Author Topic: Edge's Singing  (Read 466 times)

Offline redrunningred

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Planet Earth Is Blue
Edge's Singing
« on: December 03, 2017, 04:17:32 PM »
The Edge is truly one of the greatest guitarists i've heard, his ability to construct sonic structures is unparalleled. But what I think is unappreciated about him is his singing.  I don't think many rock bands have as much reliance on a single backup singer then U@ has on the Edge. His backing vocals are key components of many of U2's hits. What would Sunday Bloody Sunday be without his chorus vocals?  I can't think of a backup singer this consistently used and vital to the bands sound then the Edge is. Thoughts?

Offline Clarky

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
Re: Edge's Singing
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 04:44:20 PM »
I think his contribution to the chorus of Red Flag Day is analogous to SBS. Gives it that little something extra.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • welp, looks like I'm not making it to 10k posts
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 05:01:55 PM »
I will always wish that the band had utilized him like Pete Townshend in The Who: as a sometimes lead vocalist in addition to singing backup.

Offline redrunningred

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Planet Earth Is Blue
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 05:07:26 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I will always wish that the band had utilized him like Pete Townshend in The Who: as a sometimes lead vocalist in addition to singing backup.

I think the dynamic that would explain it is similar to that of Noel Gallagher. Since Noel and Pete wrote the lyrics to the songs they felt entitled to sing a song or two per album. Edge just happens to be an incredible backup vocalist, so they are less likely to use them then say, if he wrote the lyrics.

Offline danlougee

• Stateless
  • Midnight is where the day begins
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 07:16:51 PM »
RHCP relied pretty heavily on Frusciante's backup

Offline cwc

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 08:51:54 PM »
The Edge is truly one of the greatest guitarists i've heard, his ability to construct sonic structures is unparalleled. But what I think is unappreciated about him is his singing.  I don't think many rock bands have as much reliance on a single backup singer then U@ has on the Edge. His backing vocals are key components of many of U2's hits. What would Sunday Bloody Sunday be without his chorus vocals?  I can't think of a backup singer this consistently used and vital to the bands sound then the Edge is. Thoughts?
The only other "backup" singer that comes to mind where if he's missing the music falters, is Mike Mills from R.E.M.  He brings that same distinctiveness to where the music just doesn't sound the same. Same with the Edge. Actually, his version of Sunday Bloody Sunday as the lead from POPMart is one of the highlights of U2.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Offline NintendoFan204

• Babyface
  • Don't mind me... just some cool guy.
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 10:00:30 PM »
I agree. I also love when he gets verses. His guitar solo and then singing part in Miracle Drug still gives me chills sometimes. Best part of one of my favorite U2 songs. And I love his part on Best  Thing. His singing and backing vocals are vital to the band and such an important of their songs. They wouldn't be the same without it.

And of course, he is an incredible guitarist, just as you said.

Offline Veritastheviper

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 11:01:12 PM »
City of Blinding Lights - Chicago video. The mix and singing was different enough from the album to really capture his voice and falsetto. Where I first noticed his dynamic addition to songs. Maybe I'm slow...

(And the drum track changeup added to the song's uniqueness live). (Oh, and it was one of the first things in HD broadcast on TV - looked so good, and to believe on JT the screen was even higher resolution)

Offline redrunningred

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Planet Earth Is Blue
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2017, 11:27:21 PM »
I agree. I also love when he gets verses. His guitar solo and then singing part in Miracle Drug still gives me chills sometimes. Best part of one of my favorite U2 songs. And I love his part on Best  Thing. His singing and backing vocals are vital to the band and such an important of their songs. They wouldn't be the same without it.

His skills at falsetto are also really good. The Fly chorus anyone?

Offline NintendoFan204

• Babyface
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2017, 11:28:52 PM »

That's one of his best songs! His vocals and guitar are top-notch on that track. One of my favs on AB.

Offline JFW

• Numb
  • Wondering why I still walk the earth
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2017, 03:54:59 AM »

On the studio album, Bono is doing the falsetto

I like it when he joins on the Showman

Offline redrunningred

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Planet Earth Is Blue
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2017, 07:34:48 AM »

Oh for sure, i was referencing the live versions. I like Bono's falsetto.  Lemon is great.  But the fact that the Edge is such a dynamic singer and just does backing vocals 99% of the time irks me, but at the end of the day, Bono can't play any instruments at the moment, so I don't want him to feel left out lol.

Offline NintendoFan204

• Babyface
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2017, 07:44:34 AM »

Yup. Both are amazing on The Fly! His part on The Showman is really good as well.

Offline cabral255

• Stateless
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2017, 12:26:33 PM »
Watch "U2 - Love Is Blindness (Edge's Solo Performance)" on YouTube

Offline cabral255

• Stateless
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2017, 12:27:59 PM »
Watch "U2 - The Edge Running To Stand Still (Acoustic Version)" on YouTube