read 1035 times)

Offline TheOriginal

• Babyface
Do you like "Love is Bigger..."?
« on: December 03, 2017, 02:48:13 AM »
I'm very curious as to what people think. I'm seeing a huge disparity in reactions on this song - you either love it or hate it. I really don't like it so far (UTU2TM has swayed me a bit) for these reasons:
-"Love is bigger than anything in its way" is a horrible lyric and a horrible title
-It sounds like Coldplay, i.e. it is too poppy
But I can see why people would love it. It's a huge, anthemic song. For me, I just can't get past the lyrics - it's too teenage adolescent for me.

Offline lucas.homem

• Numb
Re: Do you like "Love is Bigger..."?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 03:50:53 AM »
I'm far from hating it (can even enjoy a little), but it's closer to hate than to love.

The song sounds enormous and epic as f..., and that's not a bad thing per se, but I really wish it had better dynamics overall. You hear a bunch of instruments layered one above the other, but they don't seem to really complement each other. And I just wish the rhythmic section (that includes the percussive piano) would be way more interesting than what it is there. Also, and that's even more subjective, I'm not very impressed by the melodies in this one, and the soaring pre-chorus is one of the only parts in SOE that sounds forced and unconvincing to me.

In conclusion, you know what kind of feeling they are going for in this track, very cheesy and cheeky, but they don't take me to that special place despite all the bigness and all the happy chord progression and all the soaring singing. So I'm left with only the cheesiness and nothing to shake my butt to. The bridge is nice, though.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 03:53:55 AM by lucas.homem »

Offline apoed

• Babyface
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 08:13:30 AM »
To me, it's a song where Bono is imagining he is talking to his children (and us, for that matter) from the grave.  As a parent myself, I find it heart-wrenching.  After hearing the song the first time or two, I didn't even make that connection at first.  Then I started thinking about the line, "If I could hear myself when I say...", and then I realized he can't hear himself because he's dead.  That just took this song to a whole other level with me.  I almost view it as Kite Part 2, and I love, love, love that song...

Offline scott7

• Stateless
  • Surrender
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 08:52:27 AM »
Kite part 2 is a good shout. I love it. It's up there with their best and the lyrics are great. Honest and creative I think. It's not easy to be that straightforward when writing lyrics. And the bridge is outstanding. First U2 song I shed tears to on first listen since Ultraviolet.

Offline Chip

• Numb
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 09:03:14 AM »
I neither love nor hate it yet. But LOH is easily their most emotional mortality song since "Kite" for me, not "Love Is Bigger . . ."

Offline blovesu2

• Babyface
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 09:33:16 AM »

to my ears, this is the worst U2 song I've ever heard.

Offline Clarky

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 04:53:48 PM »
^you see that kind of reaction is perplexing to me lol

I think its a great song, it pulls at my heartstrings or whatever you want to call it. I'd put it as my 3rd favourite track off the album. It's almost quintessential U2, so how can you not appreciate it?

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I Am Here
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 06:53:28 PM »
I didn't vote as none of the options applied to me. I am somewhere in the middle of love and hate. I kind of like the grandness of the song but it mostly doesn't work for me.

Offline ToRontoRon

• Babyface
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2017, 08:04:18 PM »
I think the song is absolutely gorgeous.  Bono is as passionate and yearning as ever, and the instrumentation is almost classical in nature and fits perfectly with the vocals.  Right now it's my favourite song of all time, but it's also brand spanking new.  Once the novelty wears off, though, I can't see it not being in my top 10 favourite songs, and it has a shot at #1.  To me it sounds like One or Stay, only slightly more elegant, without losing any of the passion...  Just breathtaking.

I never thought that at this stage in their career they would write another stone cold classic, but imo, that's exactly what they've done.

Offline GoldenStateGirl

• Wanderer
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2017, 09:53:45 PM »
LOVE IT. ADORE IT. Its beautiful, soaring, sentimental, and it brings a tear to my eye.

Offline Jdelbove

• Babyface
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2017, 10:22:15 PM »
I love it! Sure it screams U2 but when done right there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.  Great drums and Bono's vocal on the ohhhh pre-choruses is great.  His tone is so rich and love that his voice still has this much power.  Who else can sing like this?  Also I personally don't find the song or lyrics cheesy in any respect.  It's a beautiful thought - love can and will conquer all.  Much like All you need is love (I never hear anyone say the Beatles were cheesy).  Maybe its the time we live in or just u2/bono hate.  The part that starts "if the moon saw crying" is also beautiful.  Whats not to like?

Offline DulmoU2

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2017, 10:57:21 PM »
One of the few songs I don't like.

I really dont like it. Sounds like coldplay/imagine dragons trying too hard to be U2....
Like the whole album its brilliantly produced but its a NO for me.

Otherwise im really digging the album.

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2017, 06:48:49 AM »
Love it.  Yeah, I've noticed that it seems to be a pretty polarizing tune among U2 fans.  It elicits the goose bumps for me, in a big way.  My favorite song of the new album.   

Offline blovesu2

• Babyface
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2017, 10:30:35 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
One of the few songs I don't like.

I really dont like it. Sounds like coldplay/imagine dragons trying too hard to be U2....
Like the whole album its brilliantly produced but its a NO for me.

Otherwise im really digging the album.

Ditto. Great album, but this tune is straight from a Disney or romcom soundtrack. Just awful through and through.

Offline lucas.homem

• Numb
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2017, 02:12:46 PM »
Disney tunes are great. Love Is Bigger not quite.