Author Topic: The book of your heart  (Read 2045 times)

Offline guidowater

• Babyface
The book of your heart
« on: December 03, 2017, 09:59:40 AM »
Wow i realy love this song. I am stunned That this was cut from the innitial album. Personally i think this would have been a perfect second track and then Light from home after it.

Bonos voice in de second chorus is something i hoped to hear again some day. Realy powerfull lyrics.

What do you guys think? Does this belong on a b side or...
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 11:02:03 AM by guidowater »

Offline lucas.homem

• Numb
Re: The book of your heart
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 10:14:04 AM »
*The Book of Your Heart

Offline lucas.homem

• Numb
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 10:15:00 AM »
I really like this song and i think it should be in the main album. The ambience is amazing and Bono's lower tone is otherwordly seductive. And... who else hears Hotel California in the outro? lol

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 03:21:42 PM »
It feels a lot like some of the darker Joshua Tree b-sides to me, Walk To The Water and Deep In The Heart, for instance. I love that it's kind of creepy, coldly talking about scars on the skin and each entry of the skin and then saying that it is about a wedding...there is something weird about the situation the song is describing.

Offline Eno

• Wanderer
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 07:32:36 PM »
Phenomenal song.

Offline binary_code

• Stateless
  • Wanna be the song that you hear in your head
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 07:05:49 AM »
The song didn't quite get to me before I'd given it a few listens - which often seems to be the case with great songs. However, suddenly it was as if I got to peek behind the curtain, so to say. This song is completely addictive! I had it on repeat the whole way home from work yesterday, lol. The whole feel of the song is mesmerising, athmospheric and out of this world, but the thing that stands out to me the most are Bono's vocals. So good! Both the deep, confronting notes he hits in the verses that makes you stop everything else you're doing (reminds me of Velvet Dress) and then the "Babe, I don't belong to you.."-part which has this incredible emotive and almost desperate feel to it. Not to forget the vibrato in finishing the phrases -beautiful.

Parts of the song reminds me of Your Blue Room, only it's more dynamic, and in the bridge Bono conveys emotion like he did in his earlier days on A sort of homecoming, Pride etc,. Although in a different way, his voice has changed bc of age and all, but it's still so powerful and manages to express so much more than the mere words of the song.

Offline binary_code

• Stateless
  • Wanna be the song that you hear in your head
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 07:13:30 AM »
Speaking of the words of the song... I would be curious to hear your interpretation of the lyrics! I hear a lot of biblical imagery, but that might just be me hearing things that are not there. What do you perceive it to be about?   

Offline GoalisSoul40

• Babyface
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 10:16:53 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Speaking of the words of the song... I would be curious to hear your interpretation of the lyrics! I hear a lot of biblical imagery, but that might just be me hearing things that are not there. What do you perceive it to be about?

I am also hearing some biblical/spiritual allusions.  Lots of nuptial imagery, maybe some Song of Songs, etc.

Offline DrDoom171

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 01:29:15 PM »
I think this song is great.  It's in my top 3 for this album and it's not even really on the album!  It has The Unforgettable Fire atmospheric sound blended with the dark chords from Achtung Baby and guitar work of Joshua Tree.  A really, really good song.  Glad U2 recorded this and at least put it on the deluxe edition as a bonus track.

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 06:25:13 PM »
I cant believe this song didn't make the main album. Is very good. Maybe it didn't quite fit thematically or from a track listing perspective or something, but a good song is a good song. Same with Crystal Ballroom re SOI. Or if they didn't really rate the song, you have to wonder just how much good unreleased stuff they have in the cupboard.

At least these days, you can change track lists around. I have it in after Landlady and love the section from Little Things through to Blackout.

Offline guinnyu2

• Stateless
  • hi, my name's frank
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2018, 03:29:04 PM »
For me, this song is one of - if not THE - best songs vocally. I can't think of a song where Bono hits the lowest of low notes and the highest of high notes in the same song. Not in last 30 years at least!

The lyrics remind me of how hearts put people in a contract of love - that's the beauty of the scar, that is the contract of the heart - and how marriage does not mean you own your other half - babe you don't belong to me, it's not that easy

The music itself reminds me of late Bowie. Along with the lyrics, its a very bittersweet vibe.

It's probably my favourite in the SOE collection along with TLTTGYA.

Offline JaraSangASongAWeapon

• Party Girl/Boy
  • And the moon turned red over One Tree Hill
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2018, 04:49:29 PM »
Larry's drums near the end are incredible.

Offline Lebowski

• Refugee
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2018, 06:53:32 PM »
Been listening to this one a bit more lately and really loving it.  Definitely one of the better songs from the SOE sessions.  Love it.

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2018, 08:55:10 PM »
Yeah. I love the part he sings "it is the contract of the heart".

Shiver me trebles! Is that what you're thinking? Couldn't sing it justice live.

Offline fresno dave

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • "You wanted violins.." about.me/davewainscott
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2018, 07:04:51 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

On the biblical imagery..the title and chorus come directly from the Bible.  From Bono's buddy Eugene Peterson's translation.

Psalm 18:24 The Message (MSG)
20-24 God made my life complete
    when I placed all the pieces before him.
When I got my act together,
    he gave me a fresh start.
Now Iím alert to Godís ways;
    I donít take God for granted.
Every day I review the ways he works;
    I try not to miss a trick.
I feel put back together,
    and Iím watching my step.
God rewrote the text of my life
    when I opened the book of my heart to his eyes.