Do you like "Love is Bigger..."?

Love it
87 (77%)
Hate it
20 (17.7%)
After SOE, I'm sick of hearing "love"
6 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 111

Author Topic: Do you like "Love is Bigger..."?  (Read 2977 times)

Offline TongueInMyEar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Love it won't be long....
Re: Do you like "Love is Bigger..."?
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2017, 02:07:31 AM »
This is definitely a grower for me. At first didn't like the title, the song felt clichéd and formulaic. But the total optimism of it really got me eventually.

Bono's voice in the chorus I can't help but get swept away with. I really like the bridge too. I can understand why it's a bit of a love/hate song.

Offline mc

• Stateless
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2017, 01:42:53 PM »
Its ok but the horns/intro is jarring. Its very ‘take that’.
Mercy would have been better.

Offline lightmyway92

• Wanderer
  • On Borderland We Run
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2017, 08:35:30 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I love it! Sure it screams U2 but when done right there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.  Great drums and Bono's vocal on the ohhhh pre-choruses is great.  His tone is so rich and love that his voice still has this much power.  Who else can sing like this?  Also I personally don't find the song or lyrics cheesy in any respect.  It's a beautiful thought - love can and will conquer all.  Much like All you need is love (I never hear anyone say the Beatles were cheesy).  Maybe its the time we live in or just u2/bono hate.  The part that starts "if the moon saw crying" is also beautiful.  Whats not to like?

^This.  After hearing this song, one of my first thoughts was, "U2 have finally successfully written that Beatles song they've been dying to make all these years" and "All You Need is Love" is the one that came to mind for me, too.  "Original of the Species" was close, but they finally pulled it off here.
The much-maligned (on this forum at least) "Wild Honey" is very Beatle-esque as well. It is pretty much an album filler type of song, but it does bring the Beatles to my mind when I hear it.

Offline lightmyway92

• Wanderer
  • On Borderland We Run
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2017, 08:49:01 AM »
I love it! Sure it screams U2 but when done right there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Great drums and Bono's vocal on the ohhhh pre-choruses is great.  His tone is so rich and love that his voice still has this much power.  Who else can sing like this?  Also I personally don't find the song or lyrics cheesy in any respect.  It's a beautiful thought - love can and will conquer all.  Much like All you need is love (I never hear anyone say the Beatles were cheesy).  Maybe its the time we live in or just u2/bono hate.  The part that starts "if the moon saw crying" is also beautiful.  Whats not to like?
I have often wondered how U2 sounding like themselves ever got to be considered a negative.  I mean, isn't U2's sound/style what drew us to them to begin with?  It's something I have never really understood.

Offline lucas.homem

• Numb
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2017, 08:54:26 AM »
Whenever U2 come up with a lighthearted song with a happy melody people think of Beatles, but Beatles have way more "stylization" and sophistication in their songwriting than something like Wild Honey. The Showman is a lot closer, but I don't even think U2 were going specifically for Beatles there.

And I don't understand how is that filler. I guess when people don't enjoy a genre, it becomes filler.

Offline PROJ2823

• Refugee
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2017, 09:41:54 AM »
The only song I skipp every time, for me, it is a mediocre Coldplay song that thinks it is a U2 song, it has all the elements of U2's later work that I do not like. Really takes the entire album down.
I'm also very amazed people like this song so much. Maybe I should just try a little harder and listen to the entire song for once.

Offline blovesu2

• Wanderer
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2017, 09:56:22 AM »
The only song I skipp every time, for me, it is a mediocre Coldplay song that thinks it is a U2 song, it has all the elements of U2's later work that I do not like. Really takes the entire album down.
I'm also very amazed people like this song so much. Maybe I should just try a little harder and listen to the entire song for once.

One should not have to try so hard to like a song. Should be effortless. I'm with you ; it brings the whole album down its so awful. However, that's easy to fix if you're digital - just delete the song from the running order. Album sounds MUCH improved in its closing without this awful blemish

Offline lucas.homem

• Numb
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2017, 10:25:08 AM »
I don't know which song you're talking about, but not listening to the entire song not even once is weird.

Offline blovesu2

• Wanderer
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2017, 11:35:30 AM »

then stay weird and skip the rest of this song ; its safe to do so    ;)

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2017, 05:01:59 AM »
I saw the live performance of this from Abbey Road and I have to say that it is kinda has some cheap Christian rock sentiment. Although the title itself is brilliant.

Offline guinnyu2

• Stateless
  • hi, my name's frank
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2018, 04:56:49 AM »
I saw the live performance of this from Abbey Road and I have to say that it is kinda has some cheap Christian rock sentiment. Although the title itself is brilliant.

That's really weird because the Abbey Road performance actually helped me like the song. I absolutely love it now the more I listen to it.

Offline Rasmus

• Refugee
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2018, 10:06:02 AM »
It's like U2 doing a (kind of cheesy) musical number. I dont like it that much and I think it's way too obvious and simple in its message - kind of an example of the annoying tendencies that U2 acquired from 2000 onward.

Offline TheRealEdge

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • I Will Follow
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2018, 01:12:51 PM »
I like the weird sounding electric synthesised voices thingy, but the rest is pure soft nice boring blandness.

This could've been much better.

Offline JFW

• Numb
  • Wondering why I still walk the earth
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2018, 04:43:40 PM »

That's really weird because the Abbey Road performance actually helped me like the song. I absolutely love it now the more I listen to it.
yup, same feeling.

Offline pan360

• Babyface
  • The universe is beautiful but cold
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2018, 04:13:19 AM »
Not my favorite track on SOE but a song that I loved from first listen. By the way, there is not a single song on SOE that I hate.