Do you like "Love is Bigger..."?

Love it
66 (80.5%)
Hate it
14 (17.1%)
After SOE, I'm sick of hearing "love"
2 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Author Topic: Do you like "Love is Bigger..."?  (Read 1034 times)

Offline GoalisSoul40

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Re: Do you like "Love is Bigger..."?
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2017, 02:28:10 PM »
This has been one of the few songs I have "struggled" with so far (I love SoE overall very much). There are elements to this song that I really like, but I keep oscillating between thinking this is a fantastic song that will be great live, and, on the other hand, a missed opportunity. There are many elements in the song that I like, but they never fully come together as well as they could have. Seems a bit of a case where the whole is not as good as the sum of its parts. That being said, I am far from hating the song.  In fact, I like it very much and wish it had been more fully realized. Perhaps it will come alive live. Perhaps a guitar solo will be added?

On a side note, I almost feel the album could/should have ended with this track. Then you would have had perfect bookends with Love is all we have left and love is bigger...

Offline Sonofabono

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2017, 05:43:36 PM »
I love it. LOVE it. If I had been having a bad day the first time I listened to it I would have been crying.

Offline apoed

• Babyface
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2017, 06:26:03 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I love it! Sure it screams U2 but when done right there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.  Great drums and Bono's vocal on the ohhhh pre-choruses is great.  His tone is so rich and love that his voice still has this much power.  Who else can sing like this?  Also I personally don't find the song or lyrics cheesy in any respect.  It's a beautiful thought - love can and will conquer all.  Much like All you need is love (I never hear anyone say the Beatles were cheesy).  Maybe its the time we live in or just u2/bono hate.  The part that starts "if the moon saw crying" is also beautiful.  Whats not to like?

^This.  After hearing this song, one of my first thoughts was, "U2 have finally successfully written that Beatles song they've been dying to make all these years" and "All You Need is Love" is the one that came to mind for me, too.  "Original of the Species" was close, but they finally pulled it off here. 

Offline DulmoU2

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2017, 10:31:47 AM »
Disney tunes are great. Love Is Bigger not quite.

Disney tunes win oscars ;)

Offline Lebowski

• Stateless
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2017, 08:53:22 PM »
This was kind of snuck up on me. It was one I thought was just kind of there at first, but then it was light the switch was flicked suddenly and now I love it.  Definitely one of my new favorites now.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Staring at the Sun
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2017, 10:02:25 PM »
I think itís one of the most amazing, pure things U2 have ever created. Itís not a song with a story or a detailed picture. Itís a song with a message: sing for joy. It doesnít have to be super-deep or have amazing lyrics, because itís neither. Itís a song from someone who came really, really close (going off his accounts) to dying and now wants to make a joyful noise to the Lord (and I say that as an atheist). This song is one of the most pure U2 moments ever. This is the ultimate extension of U2 creating a moment rather than telling a story.

Offline TongueInMyEar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Love it won't be long....
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2017, 04:05:10 AM »
At first really didn't like it, just too formulaic and Coldplay sounding.

But somehow it's managed to sweep me along, and now look forward to it coming on.

Offline ahmadsquad

• Babyface
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2017, 06:47:42 AM »
I like it; my U2-loving wife does not. She feels the "wah-wah-wooah-wah" synths at the beginning do not sound like anything close to U2. She says it's way too poppy. And I see in the album notes that one of The Chainsmokers played a part in the recording--I'm not surprised in the least. That synth, though, is such an earworm! I've found myself humming that part incessantly the last few days.

Offline davis

• Wanderer
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2017, 07:16:02 AM »
Love it.  Didn't at first.  I wonder if being a Christian (of sorts) and having young kids gives me a different perspective on the sentiment expressed...

Can't hear it without tears now. 

Offline miracle_al

• Babyface
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2017, 12:41:43 PM »
I like it.  It kinda reminds me of "Yahweh".  Both are epic.  It sounds like worship music to me.

Offline The Fly

• Stateless
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2017, 05:36:45 PM »
I can't stand it. Way too cliche and cheesy.

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2017, 08:57:34 AM »
I am also one who doesn't love it but doesn't hate it either. It's just sort of there. Underwhelming vocally despite the grandeur of the music.

Offline blovesu2

• Babyface
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2017, 09:39:19 AM »
I can't stand it. Way too cliche and cheesy.

It's nice to know I'm not alone there. I'm stunned anybody thinks this is a good song - but to each their own. Happily deleted it and pray it never gets played live. CRINGE

Offline croni

• Babyface
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2017, 11:16:02 AM »
I can't stand it. The worst song on the album.

Offline miracle_al

• Babyface
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2017, 12:27:42 PM »
A few days on, this is the song that I find myself going back to the most.  Initially, it was 'Little Things', then 'Red Flag Day.'  But now it's 'Love is Bigger.'  I catch myself singing and humming this song all day long.