Author Topic: The book of your heart  (Read 1575 times)

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
Re: The book of your heart
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2018, 10:34:06 PM »
So with all the talk of the MRI sounds at the start of the shows and the hints that Bono went into cardiac arrest at the end of 2016, suddenly this song makes total sense. It's Bono talking to his doctor about his medical exams and x-rays, and then him reflecting on his marriage to his band mates.

Talking to his doctor about the charts and MRI results and his surgery:

Write
Right at the start
You put this into words
How you think we should proceed
Yeah

You wanted me alone
With the pictures that you’ve seen
Of where you haven’t been
But where you want to go

Him relating his surgery to his life as a member of U2:

You can change your name
Or even who you are
That’s the beauty of the scar
That is the contract of the heart

This is our wedding day
This is the promise that we’ll stay
Through long descriptive passages
Where we don’t know what to say

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2018, 10:11:23 PM »
It's a beautiful tune and Bono's vocals are rich and lush.  I didn't catch the doctor reference.  What I hear is a great deal of nuptial imagery--the Song of Songs definitely comes to mind.  It seems to be a very realistic and no holds barred look at love, though.  The line "this is the promise that we'll stay; through the long, descriptive passages where we don't know what to say..." is so spot on for anyone involved in a long term marriage commitment.  Sometimes the commitment part is all that gets you through. Bono usually writes very realistic (as opposed to starry-eyed) love songs.

Offline laoghaire

• Party Girl/Boy
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2018, 05:32:03 AM »
Ian - whoa. Good job.

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2018, 11:28:39 AM »
This is one of the best songs from its album. It feels like they put a great one aside to make the deluxe edition worth buying. And it worked. It's not a b-side at all, far from it, and it doesn't sound like it was intended as such.

I don't know if it's the least commercial song on the album but if it is, I love that about it. The song would have made a great opening track.

Offline JFW

• Numb
  • Wondering why I still walk the earth
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2018, 06:31:44 AM »
They should play it live!

Offline Chip

• Numb
  • "Hey, I've been waiting to get home a long time"
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2018, 06:29:39 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Speaking of the words of the song... I would be curious to hear your interpretation of the lyrics! I hear a lot of biblical imagery, but that might just be me hearing things that are not there. What do you perceive it to be about?   

The way I read the song, it's a meditation on what it means to be on God's heart, springing from Genesis 1 and 2, with natural substantive connections to other parts of Genesis, the Song of Songs, and other passages as well. "Right from the start" puts us at the beginning of creation, with the creation of the first human beings, along with God's attendant commands ("How you think we should proceed") and desire for intimacy with his creation ("You wanted me alone . . ." ). Human beings experience their own "God-shaped hole" right from the start of their existence, with wonder at the creation around them and with the knowledge that they were made for something greater than what they see: just as the leaf and the bird naturally, if metaphorically in the former case, sing and speak, so human beings were made for something more than what is in this world. That is to be written in "the book of [God's] heart," and in the second verse Bono uses Genesis's covenant imagery to describe this: changing your name/who you are as you follow God (like Abram/Abraham), receiving a scar as a result (as with circumcision), and marked by the permanency that is meant to mark a wedding (here we're back to Edenic imagery, although with echoes of the covenantal language found in the prophets and New Testament). This is a "contract of the heart" (i.e., covenant) and is ultimately entered into freely, and the song's coda depicts that marriage as difficult to maintain, humanly speaking. All of this naturally applies as well to a human wedding, with Bono's own marriage to Ali almost certainly in view, so we're back to the common WOWY/AIWIY type of scenario where Bono cannot help but intermingle thoughts of the two together. One possible take here is that wedding-day thoughts lead to a larger reflection on God's purposes, or you could conclude that the order is the reverse. But we're left with a meditation on the permanency, and difficulties associated with, relationships both human and divine, marked by allusions to Genesis and a wide variety of other biblical writings.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 10:19:21 PM by Chip »

Offline laoghaire

• Party Girl/Boy
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2018, 08:29:07 AM »
Wow.

Offline kate27

• Babyface
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2018, 05:27:26 PM »
Another one of my faves off the album. Has a very Unforgettable Fire vibe to me.

Offline BlueSquirrel

• Wanderer
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2018, 08:28:47 AM »

Yes, indeed! It reminds me so much of the atmospheric guitar textures on both the Unforgettable Fire and No Line On The Horizon. I love the way the bass, drums and guitar build up gradually to add more energy and passion to the song (from 2:25 onwards, it's stunning).

The vocals are flawless.
The lyrics are subtle and beautiful.

This line is so moving! There is so much soul-crushing honesty in this song.
Actually, after reading Matt Mc Gee's very touching column on how "Landlady" related to his own life as well, I started thinking about how "Landlady" and "Book of your hearts" went hand in hand in terms of lyrics and that they probably should have been together on the album ("btw landlady could have had more of the atmospheric feel/texture imho).

Anyway, it's definitely one of the highlights of Songs of Experience. So glad I got the Deluxe CD version...

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2018, 02:27:27 PM »
A bit off topic, but relating to the "Book of Your Heart" theme:  So in the opening sequence of the tour, Bono's MRI scan is showing?  So are we looking at his heart tissue on screen?  Are we literally looking at the inside of his heart?  Ok, if so, I'm officially blown away.... :o

Offline gmoneypower

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2018, 07:10:42 PM »
Possibly the Best song on the record. Phenomenal.

Offline MrsZoo

• Babyface
  • Midnight is where the day begins
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2018, 05:49:09 PM »
Completely blown away if it is his MRI too. Love Book of Your Heart soooooo much ❤️ Would be amazing to hear it live x